• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

playing down to competition

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

It seems like it occurs a lot... before you read further understand that I am a big fan of jim leavitt and this coaching staff...

My main question is this:

Does our problem of playing down to the competition fall on the shoulders of the coaching staff? Players slacking off and expecting to run over an opponent is coaching in my opinion. The coaches need to find a way to make his players believe that this game could KILL our season (even if it really wouldnt)... I  think the coaches need to do a better job of getting our guys up to play this type of game... Sooner or later we are going to be on the losing end of one of these games.

this is leavitt way

he cant motivate them

Guess Carroll failed to motivate USC once again.  Must be the Carroll way because it lays one every year.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  667
  • Days Won:  0

i think in terms of closing teams out, the Big 12 powerhouses like OU, missouri, and kansas (albeit they lost to us), know how to HAMMER inferrior opponents.  they run up the score and have no problem doing so.  this allows them to pull their starters come 4th quarter and a) ensure they dont get hurt, B) get some playing time in for the youngsters [like, ahem, BJ daniels].

• Content Count:  3,827

See: the top of my signature.

All I'm gonna say is this: the FIU game was the last game against this "type" of opponent that USF will get my money/support as a traveling fan.....and based on the things I heard from other USF fans as I walked to my car, I'm not the only one who feels this way.

It took me 6 days to gain the composure needed to start browsing these boards again. Just sayin.

• Content Count:  148

Saturdays Game against NC State is the only way we should play v. weaker opponents!!  The following Saturdays are the only weeks where 50% effort will cut it: 

10/11/08

11/08/08

11/29/08

Yeah, they're all bye Saturdays, the great thing about putting NC State away at 1/2 time, was that Selvie didn't have to come in, Grothe came out, and we needed that rest and prep time for Pitt, we don't always need emotional 4-quarter battles from weaker teams.  No excuses for UCF, but TN-Martin (was), FIU, NC State, Rut. & Syracuse should/ should've been/be games that we put in the "W" column this year by 1/2 time or by the end of the 3rd. 

Playing down to the competition, acting like it is a spring game/ scrimmage or that a 1/2 effort will cut it leads to injuries, upsets and near upsets. 

Archived