• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

playing down to competition

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

It seems like it occurs a lot... before you read further understand that I am a big fan of jim leavitt and this coaching staff...

My main question is this:

Does our problem of playing down to the competition fall on the shoulders of the coaching staff? Players slacking off and expecting to run over an opponent is coaching in my opinion. The coaches need to find a way to make his players believe that this game could KILL our season (even if it really wouldnt)... I  think the coaches need to do a better job of getting our guys up to play this type of game... Sooner or later we are going to be on the losing end of one of these games.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

The players change every year and every year we play down to the competition so I say its on the shoulders of the coaching staff

• Content Count:  3,403

The players change every year and every year we play down to the competition so I say its on the shoulders of the coaching staff

Except UNC, UCF, Syracuse, and Louisville last year.

• Content Count:  7,890

Except UNC, UCF, Syracuse, and Louisville last year.

I was looking at the fact that every year we have at least one game where we play like crap vs weak teams

• Content Count:  637

It could be the coaches, or it could be the "type of" player we're recruiting in many instances. Maybe we're just not getting the most disciplined guys, coaches cannot be expected to undo 18 years of indiscipline.

• Content Count:  2,523

This is ALL COACHING fellas.  Want to see how you know?  Look at every point where the offense isn't putting up points and you'll see there's a lack of downfield passing.

This team is PERFECT for throwing the ball all over the place.  Want to know why we didn't put up jack on FIU?  How many pass plays over 10 yards did we have?  Don't even get me started on how many passes PERIOD we had in the second half...

You can't expect an offense to churn out large amounts of points in CLOCK KILLING MODE.

We only lit up Kansas when we started using our talent correctly...BURNING THEIR DBs...

We have fast guys and a QB who can throw it deep well, why not use it?

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

It seems like it occurs a lot... before you read further understand that I am a big fan of jim leavitt and this coaching staff...

My main question is this:

Does our problem of playing down to the competition fall on the shoulders of the coaching staff? Players slacking off and expecting to run over an opponent is coaching in my opinion. The coaches need to find a way to make his players believe that this game could KILL our season (even if it really wouldnt)... I  think the coaches need to do a better job of getting our guys up to play this type of game... Sooner or later we are going to be on the losing end of one of these games.

the jim leavitt wAy

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

the coaching staff cant find away to motivate our boys

they great  programs like usc dont have this problem week after week;year after year

• Content Count:  148

It seems like for the past 3 years, we've had a game where we had no intensity coming in because I guess we felt like 50% effort was more than what would be needed.  Take the 1st FIU game in Tampa 2005, FAU last year & FIU on Saturday.  I totally understand that after you have two highly emtional games that we wouldn't take the field with the same intensity we took v. WVU last year, but if Saturday's game had another quarter left after they got their TD.....  You might say the Sun Bowl or Rutgers, while both sucked, Oregon was better than us and trick plays and bad calls beat us at RU. 

I really don't know who needs to work on this (coaching staff, players) probably both, but one risk (besides losing) which always becomes more probable is injuries.  These teams hit and play us hard because their reved up and we're going at 50%.  Did you see some of those hits?  The fumbles...or close to fumbles?  No cb, I don't care how fast he is should be able to knock Taylor back or stop Plancher dead in his tracks.  We don't put it in 6th gear, they do, they hit hard and they cause "loose balls" not necessarily fumbles and injuries.

We should have been able to basically abuse this team with our RBs.  For the 1st quarter, yeah.. we get their overly intense play, but they're not a very deep team and we should have been able to knock the wind out of this team by the end of the 3rd quarter.  We should have been adding to the lead in the 4th, not giving up 9 and escaping. 

Archived