• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

My thoughts on BJ Daniels

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  667
  • Days Won:  0

I know for afact  that BJ is not being redshirted  because the coaches don't have faith in Grant to take us as far as we can go. 

I was shocked when I heard this, because I thought Grant was a good back up. 

ok, well if that is the case, then i understand.. Grant doesnt perform miracles out there and does look like a typical backup.. definitely someone we are not grooming to be the next big thing.  however, if that is the case, then IF grothe goes down, we better see BJ in there.. that is IF.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527

you do have to wonder why Grothe was reshirted?  When he arrived, all we had was Pat J.  We REALLY needed someone, yet we sat Grothe?  This year, we're NOWHERE near that desparate, yet we don't sit BJ?

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Comparing BJ Daniels to MG is like comparing Pat J to Marquel Blackwell.  Wait until he gets his shot.

• Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

you do have to wonder why Grothe was reshirted?  When he arrived, all we had was Pat J.  We REALLY needed someone, yet we sat Grothe?  This year, we're NOWHERE near that desparate, yet we don't sit BJ?

No knock on Matt, but was he phsycially ready to play? I know over the last 3 years we have seen his arm strength grow a ton, hes gotten faster and stronger. B.J appears to have the phsyical make up to play right now in an emergency, im not positive Matt had that.

• Content Count:  1,894

well cjl might have to start think about getting him some more playing time in the games. Regardless of the score give him a series in the game. I think he will handle the offense fine and when In doubt he can run.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

We had Carlton Hill who was supposed to take over. I imagine Grothe was redshirted because the ultimate goal was to move him to a different position. But then Hill wasn't what we thought, got in trouble too much, and Grothe impressed (specifically before the bowl game).

Also, Courtney Denson was playing QB that year, and was named the starter at the beginning of the season, so the depth chart when they made the decision was...

Denson - starter, transfer from Auburn, expected to be pretty good

Julmiste - experienced QB with some starts

Hill - supposed freshman phenom

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Comparing BJ Daniels to MG is like comparing Pat J to Marquel Blackwell.  Wait until he gets his shot.

You are absolutely correct, though you have it backwards. Just like PJ, everyone expects BJD to be great, but, just like Blackwell, Grothe already is great.

At any rate, I think I saw another thread in which Grothe and BJ were mentioned, please go seek that one out an comment on how you don't think Grothe is any good and BJ is the next coming of Jesus Christ. We'll see when we see, but for now, NO ONE is beating out MG for the job. When you find that other thread and make your post, rest assured that it will come up as "ignored" on my screen. That's an achievement because I continue to read smazza's drivel.

• Content Count:  3,403

You can complain about people pointing it out all you want, but the fact remains that if he doesn't get any playing time this year the lack of a redshirt was pointless.  I said all the same reasons before the season started that we'll be ok if we don't redshirt him:  we can recruit another QB, possibly this year in Eugene Smith, he can get experience this year to play in 2010 with our hardest schedule ever (perhaps), he can get experience to be backup next year, etc. 

However, that was all predicated on blowing out a few teams besides UT-Martin so he can get the freaking experience.  I wasn't exactly completely sold on it, anyway.  I was excited that he might get playing time because that would indicate he's really that good, and he was very impressive against UT-martin, but so was everyone else.

There should have been garbage time against UCF and FIU.  We will need to get some against some of the following teams:  NC State, Rutgers, Syracuse, and perhaps Pitt or Louisville.  We did blow out UNC, UCF, Louisville, and Syracuse last year.  What if it's within 14-21 points in the 4th, though?  It's a nice cushion (usually), but not enough to be considered garbage time.  It's possible we've lost our 2 best chances already and that he will not get any experience this year.

But whatever, just keep getting QB recruits and hope BJ Daniels can get time next year before possibly starting in 2010. I'm not that worried about it because it is in the future as you say, but it's still disappointing because I want to see him.

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

then he would be leaving after 2011 anyway to get paid some serious money in the NFL.

He's 5'11 on a good day.  Unless there becomes a spread offense in the NFL, or he shows a bit more than what we saw against UT-Martin. He's not leaving early

• Content Count:  4,879

bottom line, bj didn't want to redshirt.

Archived