• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

My thoughts on BJ Daniels

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

This is deep...

I would love to quit reading posts of people ******** about his redshirt being wasted. Who cares. It is 2008, we're 4-0, and we are trying to win the BE. I couldn't give 2 ***** about who will be our QB in 2012. We needed a 3rd string QB THIS year since Voss left, and BJ was the guy. We haven't seen anything out of him yet. If, as you all assume, he is the next Dan Marino/Tim Tebow hybrid, then he would be leaving after 2011 anyway to get paid some serious money in the NFL.

I do care about the future of this program, but we will continue recruiting, I have faith in CJL that he will bring someone in for the 2012 season. At this point, to me, whats the difference in breaking someone in in 2012 or 2013? Hell, I don't know what is going on with the program at that point, maybe we have the next Andre Hall, and we don't even pass the ball. Maybe we move to a pro-type offense and we don't need a spread option QB.

I think BJ is going to be great for us, but, having him there this year was really the only option. Look at other programs, it happens all the time. Hunter Cantwell is a pretty good QB, but only has one year to play. I think Sanchez at USC is an upperclassman also isn't he?

Big time programs always have someone coming in. We need to win now in order to secure our future, not the other way around.

OK, that will end my rant, sorry, must be a case of the "Mondays".

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  667
  • Days Won:  0

We needed a 3rd string QB THIS year since Voss left, and BJ was the guy.

this is where i think your logic is flawed.  i would have preferred to have BJ redshirted and if grothe goes down and gregory is the QB, THEN you take off the redshirt in the emergency situation.  when you redshirt, you can still practice with the team, etc.  assuming grothe stays healthy (knock on wood), BJ will not even SNIFF the playing field and the way we are not closing out games, he wont even get garbage playing time because we arent hammering teams.  my point is, redshirting never hurts anyone (ask matt grothe).  you only not redshirt someone if a) they are just that talented to play immediately, B) desperate for a QB because there isnt enough talent on the roster for a legit backup...  we are fortunate to have grothe has a starter and gregory (a senior) as a backup.. we need to take advantage of that and redshirt BJ.

• Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

this is where i think your logic is flawed.  i would have preferred to have BJ redshirted and if grothe goes down and gregory is the QB, THEN you take off the redshirt in the emergency situation.  when you redshirt, you can still practice with the team, etc.  assuming grothe stays healthy (knock on wood), BJ will not even SNIFF the playing field and the way we are not closing out games, he wont even get garbage playing time because we arent hammering teams.  my point is, redshirting never hurts anyone (ask matt grothe).  you only not redshirt someone if a) they are just that talented to play immediately, B) desperate for a QB because there isnt enough talent on the roster for a legit backup...  we are fortunate to have grothe has a starter and gregory (a senior) as a backup.. we need to take advantage of that and redshirt BJ.

This is where your logic is flawed.  As long as BJ doesn't take any conference snaps, and is less than 20% of the nonconference snaps, he can still apply for Redshirt status from the NCAA.  So to this point, he can still play garbage duty at NC State if need be, and can still be redshirted.  The question is if he will take any take snaps in conference, maybe after a drubbing of 'Cuse say?

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Grothe graduates next year.  then we will have two years of BJ Daniels as an upperclassman.

that gives us 3 years after this year to have the QB position locked up.

if we can't recruit another QB by then given the gains we've been making in recruiting since joining the BE, then maybe we need a new coaching staff.

i'm not particularly happy that BJ has only seen a few snaps in garbage time against UTM either, and i certainly hope that we can put away a few games early in order to get him more playing time...  but what's done is done.  he isn't redshirting this year, so the best we can hope for is PT for BJ against someone like Cuse or Buttgirls.

personally, id rather have BJ come in as 2nd string, specifically for that reason... but Grant is a coach's son, and we all know how that works.  nepotism > talent.

that said, i believe Grant graduates this year, and i think everybody will be more confident with BJ having some experience under his belt-- however minimal-- when he steps in as Matt's backup next year.  if god-forbid next year Grothe got injured during a big game or had to miss a game or two and we had a green Freshman who had never taken any snaps coming in to fill the void, we would be in trouble.

imagine that hideous fumble/scoop and score vs. UTM happening against Miami.  yikes.  LOL.

• Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

This is where your logic is flawed.  As long as BJ doesn't take any conference snaps, and is less than 20% of the nonconference snaps, he can still apply for Redshirt status from the NCAA.  So to this point, he can still play garbage duty at NC State if need be, and can still be redshirted.  The question is if he will take any take snaps in conference, maybe after a drubbing of 'Cuse say?

You obviously have no knowledge of how the redshirt rules apply in FBS college football. If a player plays 1 snap in anygame his redshirt status is done, unless on that said snap he has a prooveable injury that would end his season and warrent him regaining the year of eligibilty.

"You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition."

http://www.ncaa.org/eligibility/faqs/faqs_eligibility_seasons.html

• Content Count:  99

I know for afact  that BJ is not being redshirted  because the coaches don't have faith in Grant to take us as far as we can go. 

I was shocked when I heard this, because I thought Grant was a good back up. 

• Content Count:  505

Another wildcard is the discussion on whether or not to get rid of the redshirt in football.  I think there are discussions going on to give football players 5 years to play.  They can play all 5 years and if they get hurt or sit out all year it doesn't matter.  They will only get 5 years.  Anyone else hear anything about this discussion?

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I know for afact  that BJ is not being redshirted  because the coaches don't have faith in Grant to take us as far as we can go. 

I was shocked when I heard this, because I thought Grant was a good back up. 

Interesting.

I have to agree, but "fact" makes it interesting. I like Gregory's ability, I just haven't see a spark from him as a QB. Seems to not be able to dial the cannon back and make a finesse pass when needed. I don't know that a true freshman would take us to the promise land either, but I think it makes sense that if Grothe were to go down, there would be a battle for the position, not necessarily an automatic insert of Gregory.

As for Gregory graduating, he is going to seek a 6th year based on an injury early in his career. This is where being a coach's son hurts because as a back up QB, my guess is that he is probably ready to move on, but there is pressure from dad to seek the additional year.

Archived