• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rays attendance....

j@yh@wks

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  127
  • Days Won:  0

Here Here!

I hope everyone traveling to Tampa has a safe flight and if you have any questions about the area, feel free to ask.

How come your Pro baseball team can't sell out?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  771

If you are referencing the Rays, to be honest, I don't know.

I know we have a decent amount of Rays fans here, so i'm sure one of the many will chime in.

• Content Count:  2,461

THAT is something everyone is trying to figure out... While they sit on their couches and ponder whether they will tune in to watch the home game.

Honestly, though, I think it is partly location (they play in St. Petersburg). Though, at this point that shouldn't be an excuse.

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Here Here!

I hope everyone traveling to Tampa has a safe flight and if you have any questions about the area, feel free to ask.

Because the rays suck...

The games are fun though, nice atmosphere, very family friendly.

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Baseball?  Down here in Florida we have two seasons: Football and Off.

I really think that is the case, most people here that like baseball are from up north and they like there own teams up north.

Here Here!

Because the rays suck...

The games are fun though, nice atmosphere, very family friendly.

i wish the royals sucked like tampa bay this year

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,704
  • Days Won:  108

Here Here!

Plenty of reasons. 

First and foremost is the location.  If you look at a map of the Tampa Bay area, the stadium is in the southernmost section. For us, we are about 20 miles north of Tampa but have a 50 mile one-way journey to a game.  So you have 5 gallons of gas and parking before you think about tickets.  A lot of Tampa people have a "thing" about not crossing the bridge to Pinellas county.  Don't ask me why, I have no idea.

Secondly, the team has been lousy for so long fans aren't used to going to the games.  They have had a nice increase in attendance and TV ratings have almost doubled.  So they are creating interest which should continue to grow if they continue to play well.

Third, the Trop.  It is perceived as a dump.  I personally like the place for watching a game in Florida in the summer.  It is air conditioned and covered.  One out of 3 times that we've gone there have been hellacious thunderstorms going on outside and play continues.  And outdoor stadium would be brutal for the fans.  Selig should keep his nose out of their business.  When the time and location are right a stadiium will be built.

Fourth is economics.  When compared to the large market cities, this is not a wealthy area. 

Welcome to our Board.

• Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

Here Here!

Partly the location (St Pete, not Tampa)

Partly economy (tight family budgets right now)

Partly history (sucked for 10 years and still trying to build a solid fan base)

Partly baseball (not football)

Here Here!

Plenty of reasons. 

First and foremost is the location.  If you look at a map of the Tampa Bay area, the stadium is in the southernmost section. For us, we are about 20 miles north of Tampa but have a 50 mile one-way journey to a game.  So you have 5 gallons of gas and parking before you think about tickets.  A lot of Tampa people have a "thing" about not crossing the bridge to Pinellas county.  Don't ask me why, I have no idea.

Secondly, the team has been lousy for so long fans aren't used to going to the games.  They have had a nice increase in attendance and TV ratings have almost doubled.  So they are creating interest which should continue to grow if they continue to play well.

Third, the Trop.  It is perceived as a dump.  I personally like the place for watching a game in Florida in the summer.  It is air conditioned and covered.  One out of 3 times that we've gone there have been hellacious thunderstorms going on outside and play continues.  And outdoor stadium would be brutal for the fans.  Selig should keep his nose out of their business.  When the time and location are right a stadiium will be built.

Fourth is economics.  When compared to the large market cities, this is not a wealthy area. 

Welcome to our Board.

I always enjoy watching when the royals are down in Tampa and there is that guy behind the plate that just yells at a certain player the whole game.  You can hear his @ss all the way here in nebraska

Archived