• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF bans daytime drinking at beefs monday-friday

fishinBULL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

Honestly, until this year, there was only one thing in which I envied about UCF...beer on campus, during the day, all day, everyday.

Before I could drink only at basketball and baseball games or from my fridge...

Now USF has gone and taken it away from me...again.

What makes it really stupid is it is real easy for students and staff to go drinking off campus...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  7,632
  • Days Won:  6

Seems a bit extreme to me if the purpose is to "police" adult students and workers.  I would suggest a compromise of 4pm Monday to Thursday and 1pm on Friday.

I think in the old days, the Empty Keg served beer beginning at noon Monday through Saturday (it was closed on Sunday I believe).  Then again, the drinking age was 18.  Good times.

I just hope we don't end up driving away the beefs by putting it out of business...

You know, with the bad economy and all...I don't know why anyone would discourage the spending of money...even if it is on alcohol.

• Content Count:  1,254

I think it's pretty ridiculous...Did they think no one was going to have a beer? I mean if they allow you to drink when you're 21 then you should be allowed to whenever. They don't need to babysit these people.

I think it's pretty ridiculous...Did they think no one was going to have a beer? I mean if they allow you to drink when you're 21 then you should be allowed to whenever. They don't need to babysit these people.

EXACTLY!

This is college...not grade school...We don't need to be "policed" or "babysitted"

It's not like beefs is serving underage students in between classes...

• Content Count:  12,293

i agree that it was poor planning that they didnt see this coming from the start.  if they felt like students drinking inbetween classes then the policy should of been in place from the beginning but its nothing to get that upset about.

i do find it funny that they said they had a problem with faculty and staff not returning cause they were drinking beer.  well you dont ban the beer for that reason....you FIRE THE EMPLOYEE geez. 

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

why are you "ashamed"  do you really need a beer that bad that you can't go .2 miles to the greenery (is that still open)  or even the beefs on fowler.

its not that big of a deal to me and i love beer as much as the next man.

I ashamed that USF doesn't think enough of the character of the individuals it accepts and hires to allow people to use their own personal judgement and responsibility.  I don't even know why it matters if students drink between classes - they can go to any number of off-campus places (including their apartment) to get a cold one.  If a student is coming to class belligerent or drunk then you deal with that on a case by case basis.  I would bet a lot of money the instances would be incredibly rare.

Just another example of ignoring personal responsibility in favor of societal control.

• Content Count:  12,293

Just another example of ignoring personal responsibility in favor of societal control.

you mean like the schools that do not allow beer to be served at sporting events???

::)

why are you "ashamed"  do you really need a beer that bad that you can't go .2 miles to the greenery (is that still open)  or even the beefs on fowler.

I ashamed that USF doesn't think enough of the character of the individuals it accepts and hires to allow people to use their own personal judgement and responsibility.  I don't even know why it matters if students drink between classes - they can go to any number of off-campus places (including their apartment) to get a cold one.  If a student is coming to class belligerent or drunk then you deal with that on a case by case basis.  I would bet a lot of money the instances would be incredibly rare.

USF has every right to do this. They (or Aramark) are the sellers, and can decide when to sell. If you really must have that beer so bad, you can go off campus, or bring your own beer, order some wings, and be the envy of all the other people who want to get a buzz going between class. If anything it shows they are trying to avoid having drunks walk around while visitors are still around.

I'm a drinker, don't get me wrong, but there is a difference between USF not selling alcohol before a certain hour, and USF not allowing alcohol on campus before a certain hour. One is a business option, one is "baby-sitting."

In the end, it's a school with the mission to educate their students. They just don't want to outright give opportunities to students to throw that education away. I'm not aware of any businesses that allow their employees to drink on the job (or on break, for that matter), and I don't think they are exhibiting "societal control."

• Content Count:  3,574

And yes the greenery is closed...

Really?  :o

When did this happen?

Archived