• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF basketball fans. Does USF "get it" or am I wasting my time...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  468
  • Days Won:  0

...hoping they 'someday' make it to the NCAA tournament again? It's hard to get the real scoop living so far away from Tampa.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,492
  • Days Won:  13

i think csh will get us there soon

• Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

USF showed it was serious about success in men's basketball the day it hired Stan Heath. It would have been easy to hire some caretaker, run the program on the cheap, and just write Big East basketball off as an unwinnable venture. But USF isn't doing that. We have disadvantages in facilities and history, yes, but I think we're fighting the good fight.

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

The facilities is a big deal. Are there any tentative plans for building anything in this regard?

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

If you are hoping for a one year turn around then forget it, but if you are looking to buold a program over the next 4 or 5 years you are definitely not wasting your time.  It will be a step by step by step process, but I think the foundation is set.  You have a good coach that is motivated to get to post season play (and in his words, "not just the BE Tournament").  He understands what it takes to compete in a tough conference.

Next year, for the first time in about 5 or 6 years, you have several proven, experienced players coming back.  The last several years years it has been 1 proven player surrounded by a bunch of question marks of who would even be filling out the starting lineup. 

I think we are still a few players away and a couple of years from an NCAA bid, but that foundation is still set now.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,492
  • Days Won:  13

The facilities is a big deal. Are there any tentative plans for building anything in this regard?

what is wrong with the Sun Dome? What would you like? I think the Sun Dome is a very good basketball facility. When that place is full the atmosphere is amazing.

The only big change we need is better consessions.

The issue isn't the Sun Dome, but practice facilities... right now the men's and women's team share the Sun Dome and can use the Corral when the Volleyball team is not in there.

But if the Sun Dome is occupied, the teams have to practice on the Rec Center courts ... and if a player wants to practice on his own time, he has to shoot around with other students.

Most of the "powers" have a dedicated basketball practice facility.  That is what people mean.

Now, they are raising funds for the facility (which will include an athlete's dining hall).  It will be built on the North side of the Sun Dome, between the Dome and the parking lot.

• Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

...hoping they 'someday' make it to the NCAA tournament again? It's hard to get the real scoop living so far away from Tampa.

No, we hope that they never make it again. ::)

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

If you are hoping for a one year turn around then forget it, but if you are looking to buold a program over the next 4 or 5 years you are definitely not wasting your time.  It will be a step by step by step process, but I think the foundation is set.  You have a good coach that is motivated to get to post season play (and in his words, "not just the BE Tournament").  He understands what it takes to compete in a tough conference.

your opinion

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

what is wrong with the Sun Dome? What would you like? I think the Sun Dome is a very good basketball facility. When that place is full the atmosphere is amazing.

The only big change we need is better consessions.

I guess I should have added practice facilities. Personally, I love the sundome! I agree with you about the atmosphere. But a practice court, dining hall are important to get.

Archived