• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Any pandora.com fans?

GarySJ

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

If you're not familiar with Pandora, it's a webradio that learns from your choices to create a custom radio station that is attuned to your musical preferences.

..but not in the obvious ways. It grew from something called the Music Genome Project, which assigned descriptions to various songs and musical acts. It uses those descriptions to suggest new songs for you. For example, the tune I'm listening to now is described as "basic rock song structures, mixed acoustic and electric instrumentation, a vocal-centric aesthetic, major key tonality, and a good dose of acoustic guitar pickin'."

What's great is that it will start with songs you know, and then offer songs you've never heard of, which you'll grow to like. You have to give the thumbs up/thumbs down to songs, and it takes awhile to learn your preferences, but the results are worth it.

it's free if you're willing to tolerate on-screen advertisements. But they're pretty benign, and the window runs in the background most of the time anyway. Only downside is that it's a bit of a resource hog (though I do have an old computer).

• Content Count:  2,307

I usually turn to Pandora while I'm at work...I just leave it running.  I love I can pick an artist and then it plays other artists and songs that are related to the one that you originally picked.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Currently got some blues cranked up via pandora, life is good  ;D

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Also Slacker.com is great for people who want free online radio without creating their own stations. 

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

It's a great website. I also use it while I'm working.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,009
  • Days Won:  469

I had never heard of Pandora...thanks Gary...been listening to it now since last night.  Pretty cool stuff.

• Content Count:  2,661

I had never heard of Pandora...thanks Gary...been listening to it now since last night.  Pretty cool stuff.

I'm glad to have made a convert. Some free advice: to get good results, your stations have to be pretty specific. If you try to make one station out of your love of Frank Sinatra, Guns 'n' Roses, and the Wu-Tang Clan, the song suggestions will be all over the map and won't be useful. Make one station for each of your musical tastes, and then use the QuickMix item to play selections from each station.

• 2 months later...

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Pandora is the tee-yots!

Been listening to it all week... thanks for the tip Gary

I have Grunge, Late 80's/Early 90's hip hop, Rap Metal, R+B, and Singer/Songwriter channels all set up.

They're pretty good about picking songs you'll like after a few days of rating music.

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

awesome, I just started and did a rage against the machine one. pretty sweet

Archived