• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Biggest surprise of this year's class

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  69
  • Days Won:  0

Who from this year's class do you think is going to turn heads on the football field that may be getting a bit overlooked?  I'm putting my vote on Quavon Taylor.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Who from this year's class do you think is going to turn heads on the football field that may be getting a bit overlooked?  I'm putting my vote on Quavon Taylor.

Agree on Taylor.  Bedford's not really overlooked, but I think he's going to make a huge impact next year. 

• Content Count:  69

My guess last year would have been Quenton Washington, but Dontavia Bogan was the biggest surprise to me.

• Content Count:  2,523

Yeah, can't overlook 4 stars in my opinion.  When I think of this quesiton, I think of the kids who are ranked as two stars who get no respect but could actually make it playing regular.  My first guess is Popek and the second would be whoever wins the kicking job.

• Content Count:  4,016

My guess last year would have been Quenton Washington, but Dontavia Bogan was the biggest surprise to me.

This question is always one that needs some qualifications...are we talking the biggest surprise next year, or eventually become the gem of the class or one of the better players of the class but was a bit overlooked on signing day?

Lakeland's answer for the 2007 class was worded to mean the biggest surprise for the following year.  It didn't shock me Bogan's saw the field before Washington, we had 3 senior corners and two are top NFL draft picks.  I still think Lakeland's opinion could be spot on, just give Washington a season or two.  Right now, I'll say the better player at USF in four years will be Washington over Bogans.

If we're talking surprise as a contributor for the 2008 season then that's easy...my biggest surprise will be Craig Marshall, then Anthony Jones...both had big time play ability before in HS and both developed nicely at JC.  Marshall is coming in weighing in the 260lbs+ range, that type of DE/DL flex player is needed immediately on this team.

For the long haul- Jeff Hawkins, Garvin, Green, Popek, and Sanchez....all are very, very good at what position they play, none require any switch in position, although Green will probably move inside.  All have excellent size, athleticism, and range for their respective positions, all seem very coachable and just need to work, get stronger and experienced, and learn the nuances of their position better.

• Content Count:  4,642

it'll probably be one of the linemen contributing as much as genus has.  genus was a steal IMO

• Content Count:  563

This question is always one that needs some qualifications...are we talking the biggest surprise next year, or eventually become the gem of the class or one of the better players of the class but was a bit overlooked on signing day?

Lakeland's answer for the 2007 class was worded to mean the biggest surprise for the following year.  It didn't shock me Bogan's saw the field before Washington, we had 3 senior corners and two are top NFL draft picks.  I still think Lakeland's opinion could be spot on, just give Washington a season or two.  Right now, I'll say the better player at USF in four years will be Washington over Bogans.

If we're talking surprise as a contributor for the 2008 season then that's easy...my biggest surprise will be Craig Marshall, then Anthony Jones...both had big time play ability before in HS and both developed nicely at JC.  Marshall is coming in weighing in the 260lbs+ range, that type of DE/DL flex player is needed immediately on this team.

For the long haul- Jeff Hawkins, Garvin, Green, Popek, and Sanchez....all are very, very good at what position they play, none require any switch in position, although Green will probably move inside.  All have excellent size, athleticism, and range for their respective positions, all seem very coachable and just need to work, get stronger and experienced, and learn the nuances of their position better.

SB, who are your top five from last years class ?

Im really high on Lanaris and Popek . In 1 or 2  years they will be studs !

• Content Count:  856
  • Days Won:  2

yeah i think lenaris is gonna be a stud as well.  id say garvin over popek though, just because of his athleticism at the OL position.  great feet = great pass blocking.

• Content Count:  4,016

SB, who are your top five from last years class ?

Im really high on Lanaris and Popek . In 1 or 2  years they will be studs !

Washington was my #1 guy, McClain, Cha-Cha, Voss, and Powe...it would have been Sutton if he made it (a four star LB, and I've seen enough to know.  I've stood next to the kid plenty of times, watched the family personal highlight vids, real sad he didn't make it).  My #1 unsung guy is Powe, (McClain, Cha-Cha, and Voss were all highly sought after) a lot, lot, lot like Aaron Harris...need I remind that Harris as a soph had a breakout season with 5.5 sacks and 10.5 TFL from the three technique, supremely impressive for a soph that was under-sized.  Give Powe another year to get up to around 285lbs or so and you'll see.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Powe at 285?  Didn't he come in at about 230?

If we gave CJL a dining hall Powe could be at 299 already.  ;D

Archived