• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mind numbing UCF/USF drivel, et al

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

BIG EAST MAY SPARK AREA BOWL

By LENN ROBBINS

August 5, 2009

NEWPORT, R.I. -- A new day could be dawning in the Big East, one that could see a league team as anchor for a postseason bowl game to be played at Yankee Stadium or Giants Stadium, as well as talk about expansion, several sources told The Post yesterday at the league's media day.

The sources said that Mark Holtzman, marketing director of Yankee Stadium, discussed the possibilities of a bowl game at a meeting with the Big East athletic directors.

Mark Lamping, CEO of the New Meadowlands Stadium Company, expressed his facility's interest.

If the bowl game comes to fruition, it likely would match a Big East school against an at-large team, preferably from the Big Ten, which has millions of alumni in the metropolitan area.

Yankee Stadium already has announced plans to host regular-season college football games involving Army, Boston College, Notre Dame and Rutgers.

With threats on the horizon -- most glaringly, that the Big Ten, with its 11 members, will one day add a 12th -- the Big East is focusing on how it can get stronger.

Two sources said the eight-team Big East would consider adding a ninth member by exploring whether there was interest on behalf of Maryland to jump from the ACC, and for Boston College to rejoin the league.

Both seem a little far-fetched on the surface, but Maryland always has played Big East schools, and the balance of power in the ACC is in the south. And Boston College is learning that life in the ACC, where it has no natural rivals, isn't all it's cracked up to be.

The days of considering a Memphis or a Central Florida or an association with Army and Navy are over. The Big East, which went 4-2 in bowl games last season and has won three of its last four BCS games, is thinking of itself as operating from a position of strength.

"I think we've proven ourselves over the last three or four years," said new commissioner John Marinatto. "I think we are in a much better position."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08052009/sports/moresports/big_east_may_spark_area_bowl_183066.htm

lenn.robbins@nypost.com

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

the big east as bcs conference is the worst so i have no idea what strength you mean

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  639

BC and Maryland are not dumb...traditionally ACC is better...they would never jump back to the Big East....article is just a bunch of self promotion by the Big East....worry about the Mountain West taking your auto bid

• Content Count:  639

I think we have a chance to make the Miami game interesting....the way their schedule shapes up it's the ultimate trap game and they probably won't expect the atmosphere that they will play in.....Texas could get ugly for us

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

I think we have a chance to make the Miami game interesting....the way their schedule shapes up it's the ultimate trap game and they probably won't expect the atmosphere that they will play in.....Texas could get ugly for us

You overstate the intimidation factor of your bleachers.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

You overstate the intimidation factor of your bleachers.

Yeah no **** especially since they play VT on the road a few weeks before UCF.  Brighthouse will not phase them. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Chad

Jermaine Taylor's dad wasn't the greatest basketball player ever...

Oklahoma never made an offer, just started talking to him. The kid has talent, but he's an undersized shooting guard who isn't a great scorer.

Big victory for UCF and would have been great for USF. but let's not make a Buick a Mercedes...he'll probably average 10 a game over his career and move on.

Joe, if he is so undersized then why did Stanford and Butler throw a full ride his way?  Also, nice dodge about the Jermaine Taylor question. I saw MJ jr pay with the big boys in the MJ classsic and dunk the hell out of the ball  in Madison square garden.

Jermaine Taylor wasn't a great player until his senior year. He would've been average in the big east, especially with teams double teaming him.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:ROFLMAO drafted in the NBA, but would have been average. LOL.

After about the top 20 a large portion of the picks don't stick in the league. 

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  476

Chad

Jermaine Taylor's dad wasn't the greatest basketball player ever...

Oklahoma never made an offer, just started talking to him. The kid has talent, but he's an undersized shooting guard who isn't a great scorer.

Big victory for UCF and would have been great for USF. but let's not make a Buick a Mercedes...he'll probably average 10 a game over his career and move on.

Joe, if he is so undersized then why did Stanford and Butler throw a full ride his way?  Also, nice dodge about the Jermaine Taylor question. I saw MJ jr pay with the big boys in the MJ classsic and dunk the hell out of the ball  in Madison square garden.

Jermaine Taylor wasn't a great player until his senior year. He would've been average in the big east, especially with teams double teaming him.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:ROFLMAO drafted in the NBA, but would have been average. LOL.

After about the top 20 a large portion of the picks don't stick in the league. 

Another laugher, Dumars v. Jordan.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Chad,

You prove to be so ignorant about hoops it isn't funny.

First, there are guys every year that get drafted in the NBA, out of the BE, that were just above average Big East players.  I'll help you with names and we'll just use the 2006 draft for argument sake since many of those guys have had a chance to cycle through the NBA somewhat- Marcus Williams (Uconn), Hilton Armstrong (Uconn), Steve Novak (Quette), Solomon Jones (USF), James White (Cinci), Denham Brown (Uconn).

Take James White, drafted about the same spot as Jermaine, a HS all-american, a great 6-6 200lb wing/guard that could shoot.  He's now in Europe.  Denham Brown a 6-6 200lbs guard for Uconn has spent three years in NBA Developmental League, Marcus Williams (a 1st round guard, a HS all-american) was playing in Europe last year.  I don't know if Jermaine would have been average, but he wouldn't have been much more then above average in the league, and definitely no better than Dominique Jones for us who struggled to make 2nd team.

I mean the fact that the Rockets landed Trevor Ariza is a heavy blow to Jermaine's playing potential for them.  Jermaine is not a PG, and at the guard/forward wing position Houston now has McGrady, Ariza, Battier.  I don't even think it's a given Jermaine makes the opening day roster in Houston and that's not a slight it's just tough in the NBA.  Especially for a guy that is a tweener, not quite fast enough in the NBA for PG, and not big enough for wing.

The only reason why Solomon Jones sticks around, who was drafted in 2006 around the same spot as Jermaine is because he's 6-11, with a 38 inch vert, and his wing span is that of a 7-2 guy....despite that he's still only a bench warmer.  Ditto for Novak who is a rare 6-10 F who is a skilled three point shooter, but to slow for defense.

Oh, and why are you still on the Jordan v. Dumars thing?  Mike's kids go to 3 different schools, why do you think he'll pour all his allegance and money into UCF over the others and his alma mater?  As usual another UCF fan with his head in the clouds.

• Content Count:  677

I don't expect the BE to add anyone barring a big 10 raid.  I for one don't think that is going to happen either.  As for Maryland or BC that is just crazy talk.. neither are going to leave the ACC and  more $$$ for the BE.  ACC>BE.  Just like the BE is > any non bcs conf.