• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ricky Barnum Commits to UF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  277
  • Days Won:  0

Under Armour All-American offensive guard Ricky Barnum has picked Florida, according to ESPN affiliate GatorCountry.com.  He said, "I was on the phone with all the coaches. Urban Meyer was thrilled. You could hear him screaming in his office he was so happy." Barnum's decision follows the acquisitions of two ESPN 150 prospects, athlete Jeff Demps (Groveland, Fla./South Lake) on Wednesday and offensive tackle Matthew Patchan (Tampa, Fla./Armwood) last Saturday.

****.  He was a good one.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Under Armour All-American offensive guard Ricky Barnum has picked Florida, according to ESPN affiliate GatorCountry.com.  He said, "I was on the phone with all the coaches. Urban Meyer was thrilled. You could hear him screaming in his office he was so happy." Barnum's decision follows the acquisitions of two ESPN 150 prospects, athlete Jeff Demps (Groveland, Fla./South Lake) on Wednesday and offensive tackle Matthew Patchan (Tampa, Fla./Armwood) last Saturday.

****.  He was a good one.

booooooo

it aint over until he signs on 2/6/08

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

We might be seeing him in two years, ala Trent Pupello!  He is a bit undersized at 6-2 for a major program lineman.  I'm not saying he is not good, but a program like UF will throw him to the weeds if the following year, they get a 6-5 guy who is comparable.  For his size, the best place for him is USF since he could be all world instead of an easily replaced undersized lineman.

• Content Count:  856
  • Days Won:  2

We might be seeing him in two years, ala Trent Pupello!  He is a bit undersized at 6-2 for a major program lineman.  I'm not saying he is not good, but a program like UF will throw him to the weeds if the following year, they get a 6-5 guy who is comparable.  For his size, the best place for him is USF since he could be all world instead of an easily replaced undersized lineman.

this kid really isnt that big of a loss...ive seen him play so many times, i wasnt terribly impressed.  he was getting blown up play after play in that under armour game.

• Content Count:  4,016

agreed, and Barnum is really an interior lineman....we're more in the need for tackles now.  Personally I liked Barnum's long-term potential, but I've always felt that Garvin was the better overall long-term prospect particularly at OT.

• Content Count:  19,266
  • Days Won:  255

I too have seen my fair share of LG games and prefer Garvin. I also do not like the interviews Barnum gives as he tends to lie about pretty much everything and comes across as uncoachably cocky.

agreed, and Barnum is really an interior lineman....we're more in the need for tackles now.  Personally I liked Barnum's long-term potential, but I've always felt that Garvin was the better overall long-term prospect particularly at OT.

• Content Count:  4,016

I too have seen my fair share of LG games and prefer Garvin. I also do not like the interviews Barnum gives as he tends to lie about pretty much everything and comes across as uncoachably cocky.

I haven't heard an interview per se, but he has grossly exaggerated his weight, height, stats, and other things to certain people.  That is verifiable.  At the end of the day he's maybe 6-2 and around 250lbs, a nice long-term prospect but with Genus (who blew away people at camp as a 6-2 305 freshman benching 400lbs when he arrived), Hermann, and McCaskill already on the team we've got 3 maybe 4 Barnums already on the team.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I haven't heard an interview per se, but he has grossly exaggerated his weight, height, stats, and other things to certain people.  That is verifiable.  At the end of the day he's maybe 6-2 and around 250lbs, a nice long-term prospect but with Genus (who blew away people at camp as a 6-2 305 freshman benching 400lbs when he arrived), Hermann, and McCaskill already on the team we've got 3 maybe 4 Barnums already on the team.

Yeah it sucks to lose a kid like Barnum but he was more of a luxury since he's more of a guard than a tackle. 

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

EAsy fellas.....if he would have committed to USF we would be estatic about a  FOUR STAR OFFENSIVE LINEMAN coming to the Bulls.

Think about it, bien hit right.....Barnum is a longterm prospect that will be a damnn good center for UF after a couple years in the weight room and a proper nuitrion program. He may think he can walk in and play right away, but so do 85% of kids who sign on National Letter of Intent Day.

IMO, this is a miss for USF b/c it could have cememted the pipeline to LakeGibson for 'high end' players and given us a boost in the rankings. BTW....I realize that the rankings don't mean much but it does create some nice buzz for your program, which is NEVER a bad thing.

oh well.....looks like we got a VERY NICE verbal from another local OL prospect :)

Archived