• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt quote - don't judge us on 30 minutes of play

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  749
  • Days Won:  1

Coming out of the tunnel for the 2nd half, CJL was stoic and unemotional.  After a not so good half "We are right where we want to be" is not CJL.  I turned to my bud and said we're dead.  We came to party not play a football game.  He is still my coach, but can't be embarrassed again.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,297
  • Days Won:  0

Quote from the El Paso Times from Jim Leavitt

"I'm  proud of my football team," Leavitt said. "When you lose like that, you've got to be careful (not) to define your team by 30 minutes of football, and that's something that I think is very, very important".

Gee, maybe's that's our problem, somebody forgot to tell coach that football games are 60 minutes long. And yes, you do have to play all 60 minutes and that is how your team is judged.

That game yesterday showed a total lack of character and discipline from our team. And the ultimate blame goes back to the coaches not having this team prepared to play.

Leavitt needs to apologize to all those USF fans who spent their hard earned dollars to go to El Paso and who were expecting their team to play for 60 minutes.

Leavitt's proud of the team  ???  My guess is he's the only person that is  :'(

Exactly why he's the coach and you are not!!

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

The bowl and festivities were amazing. The reason I went sucked (football game). The only place we did not get outplayed was Delbert's punting. Better luck next year. I already started saving the cash!

I too am proud of this team, but highly dissappointed in whatever that was on the field (I refuse to Bullieve that that was my Bulls).

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

on my way to pomona courthouse colin cowherd couldnt stop talking about game and oregon

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

"I'm  proud of my football team," Leavitt said. "When you lose like that, you've got to be careful (not) to define your team by 30 minutes of football, and that's something that I think is very, very important".

Gee, maybe's that's our problem, somebody forgot to tell coach that football games are 60 minutes long. And yes, you do have to play all 60 minutes and that is how your team is judged.

That game yesterday showed a total lack of character and discipline from our team. And the ultimate blame goes back to the coaches not having this team prepared to play.

Leavitt needs to apologize to all those USF fans who spent their hard earned dollars to go to El Paso and who were expecting their team to play for 60 minutes.

he wont be for long if usf has many more stinkers like that

• Content Count:  5,241

ITs pretty funny you take Leavitt's word to the press so seriously! he feeds the press the same stuff all the time!

If you want dramatics, maybe youd be more interested in reality tv.

• Content Count:  2,511

he wont be for long if usf has many more stinkers like that

I disagree.  As long as USF has a winning season and goes to a bowl game. Leavitt is safe.

Everyone still gets misty eyed when they mention how Leavitt built the program from nothing and started in used trailers and etc. etc. etc.

Until these sentimental, weepy drama queens are out of the decision making, USF will be content with a middle of the road program.

The coaches flopped.  The fellas were not prepared.

We also need "better" players.  Oregon was the first/second (if you count AU) team we played that matched up with us speed wise.  There advantage was they were still bigger than us.  My friend made a good point.  He said Miami was never a "Big" team when they were winning all of their titles, but NOBODY could match their speed.  My point is

speed like ours + size like Oregon = Bad matchup.

Coaches still put up a MAJOR stinker.  I place that L on all the coaches: CJL, Wally, Gregory, and ALL of the other assistants.

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

I waited quite a while to post after witnessing that second half meltdown in person, so here is my take.  We were outplayed on both sides of the line, plain and simple and not just in the 2nd half - luckily Oregon had many first half penalties that kept our drives going.  Oregon's linemen were much, much bigger and I don't know if it was evident on TV.  They ended up being quicker than our guys because they were prepared to play and our guys seemed to be in vacation mode (Auburn play is my benchmark).  I went to the Auburn game and didn't see a great size disparity in that game but noticed it right away in this one.  The lack of good defensive play was very perplexing, since other than Rutgers and UCONN first half, I thought our defense was stellar all year.  Why no one keyed on Stewart and let him run rampant is beyond me. 

Overall, it was a good season and I was happy to attend the bowl and see many, many USF faithful made the trip, much more than Oregon.  The twelvth man was there for the team.  I saw in Grothe, much of what I had mentioned in posts before and been taken to task over on this same board (feel free to put me on the ignore list).  Poor throwing mechanics (throwing of the back foot), not looking off receivers (telegraphing his passes), and not rolling out to take advantage of his strength (game plan not his fault).  He still had respectable numbers minus the interceptions, but those were killers and probably as much attributable to constant pressure due to poor line play than anything else.  He is much, much better than any alternative that we have or probably will have in the near future and overall I think that he is a good QB.  To get great, however, I think that he must have offseason help to prevent these game killing idiosynchrosies from creeping back into his game, JMHO.  Overall, to beat great teams and compete with other BCS conferences, we need more size and weight at the lines - without it we will be doomed to future meltdowns against BCS opponents.

I wish like **** they would have won, but they needed an Auburn effort to do it and that wasn't there from the team. Oh, and Oregon played one heck of a game and proved why they were once at number 2.  Oh well, next year.  GO BULLS!!

Unfortunately, it was the last 30 minutes we will have for about 9 months.

Archived