• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Two words for USF - Freshman & Sophomore

Once Selvie became widely known, teams started gameplanning against him. He was double-teamed for most of the second half of the season -- and in the bowl game, too.  I watched a few plays where that was the case.

Selvie has also been quoted as having Jan 17th circled on his calendar... the start of winter conditioning. I bet he's hitting the weightroom HARD this spring and will be a monster next fall.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  349
  • Days Won:  0

Once Selvie became widely known, teams started gameplanning against him. He was double-teamed for most of the second half of the season -- and in the bowl game, too.  I watched a few plays where that was the case.

Selvie has also been quoted as having Jan 17th circled on his calendar... the start of winter conditioning. I bet he's hitting the weightroom HARD this spring and will be a monster next fall.

He definately looks like he could put on some more muscle on his frame... here's hoping he'll become an even bigger beast that can just man handle anything thrown at him next year

• Content Count:  2,523

He definately looks like he could put on some more muscle on his frame... here's hoping he'll become an even bigger beast that can just man handle anything thrown at him next year

Exactly, right now he's one dimensional as he's all speed and once you know that, you can direct him where you want to go.  If he can get that strength up and add a true and effective bullrush where he can occasionally push even the best OTs back, then we'll really see this defense light up bc then you know he's going to BLOW UP RBs who try to pick him up on the stunts.  Watch some of the best DEs of the past and if they ever stunted, RBs were often totally useless and were often drilled back into the QB if not on their asses. 

I'd also like to see a little more blitzing from our LBs.  Seems when we blitz, it's mostly bringing a smaller DB vs. someone who can really bring the pain and intimidate the heck out of a passer.  Luckily, I see a lot of potential in the guys we have, we just need the coaches to do a little better job putting them in better positions to succeed.

• Content Count:  1,457

Yes,

We need to spy and blitz much more often.

• Content Count:  695

Yeah, USF was a younger team this year and with a lot of guys able to pick up valuable experience I think it will improve us in the long run. 2009 is still the year where I think we will take a major step forward, before this year I expected an 8-4 regular season, a bit of a step back in 2008 with guys like Jenkins and Moffitt leaving and then winning our first Big East title and being in national title conversations in 2009. This is assuming Ford and Selvie stay in 2009, and I am hoping that they do.

• Content Count:  1,037

The bad performance by our defensive line might mean that McCarney is not as likely to be taken by another team. I think he is a good coach despite that  performance. If you've ever been to one of the practices you know that he is probably the most vocal coach and d-line always beats the O-line in practice. We should see our d-line improve next season.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,693
  • Days Won:  108

i dont see any superstars out of frosh and sophs

usf is supposed to bring in a #1 big east class so help is on the way per josh newberg

Do you consider sophomore concensus All Americans to be "superstars"?

I don't.  He built his numbers against Elon and UNC.  Those that vote look at the stats.  If they watched the games and knew the players, Mike Jenkins would be an All American.  He didn't put up numbers because they didn't throw his way.  Thus those that don't know him didn't vote for him because he didn't have big numbers.

Selvie can be a superstar, but he isn't there yet.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

usf is supposed to bring in a #1 big east class so help is on the way per josh newberg

I don't.  He built his numbers against Elon and UNC.  Those that vote look at the stats.  If they watched the games and knew the players, Mike Jenkins would be an All American.  He didn't put up numbers because they didn't throw his way.  Thus those that don't know him didn't vote for him because he didn't have big numbers.

When offenses have to change gameplans to account for a defensive end (chipping with a back, doubling with a TE, getting a WR to seal block, etc.) that is also a consensus All-American, that player is a superstar.  Hate to break it to you.

When offenses have to change gameplans to account for a defensive end (chipping with a back, doubling with a TE, getting a WR to seal block, etc.) that is also a consensus All-American, that player is a superstar.  Hate to break it to you.

Watching the game in person it is tough to see everything going on, but I didn't see him double teamed much.  Just read an article from Tuesday where he got credited with 1/2 a tackle.  Even if he was double teamed, which I don't think happened, he needs more than that in a big game.  Just my opinion. Again, I think he can be a superstar but don't think he is there yet.  And I'm glad he is on our team. 

I think some of these kids read about themselves and start believing they are great.

also--- according to the Bulls Bowl game media guide--- Mike Jenkins is an all american--- maybe not concensus but still an all american player

I can't remember which one made him a first team.

Archived