• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Two words for USF - Freshman & Sophomore

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

also--- according to the Bulls Bowl game media guide--- Mike Jenkins is an all american--- maybe not concensus but still an all american player

I can't remember which one made him a first team.

The coaches.

http://www.afca.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9300&ATCLID=1329519

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Amen Mike

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,695
  • Days Won:  108

i dont see any superstars out of frosh and sophs

usf is supposed to bring in a #1 big east class so help is on the way per josh newberg

Do you consider sophomore concensus All Americans to be "superstars"?

I don't.  He built his numbers against Elon and UNC.  Those that vote look at the stats.  If they watched the games and knew the players, Mike Jenkins would be an All American.  He didn't put up numbers because they didn't throw his way.  Thus those that don't know him didn't vote for him because he didn't have big numbers.

Selvie can be a superstar, but he isn't there yet.

When offenses have to change gameplans to account for a defensive end (chipping with a back, doubling with a TE, getting a WR to seal block, etc.) that is also a consensus All-American, that player is a superstar.  Hate to break it to you.

Watching the game in person it is tough to see everything going on, but I didn't see him double teamed much.  Just read an article from Tuesday where he got credited with 1/2 a tackle.  Even if he was double teamed, which I don't think happened, he needs more than that in a big game.  Just my opinion. Again, I think he can be a superstar but don't think he is there yet.  And I'm glad he is on our team. 

I think some of these kids read about themselves and start believing they are great.

are you serious?

Selvie seems like  pretty reasonable young man who has his head on straight. He has so-so performance against an Oregon team that game planned against him among others on our defense and suddenly he is less of a player?

yeesh

OK, now I understand what people say about you.  I'm just saying I think his stats were huge against lesser teams but he didn't put up numbers against most of the better opponents.  I like the guy.  Stop already.

• Content Count:  22,695
  • Days Won:  108

i dont see any superstars out of frosh and sophs

usf is supposed to bring in a #1 big east class so help is on the way per josh newberg

Do you consider sophomore concensus All Americans to be "superstars"?

I don't.  He built his numbers against Elon and UNC.  Those that vote look at the stats.  If they watched the games and knew the players, Mike Jenkins would be an All American.  He didn't put up numbers because they didn't throw his way.  Thus those that don't know him didn't vote for him because he didn't have big numbers.

Selvie can be a superstar, but he isn't there yet.

When offenses have to change gameplans to account for a defensive end (chipping with a back, doubling with a TE, getting a WR to seal block, etc.) that is also a consensus All-American, that player is a superstar.  Hate to break it to you.

Watching the game in person it is tough to see everything going on, but I didn't see him double teamed much.  Just read an article from Tuesday where he got credited with 1/2 a tackle.  Even if he was double teamed, which I don't think happened, he needs more than that in a big game.  Just my opinion. Again, I think he can be a superstar but don't think he is there yet.  And I'm glad he is on our team. 

I think some of these kids read about themselves and start believing they are great.

are you serious?

Selvie seems like  pretty reasonable young man who has his head on straight. He has so-so performance against an Oregon team that game planned against him among others on our defense and suddenly he is less of a player?

yeesh

OK, now I understand what people say about you.  I'm just saying I think his stats were huge against lesser teams but he didn't put up numbers against most of the better opponents.  I like the guy.  Stop already.

the part you said about reading about themselves is what I was up in arms over. Selvie just doesn't strike me as the cocky type.

Believe what you want about me--- last time I checked I was allowed to disagree and have an opinion.

Okay, I have been on the board since just after the Auburn game and vowed I wasn't going to get into a pis**n contest with anyone.  So you win, I'm an as$hol# and my opinion isn't worth crap.  You are right.  I'm an idiot.

Now seriously, I don't know George (or any of the players) and couldn't tell you if he even reads about himself.  It is just a supposition on my part that some of these guys might be reading things and start believing them.  Funny how we got to #2 and then lost 3 in a row.  Then we drop in the polls and start winning again.  Picked as a favorite against Oregon and get whupped. 

You really don't think they might have been full of themselves at Rutgers?  Did you see the way they entered the field?  We were there and you were probably on the field with them, correct?  Confidence is one thing, arrogance is another.

Truce. Okay?  Nothing personal in any of this.  And I won't post to this topic again (unless you really say something to irk me  ;) )

• Content Count:  1,457
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah, USF was a younger team this year and with a lot of guys able to pick up valuable experience I think it will improve us in the long run. 2009 is still the year where I think we will take a major step forward, before this year I expected an 8-4 regular season, a bit of a step back in 2008 with guys like Jenkins and Moffitt leaving and then winning our first Big East title and being in national title conversations in 2009. This is assuming Ford and Selvie stay in 2009, and I am hoping that they do.

You are 1/2 way correct:  We will not skip a beat at Linebacker.  McKenzie will break all the records just watch.  USF is too deep and has plenty of prospects comming in.  However at Safety/Corner we will take a beating.  Our guys are good but this is a key position (not that all positions are not key).  Moreso, the backs need to be fast, smart, and adjile.  The remaining backs are somewhat fast and adjile but lack the depth in experience (it will take a year or two to get back up to speed).

The Bulls will do a 8-4 or 7-5 next year; with a trip to Birmingham - right were we belong.  This is a realistic view.  The coaches will continue to put way too much pressure on Grothe's back again next year and we will be just as strong at all positions - but for corners/safety.

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  37,646
  • Days Won:  29

Jenkins played CB in HS and played 4 years in college.

Selvie played Center in HS and has only played 2 years of DE in college.

Both are great players.

Jenkins played CB in HS and played 4 years in college.

Selvie played Center in HS and has only played 2 years of DE in college.

Both are great players.

Jenkins - Great yes.  Selvie - Very Good; not great yet.  He may be great but he will have to be top 5-10 each on the next 2 years at his position.  He may only do one more year; doubtful b/c I think he has great work ethic.  His play is very good though.  I was a bit disappointed in his inability to overcome the double team and get at least one record - maybe I'm being too hard on him?  to be Great he will have to make these marks. 

His honors this year could support his great status; however, in two years he is very good.  I know you say tomatoe and I say tomato

What do ya think?

• Content Count:  919

Selvie just needs to add some muscle to his frame as pointed out before.  He has an incredible speed rush, and once he adds some bulk, he will be better able to shed blocks and support the run. 

He has the motor and I believe the desire to improve.  I think he will contimue to work hard and be a monster before his career is over.  He is very good now, just a bit one-dimensional.

Selvie just needs to add some muscle to his frame as pointed out before.  He has an incredible speed rush, and once he adds some bulk, he will be better able to shed blocks and support the run. 

He has the motor and I believe the desire to improve.  I think he will contimue to work hard and be a monster before his career is over.  He is very good now, just a bit one-dimensional.

As a sophomore is expected to be.  Selvie has a goal to add 15-25 lbs of muscle/strength this off season.  Today is his first self imposed training day of the off season.  I give him a good chance of making this grade.  He is a work horse and does finish strong.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Hey,

Understand that 9-4 (two years running) is very good.  Our student players are accomplished as underclassmen.  The Bulls have only one way to go and that is up (or sideways).  The days of 4-7 should be gone for at least 2 more seasons.  Recurits are still lining up to play in Tampa Bay.  I'll gladly take 9-4 every year!

Also, Leavitt has to go with what he has.  I mean that the Coach can only call plays for moderately experienced players.  The team is very good but was exposed for its weaknesses.  All teams have them -believe it or not.

I am happy to have watched all games this year.  I am happy to have a team that is very good.  I am also happy, and this is for you nay sayers, that I did not spend $4000 to go to El Paso Texas this year.  With that said - get on board with a very good Basketball team.

PMR - Peace - Go Bulls (bleeding Green/Gold).

subpR RECRURITS ARE LYING UP TO USF

2 MorE 9-4 AND MID OF THE Road finsih in big eas ,leavcitt should be gone

usf should be crewm of the crop in bigest with everyone trying to cacth usf

Archived