• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

realize the magnitude of DAMAGE done to the program...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

We still made big strides in the state and nationally this year in terms of media attention, face time, and overall identity.

Sure-- the losses hurt and the last one was especially ugly. But overall--- we continue to move the program forward. It might not be as fast as some want it to move, but you cannot tell me we aren't in a better position than we were after last season.

my man mikeg makes some valid points here

feb 6 will tell alot when we see how we recruit against  big east foes

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  148
  • Days Won:  0

The way I see it there is two sides to this; the first is that you have to agree that even with the successes this season offered, it was bitter sweet with 3 consecutive losses (1 to an unranked team, while we were at number 2), and the Sun Bowl Blowout.  It did do damage, we didn't even reach the likes of Boise State during their banner year and everyone can say what they want, but they found a way to beat the Sooners, we couldn't figure out how to close a gap.  The game was disgusting and fortunately it wasn't on ESPN, so people won't immediately get the highlights. 

The flip side of this is that while we did get slapped, there were a lot of upsets during this bowl week, nothing was 100%predictable, UM over UF for example.  Oregon used odd formations, some delayed handoffs and misdirections constantly and the reality is had they committed to a more conventional offensive scheme, I don't think we would have lost by 35.  In fact, I'm confident we may have pulled it off.  When we were down by 21, nothing seemed to work.  The damage is done, but 2008 comes with 12 games and another chance to get back in.  If the BCS computer puts us in the top 10, let the LSU fans bring up the Sun Bowl all they want, it is a computer that put us there, not a human.  We're not going to start there, but we get KU at home, you never know. 

I said it in an earlier post, CJL, needs to stop what he is doing and start recruiting for our fast, but lightwieght D-Line....everything else is fine, we just need some size so were not pushed off the ball anymore.  Why can't we have a D-line like Cincy?  Seeing our guys getting tired of trying to push them around.  Why can't we just bring in the speedy ends on 3rd and passing down?  There's no magic button for backs like Rice and Stewart, and they may have still had over 100 yards against us, but that's expected given how many time they will get the ball. 

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

in a season where were once ranked #2-- the "cinderella story" of the season-- with people in the national media (Mark May, Mandel, etc.) beginning to open their eyes and consider us one of the big boys, the severity of this loss sets us back even further than where we were 2 years ago as just the upstart program that could jump up and give bigger programs a scare.

everything that we "gained" this season in rankings and national credibility has been lost with the Sun Bowl thrashing.

to the rest of the country we were EXPOSED as the biggest phonies and pretenders in a season filled with #1's and #2's that fell...  not only that, it is a downright humiliation to the Big East as a league.  we are a laughing stock.

here's what some people on forums across the country are saying about the Bulls...

"wow USF. you guys f***n suck!!!"

"Yeah...I remember some people spouting off about how the Big East was one of the better conferences, better than the Big 10 and Big 12 blah blah blah.... Can we please put that to rest and realize that it sucks as much now as it did 3 seasons ago"

"Oregon would win the Big East, easily.  Even with all those injuries."

"Big East looks a tad bit off, with UC struggling with Southern Miss, UConn losing to the ACC's 4th or 5th best team, and USF getting slobber knocked by a Dixon-less Oregon team."

"i've seen USF play and i thought they were a solid team and they came out tonight and stunk up the joint."

not to mention Stewart set a Sun Bowl record (and career high) with 253 yards.

55 points was the highest ever scored in the Sun Bowl.

a humiliation on national TV to Rutgers by 3 points is one thing, but we got taken to the woodshed and beat within an inch of our lives, and this game is the last game people are going to remember USF by for the next 9 months.

final season rankings and 2008 preseason rankings are out the window, and most (if not all) of the national attention we gained this year has been squandered.

back to square 1... except now we dont just have to prove we belong with the big boys, but that we're not FLUKES.

winning or losing wasnt the issue.  we could all live with a close loss.  but getting anally penetrated with no vaseline the way we did is inexcusable.

coaching changes HAVE TO be made in the offseason.  i suggest starting with Gregory.

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I hate morons like you b/c you simply don't have the capacity to understand how idiotic your comments are. I guess we should just SHUT DOWN THE **** program, since we will NEVER catch up to programs that have over 100 years head start.

.....but wait a minute we beat Auburn and West Viriginia and some how managed to get another 7 fluke wins this year. Yeah.....we suck.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,666
  • Days Won:  29

I have yet see anything on the national news(print or TV) about how USF fell . . .

It is laughable how some are reacting to this loss.

The 2007 team had more success than the 2006 team, not much - but we did. Fan growth was even better. I expect a much better season in 2008.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  12,293

the loss hurts right now and it will hurt for a little bit longer but come next year no one will talk about the Sun Bowl except for our fans and fans of other big east teams, and of course our redheaded stepsister up there in mousetown.

only difference is that we will have to start from square 2.  we dont got all the way back to square 1 but id say we are on square 2 for the national media.  we will have to get off to a good start next year and all the media will be right back with us.  we are still a very YOUNG program and a great story from trailers to D-1 to bowl games.  in this media market and with the big east behind us, we are ALWAYS capable of jumping right back into the national spotlight.

this loss will be forgotten.  off the top of your head do you remember which team got beat worse then us in a bowl game last year?  nope.  but there was.

heck, oregon lost 38-8 last year to BYU.  i guess they are different though since that loss didn't CRUSH their program like this one did our  ::)

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I hate morons like you b/c you simply don't have the capacity to understand how idiotic your comments are. I guess we should just SHUT DOWN THE **** program, since we will NEVER catch up to programs that have over 100 years head start.

.....but wait a minute we beat Auburn and West Viriginia and some how managed to get another 7 fluke wins this year. Yeah.....we suck.

does it look like i give a rat's whether u hate "morons" like me?

you're a homer, plain and simple.  the lenses of your glasses are so heavily tinted with green and gold that u don't realize when the credibility of the program takes a hit.

the only "moronic" statement in this thread is idiotic, hollow rhetoric like "We ShOuLd JuSt ShuT DuH PrOgRaM DoWn."  try making a valid point.

WVU and AU weren't flukes.  they were good wins.  but 2 wins don't make a program's prestige.  we have to SUSTAIN success and take advantage of opportunities.

if the USF coaching staff is full of suckasses like u that lack the capability to objectively and introspectively analyse their mistakes, we will continue to hit the glass ceiling of 9 wins and a 4-3 record in the Big East.

I have yet see anything on the national news(print or TV) about how USF fell . . .

u don't understand how college football works then.

ABC and NBC nightly news aren't going to report on anything but the major bowls.

ESPN isn't going to spend much air-time on non-ESPN/ABC affiliated bowls, other than the major bowls.

and to all the clowns in this thread yammering about how random people in airports and cab drivers didnt know who we were to begin with, or how bad we lost, don't understand college football either.

the Sun Bowl was the ONLY bowl on national TV Sunday (the others being on ESPN and NFL network).

your random idiot may not have paid any mind to the thumping the Bulls received, but serious CFB junkies, media pollsters and possibly potential recruits sure did.  ignoring the impact of that beatdown on those people is sheer ignorance.

now u homers can feel free to make idiotic exaggerations about "shutting down the program" or calling me a bandwagon rider, but facts are facts.  maybe living in denial helps u sleep better at night.

• Content Count:  12,293

the Sun Bowl was the ONLY bowl on national TV Sunday (the others being on ESPN and NFL network).

actually our game was played on Monday.  see how quick people forget about it.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

LOL!  Rezz FTW.

Pwned.

and yet the point remains the same, and u remain with no point.

thank u, come again.

Archived