• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF schedule next year...Someone slap the scheduler

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  163

you tell the guy what about the division and he still refers to it as division 2 or D2 or whatever

semantics? perhaps. Most knowledgeable college football fans are very aware of the difference. 1-A and 1-AA was fairly easy to understand-- then they made the FBS and FCS-- which is somewhat confusing. However-- the division 2 and 3 and NAIA have not changed. So this distinction is pretty much cut and dry

if you want to argue that USF shouldn't play against FCS (or 1-AA) teams-- fine-- but atleast get the divisional portion of the equation correct.

I have no problem with us continuing to use the FCS opponent to open our season up going forward. It doesn't hurt us in any way--- as long as win--- and it serves a very good purpose in allowing our team to get a game under their belt to prepare for the real season ahead. Some fans complain that we aren't making our schedule strong enough. This season we had the #22 rated toughest schedule in the country. How is that not enough?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  155
  • Days Won:  0

We have one of the better SOS (strength of schedule) in the country.  I'm not too worried.  And we played a couple "dummed down" teams.

yes we did have a decent sos this year... but that was partly based on auburn and louisville supposedly being top 10 teams this year...

i just think that usf was very hungry from day one... but we almost are becomming "complacent"... there is a loss of "fire in the belly"...

really watch the games... even the pitt game... we "had it in the bag" and the defense went to sleep... we cant play like that and expect to beat the "better teams" out there

there is this sense of "meh... we are ranked, we are good enough for now"

it was that hunger in the past that made us the dream crusher for other teams... now ours are getting crushed and we are sitting here HOPING that the sun bowl will pick us... over lame ass cincy

we SHOULD have been sitting here wondering wich bcs bowl we are going too... (truth is, that this season was totally 12-0 possibility... if we hadnt choked... we beat ourselves those 3 games.. every one was winnable)

• Content Count:  5,246
  • Days Won:  2

i'd rathert we replaced the FCS games with squads like Duke, North Texas, N. Illinois, UNLV, etc.

but it is what it is.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we need to stop scheduling those first game DII joke-of-a-game... one of these days we might lose one (remember the fiasco with app state/mich?) .. michigan has been reeling from that all year long... and thats a school with a history... we would be blowtorched for the loss

if USF gets popped by one of those DII teams thats focused (and we go in thinking its cupcake), we will be hearing about it for the rest of the season and beyond... it will kill any chance of a ranking that year and possibly the next one.

we also need to start taking care of business within our own conference... we have an atrocious record against cincy and a few others

we are the second most penalized team in ncaa football... this is a team with so much potential... i dont want to see them turn in to USiF (as in always "if" this or that)

finally someone that undersANDS the game

this is a hall of fame post on content alone

• Content Count:  155

you tell the guy what about the division and he still refers to it as division 2 or D2 or whatever

semantics? perhaps. Most knowledgeable college football fans are very aware of the difference. 1-A and 1-AA was fairly easy to understand-- then they made the FBS and FCS-- which is somewhat confusing. However-- the division 2 and 3 and NAIA have not changed. So this distinction is pretty much cut and dry

if you want to argue that USF shouldn't play against FCS (or 1-AA) teams-- fine-- but atleast get the divisional portion of the equation correct.

I have no problem with us continuing to use the FCS opponent to open our season up going forward. It doesn't hurt us in any way--- as long as win--- and it serves a very good purpose in allowing our team to get a game under their belt to prepare for the real season ahead. Some fans complain that we aren't making our schedule strong enough. This season we had the #22 rated toughest schedule in the country. How is that not enough?

doesnt hurt us in any way... IF WE WIN... my point is that the risk is too high... if some hungry fcs team pulls an app state on us, we wont recover from the embarrassment as well as michigan did (and they didnt recover very well at all) because mich is a much older and more respected proram

my point is that its better to schedule tough games and learn to win the hard way... thats how we rocketed up to where we are from a nothing team a decade ago... we need to turn it up a notch now that we are playing with the big boys

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we need to stop scheduling those first game DII joke-of-a-game... one of these days we might lose one (remember the fiasco with app state/mich?) .. michigan has been reeling from that all year long... and thats a school with a history... we would be blowtorched for the loss

if USF gets popped by one of those DII teams thats focused (and we go in thinking its cupcake), we will be hearing about it for the rest of the season and beyond... it will kill any chance of a ranking that year and possibly the next one.

we also need to start taking care of business within our own conference... we have an atrocious record against cincy and a few others

we are the second most penalized team in ncaa football... this is a team with so much potential... i dont want to see them turn in to USiF (as in always "if" this or that)

Everybody plays these games.  I think there are only a handful of teams (Notre Dame, USC) that don't play 1AA teams.  Why should USF be different than other schools?  Plus we have an extra out of conference game to schedule, so it needs to be a home game for revenue.  This is how bigtime football programs operate.

usf shouldnt play these games

usf needs credibility and money to pay for assistant coaches

usf should take a big payday on road and play a top team every year

• Content Count:  21,065
  • Days Won:  38

I am also against scheduling the perceived "cupcake" games because you have nothing to gain and everything to lose.  Of course the weak schedule is trendy in college football so who knows...  It worked for Hawaii and Ohio State right?

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I don't like the FCS games, but meh, I'll go along with them.

• Content Count:  5,246
  • Days Won:  2

we have an atrocious record against cincy and a few others

uhhh...

2-3 is atrocious?

::)

• Content Count:  1,894

i think its obsurd to think that we would have forgot the mich/app st game along with anyone in college football. This year was a wake up call, and I think you will see more teams handle their business with those teams now. It is a home game which almost all big teams take the smaller school game. Would you rather be like other teams and play their conference game and start off on the wrong foot. I don't like playing these teams for the fact of a small crowd and a less interesting watch but it is needed.

Archived