• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If USF holds you to 55 yards rushing

MikeG

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,246
  • Days Won:  2

the Ford > 24Krap

rushing for 74 yards against Auburn on the plains in his 2nd college game > anything Kevin Smith has done in his entire career

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Especially against Quentin Groves.

• Content Count:  416
  • Days Won:  0

Lets be honest Smith had a great drive on us in our game. After that we took such a commanding lead over them that they went to the Air in an extremely futile attempt to be balanced. Kevin Smith is UCF's team and while his stats are definetly inflated by playing in C-USA and because he happens to play for UCF, don't dismiss him outright. Is he the best back in college FB? A similar question might be is Colt Brennan the best QB in college football? Maybe, who knows but its hard to say so convincingly when you're playing the dregs of the league.

• Content Count:  145

how lame is that 93% vote yes to smith being the best HB in college..wow

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

No doubt USF shut down UCF and capitalized on all of UCF's turnovers in the first half.

Terrible clock management by UCF at the end of the half lead to TD for USF right before the half and the game was over at halftime 29-10.

Kevin only had 2 quick carries in the 3rd Q...then was taken out of the game and benched as GOL put in Curtis Francis, Phillip Smith for some carries, plus Greco got a lot of carries/scrambles as QB.

UCF's running game works well when UCF has a lead...but when down by 3 scores and a team forces UCF to pass (play-action won't fool anyone then), that's UCF's achillies heel this year.

Most RB's have a bad game or two...or miss games all together (Hart at Michigan missed THREE games this year and didn't even win Best Offensive Player in the Big 10...which was awarded to Illinois RB Mendenhall.) but all 3 of those RB's were pre-season favorites to make the Doak list.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Smith is good. I won't dispute that. I think Andre Hall was better, and I think Mike Ford will be better as a Junior. Not better stats, just better RBs (remember, Hall also was our leading receiver in 2005). Here are my thoughts though.

Smith should leave after this season. If you're averaging 30 carries per game, you are eventually going to get hurt, O'Leary is a horrible coach that doesn't manage the situation very well, he is throwing this young player's career away. You say he is their only offensive weapon? Sure, Andre Hall was in the same boat here.

Hall played against better competition and averaged 6.4 yards per carry as a junior (he only carried 19 times per game).

Smith has been abused this year, and if he wants to have an NFL career, he should get out now. As a Bulls fan, you may think I am saying this because I don't want to play him as a senior, but I assure you, that is not it. We will shut him down again as long as O'Leary is your coach.

Let's put it this way... 4 of the top-10 RB's in yards per game are in Conference USA. Defense anyone?

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Smith should definitely leave after this year.  The career of an NFL running back these days isn't much over 10 years, and every hit he takes in college for free in his Senior year should be a hit he is taking in the NFL for $5-7 million a year.

That's just my opinion though.

And FWIW - I hope that George Selvie leaves after his Junior year as well.  He is a D-Lineman, and he needs to start earning bank with his hard work.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Yeah I think he could be the best back if USF held him to 55 yards, because our defense played great early in the season.  Hell we shut down Slaton 2 years in a row and no one says he is not one of the best RBs in the country; and so is Smith.

If I were K. Smith I would leave for the NFL.  Why?  What is there left to prove in CUSA or at UCF, especially if UCF won the CUSA title?  Also, you have not had any QB help this year and it does not look great to get help next year.  So you are looking at another year of 300 carries, and a significant beating without getting paid.

• Content Count:  1,985

they have this segment on the show talking about which is "more likely"

they compare UCF to USF--- and ask which team will consider this season a success.

BOTH clowns say UCf because they are in contention to win the conference title and that USF is already a disappointment. WTF? We beat these idiots by 52 points and they STILL compare us to them as if winning some non-BCS bag of crap league is an accomplishment? How about the fact that we are ranked and will end the season ranked ahead of these fools? Oh yeah-- and they mentioned that UCF might end up in the BHam bowl-- which I guess would be good since that would make BHam pick someone else besides USF

But Bianchi-- of course-- didn't even flinch-- immediately called USFs season a disappointment. You lose three games and you are disappointing. You lose by 52 points to that same team and you are somehow a success.

Moral Victory,,,,, hahaha.  I mean, we could have shut them out, not just shut them up.

explain that to me please

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  163

good point about his limited carries in the second half

UCF coaches got taken completely out of their game plan and abandoned the run. The same thing happened the last time we played them at RJS.

It was good for USF but if I were a UCF fan (picture Snowmen in hell) I would be pissed off that they stopped using their most effective weapon. It is the same thing that helped Rutgers and UConn beat USF_- sticking with the running game and one back racking up huge numbers/carries.

They gave up on that and started passing-- which fed right into our strength on D. Pretty dumb.

Smith is a quality back-- no doubt. UCF should be relying on him like we did with Andre Hall back in the day. Their QBs are not talented enough to to carry them imo-- some balance perhaps needed but you have to grind out games with your star and stick to a gameplan-- otherwise, you are playing into the opponents hand.

Maybe Cyber is right about us relying more on Ford and the running game--- and especially the balance factor. I just have trouble not relying on what works-- Grothe-- for the majority of our offensive output.

Archived