• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Don't be surprised at all at the end of the year

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  145

but the way I see it-- no way Dan McCarney doesn't end up with a new HC job somewhere else after this season.

This was a nice stopover to clear the palet but withthe turmoil seen every season, he is going to be a hot prospect come December.

But I do appreciate having him on our staff this season-- and if he somehow decides to stick around-- awesome. But I'll understand if he heads back to the lead dog position.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  145

here is some supoorting info--- sorry don't have the link available.....

Rumors still swirl around Butch Davis

E-MAIL Print Comment 16 

By Tom Dienhart, Sporting News

Posted October 23, 2007

The talk of Butch Davis leaving North Carolina after one year for Arkansas remains active. Davis doesn't have an out regarding any team, but there is a buyout clause of $2 million.

If Davis bolts -- again, likely a long shot -- look for North Carolina to make a run at Navy's Paul Johnson, a Tar Heel State native who was considered for the N.C. State job last year. He led Georgia Southern to consecutive I-AA titles before taking the Navy job prior to the 2002 season. Navy was 1-20 the two years before Johnson arrived. He entered 2007 with a 37-25 mark.

Nebraska's short list isn't that short

No doubt, Nebraska has to be poking around prospective coaching candidates with the future of Bill Callahan in peril.

I'm told that North Dakota State coach Craig Bohl may be a serious contender.

Bohl, 48, has done a fantastic job in five seasons with the Bison. And, maybe most importantly: Bohl is a Husker to the core. He is from Lincoln and played defensive back (1977-80) for interim A.D. Tom Osborne. He also coached eight seasons (1995-2002) at Nebraska, serving the last three as defensive coordinator.

TCU coach Gary Patterson also could emerge. He has earned a strong rep making the Horned Frogs a power. And he has done it with defense, which may be a point of emphasis for the new coach at Nebraska. According to some sources, Patterson rejected the Minnesota job last year.

Buffalo's Turner Gill has the Nebraska connections (starting quarterback from 1981-83; assistant from 1992-2004) that make sense, but he's too green for a step this big.

LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini could be the strongest possibility. However, he could be on Texas A&M's radar.

And don't forget about former Minnesota coach Glen Mason, one of the best in the biz who is working for the Big Ten Network this fall.

Is the Auburn job better than A&M?

Speculation on the future of Tommy Tuberville remains active.

People wonder: Why would he leave for Texas A&M? Well, he was stabbed in the back a few years ago when movers and shakers had a clandestine coaching search behind his back.

Is the Auburn job better or worse than Texas A&M? It's a good debate. But I will say this: Would you rather deal with a looming power at Alabama or a Texas program that may be on the wane?

No doubt, Tubs is in a good situation whatever he decides. But if I'm him, I play the situation for all it's worth and try to forge a deal in the same pay range as Nick Saban.

Scouting Texas A&M candidates

A new name is emerging for a job that's almost certain to open: West Virginia's Rich Rodriguez. And word is there are several lower-profile guys on the radar, including Pelini, Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett and Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp.

Other targets at A&M are USF's Jim Leavitt, Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak, and Texans offensive coordinator Mike Sherman. And, even South Carolina's Steve Spurrier.

To get more lowdown on the Aggie situation, check out AggieCoach.com.

Fassel wants to return

Word is Jim Fassel wants a head coaching job. He was in the mix for the Stanford post last year.

He was the head coach of the New York Giants from 1997-2003, leading the team to Super Bowl 35 and a 58-53 mark. Most recently, he was offensive coordinator of the Baltimore Ravens (2004-06) before losing his job.

Fassel was head coach of Utah from 1985-89, going 25-33. He currently is a radio commentator for NFL games on Westwood One.

Seeking Lubick's successor

With Sonny Lubick apparently set to retire, the Colorado State post will get a lot of attention.

There is no shortage of candidates. Among the best are Pittsburgh Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson and Montana coach Bobby Hauck.

And don't forget about Akron coach J.D. Brookhart and USF assistant Dan McCarney. Brookhart is a CSU alum who does a lot in a limited situation.

Rising stars

Among a couple guys to keep an eye on is Grambling coach Rod Broadway. He took over a program that was 3-8 and has it poised for a winning record. He's a past protege of Steve Spurrier, having coached with the master at Florida and Duke. Broadway loves wide-open offense.

Liberty coach Danny Rocco is another rising star. He's in his second year rehabbing the program -- and he's turning heads. Before Liberty, Rocco was assistant head coach at Virginia to Al Groh and also has worked for the Jets, Maryland, Texas, Boston College, Colorado and Wake Forest, among other stops. Rocco, who played at Penn State and Wake, is a well-connected commodity with a bright future.

Scuttlebutt

Is Georgia Tech's Chan Gailey in trouble? Word is he and the A.D. don't get along well. Gailey denied a recent report that he will be canned after this year.

Some think Arizona A.D. Jim Livengood and Ole Miss A.D. Pete Boone are in trouble. What's that mean for their respective coaches --Mike Stoops and Ed Oregeron? Stay tuned. This could get very interesting.

Tom Dienhart is a staff writer for Sporting News. E-mail him at tdienhart@sportingnews.com.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  16,337
  • Days Won:  43

Happy to have Coach McCarney.  Also, I am happy to still have Carl Franks at USF as well.

• Content Count:  2,478
  • Days Won:  0

That's good for him. As long as we still have Leavitt and Defensive Coordinator Wally Burnham we are good to go.

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

that article is funny.

why in the **** would CJL leave USF for TxA&M?

i mean, he passed up Alabama, Kansas State and was rumored for Miami... what would TxA&M offer that any of those other schools, of even USF for that matter, don't offer?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,745
  • Days Won:  3

...because that's half the fun of the wonderful world of message boards.

So, you're not happy with your coach? Then wallow in whatever fantasy you believe

will put you on the fast-track to that oh-so-elusive National Championship! Pick whatever

coach you want - doesn't matter if you've never talked to the coach or have any back

ground on him...just throw that name out there.

Besides...it's the internet. We're all anonymous.  ::)

• Content Count:  5,241

If we could keep Mccarney, that would be amazing! Give him and Wally some bonus $$$

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

USF is a better job right now that A&M, why would they even write this stuff.

USF has a clearer path to the BCS every year.

USF has tons of talent surrounding them.

Do these guys even do any research before writing this stuff... 

• Content Count:  7,890

CJL's name is going to be passed around for a lot on jobs but he will never leave unless it’s to the NFL. Now for McCarney I never thought of him as a long time fix here at USF the only reason he is here is because ISU is still paying him (we could not pay him what he is worth) and because of his relationship with CJL. Remember most people in college football think he got screwed at ISU

• Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

that article is funny.

why in the **** would CJL leave USF for TxA&M?

i mean, he passed up Alabama, Kansas State and was rumored for Miami... what would TxA&M offer that any of those other schools, of even USF for that matter, don't offer?

Most people who have heard of USF still think we are a small school that just happens to have a good year this year.  The plain and simple fact is that we are better positioned than most to make a National Championship run, the talent base is huge, and CJL is already a legend of sorts here.

I think more coaches would rather come here than go to those other jobs that keep popping up.

Archived