• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

GIVE FOOOOOOOORD THE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  137
  • Days Won:  0

I wonder if Leavitt will address the Ford situation.  He has to be doing something behind the scenes to prevent him being in the game more.  If that is the case then fine I put the blame on him for screwing up.  If not, there is no excuse.

I know 2 weeks ago he was benched at FAU for missing classes....but other than that I can't think of anything. We all know he isn't a rhodes scholar...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  21,080
  • Days Won:  39

I wonder if Leavitt will address the Ford situation.  He has to be doing something behind the scenes to prevent him being in the game more.  If that is the case then fine I put the blame on him for screwing up.  If not, there is no excuse.

I know 2 weeks ago he was benched at FAU for missing classes....but other than that I can't think of anything. We all know he isn't a rhodes scholar...

I remember that, but he wasn't sat for the game like in the FAU game.  He just had very limited touches like in the UCF game and he scored a touchdown like in the UCF game.

• Content Count:  5,241

He does need the ball more.

Benji is respectable, but does not need to get the majority of carries.

On 3rd and 2, YOU DONT GIVE IT TO THE 5'7 RB!!! You give it to the 6'2 220 lbs. RB NAMED MIKE FORD!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,490
  • Days Won:  13

He does need the ball more.

Benji is respectable, but does not need to get the majority of carries.

On 3rd and 2, YOU DONT GIVE IT TO THE 5'7 RB!!! You give it to the 6'2 220 lbs. RB NAMED MIKE FORD!

that is Leavitts main problem...... playing guys that shuld not be starting

• Content Count:  919

I have to believe that Ford isn't playing more because he hasn't picked up all the offense and isn't picking up the blocking schemes either.  Once he does so, I expect the coaches will give him more touches.

We all share the same frustration.  A couple of adjustments, and USF wins that game.  My main complaint for years with USF's offense is that they give up on the run too fast.  This year has been better until Thursday night.  I really expected USF to come out in the 2nd half and pound the run like they did against FIU. 

In the big picture, 6-1 at this point of the season aint bad.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I have to believe that Ford isn't playing more because he hasn't picked up all the offense and isn't picking up the blocking schemes either.  Once he does so, I expect the coaches will give him more touches.

We all share the same frustration.  A couple of adjustments, and USF wins that game.  My main complaint for years with USF's offense is that they give up on the run too fast.  This year has been better until Thursday night.  I really expected USF to come out in the 2nd half and pound the run like they did against FIU. 

In the big picture, 6-1 at this point of the season aint bad.

There should be no more excuses for Ford not being a bigger part of this offense at this point.  Either is the real deal or the other guys are considered by the coaches to be better than him.  We have heard the excuses that he was out of football shape.  We have heard the excuses of him not knowing the playbook  Come on now. let's be for real.  He signed his letter of intent in january and enrolled in school immediately.  He went through Spring practice.  He went through summer conditioning and we are now into week 9 of the season.

I don't want to hear that he isn't in football shape anymore.  Guys that go through ACL surgery get into football shape faster than this and they are immobile for many months.  he was stil playing ball at Hargrave, just not at the high level of cometiition.

After almost 11 months of working with the playbook, he should have enough of an understanding of the playbook to be in there for at 50% to 75% of the plays.  he knew the playbook well enough to get 18 touches and move the ball effectively against Auburn.  Arguably the toughest defense we have ever faced. 

Ford has proven he can pound out yardage effectively on 1st and 2nd down.  Put in a fullback, simplify the playbook and tell the guys up front to step it up.  let Ford pound out 3 and 4 yards a pop on first and second down so grothe doesn't have to take abeating.  Let them try to focus on stopping Ford's power and Grothe becomes that much more effective in what he does.  We are in 3rd and more than 5 way too much.  not just in one game, but in all the games.  We put too much pressure on grothe to make great plays.  let's let him just manage the game and grothe will really become unstoppable.

Unless he is hurt or unless he just is absolutely horrible in practive, time to give him tha ball and say Mike go do your thing.  just grind out the game for us.  If you fumble don't worry.  go get'em next time.  Play through it and the defense will get the ball back.  time for productivity from the RB position.  I'll take that in exchange for a sack, if they can get to Grothe in the first place. 

Time to see what the young man can do.

• Content Count:  1,297

I agree with you - I too was frustrated earlier in the year that he wasn't getting the touches.......but after watching a few more games and especially after he missed a block during the Rutgers game and Grothe got hammered, I think he needs some more time to develop.  If he can pick up his assignments better, he will be the back we all expected him to be.  It's not the end of Ford......remember he's just a freshman.  Growing pains.

• Content Count:  1,457

Mike Ford = BEST RB on the team!  That is why we lost.  Ford runs people over.  ben Williams is a waste of a roster spot!.  He has one good game against a crappy defense.  Thanks for nothing.

Penalties is why we lost.  Sacks (6 in the 2nd half) is why we lost.  Not playing Ford is NOT why we lost.  Give it a rest, I know you're hurt, I'm sure we all are, but please do not take this out on those not responsible.

Giving Grothe his peeps - alot of those sacks were designed runs w/tackle for a loss (well not alot but a few).  He was caught outright 3 times and could have thrown to the bleachers on one occassion.

Ford is getting his legs.  With a 6 - 1 record Leavitt has many players is reserve:

Busbee

Hill (TE)

Ford

Harris

Hester

Also, the others:  Grothe, Johnson, Moffit, Selvie, Clebert, Buie, Williams (all) are consistently playing like top #10 football players.

With 1/2 of the season left we are REALLY in a great spot to:

make a run at the top 5 again

win the BE at 11-1 (10-2 w/co if weird scenario works out)

return to 2 BCS's Bowls

• Content Count:  3,827

Simply put: Ford has less negative plays and more big plays(% wise) than Williams.

And just to throw a monkey wrench into the deal, did Gregory/Franks/Leavitt forget about Taylor's game vs WV? This man needs to be put in space. I dont think they're utilizing him correctly...but then again, they arent using ANY of our backs correctly, in my opinion.

Archived