• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Are You Serious??-Greenie Calls us a Commuter School

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

I always thought us being called a commuter school is a little silly at times.

A crap load of students live across Fletcher in apartments!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I just took it as Greenie taking a slight pot-shot at USF. Like when he stated that he's happy to be at Va. Tech because "kids grow up wanting to be Hokies." I love USF no matter what anyone says, but it does sound like sour grapes when Greenie is saying that he didn't get much support because we're a commuter school. A more accurate assesment would be he didn't get much support because he was a "used car salesman" that couldn't win the big game.

• Content Count:  72

We are are a school in a metropolitan area.  We are a "commuter" school because people CAN live off campus, sometime a good deal off campus.  Gainesville, College Station, Eugene, Norman...not so much.  It's not really an insult.  Now if they say anything about not having an OCS then by all means flame away.

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Seth is my hero... I'll take him over RMC anyday... let's compare records... Big East or not... people say Seth can't win... well, he did make the NCAA tourney whereas we hope to make the Big East tourney. 

But honestly... let's move forward and give Stan Heath some love... I one day look forward to the day when I can place USF on my basketball bracket. Seth tried and failed... but it was a valiant attempt. 

• Content Count:  1,492

USF is officially a commuter school. There was an article in the Oracle talking about how Genshaft hoped by 2012 a quarter of students will live on campus (a requirement needed to be designated as a residential campus).

• Content Count:  1,492

http://media.www.usforacle.com/media/storage/paper880/news/2007/10/04/News/Usf-President.Praises.Progress-3011048.shtml

Genshaft said the administration aims to have a quarter of the student body living on campus or in USF-affiliated housing by 2012, a figure required by the Carnegie Foundation to designate USF a "residential

institution."

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

We are are a school in a metropolitan area.  We are a "commuter" school because people CAN live off campus, sometime a good deal off campus.  Gainesville, College Station, Eugene, Norman...not so much.  It's not really an insult.  Now if they say anything about not having an OCS then by all means flame away.

of course it is an insult--- it is a way of telling people we aren't quite a real school in their eyes. If it isn't an insult-- tell me why I hear it from a-holes who are talking crap about our school?

EXACTLY--- because it IS AN INSULT and meant to be some sort of knock on everyone who goes to this school.

USF could cure cancer and we'd still have idiots in the world throwing that commuter label on anything we accomplished-- some because they are buttwipes who cannot allow USF to be seen as anything but a lesser version of themselves. Others because it is on some idiots fact sheet.

The need to call us a commuter school has long since passed. It serves absolutely NO PURPOSE WHATSOEVER other than to scale down anything we ever accomplish.

I ignore these clowns who use this label. As soon as I hear someone spout that nonsense out-- I discount everything they ever say again as being "misinformed horsecrap". You see-- I can attach a label to people just as easily as they can to my beloved institution. Screw those second class bags of animal dung.

• Content Count:  1,238

USF IS a commuter school. USF IS a directional school. Those things aren't insults unless you take them as such. We can be both and still kick a$$.

I think most students, alum and fans agree with this. IMO, it's the fact that when folks either compliment or put us down they alway return to those two facts. USF is so much more than this and until we show them on the field, we will always hear these things. I don't hear anyone using the excuse for Miami. "Oh they're winning because they're a commuter school or they're losing because they're a commuter school". In the end, all the talk will be for nothing because in the end the final score of a game speaks the truth and a win speaks louder than a lose.

So let them foam at the mouth with what ever they want. They can't change the fact, when the days is done and the dust clears, the here and now speaks loudly...USF #2 within 11yrs.

• Content Count:  478

Hi everyone

I hate to put my 2 cents in about something like this. I think this is a pretty silly/petty thing to debate - esp since it is coming from a guy we let go (fired?)  like HOW many years ago?

When I was in SG (yes a long long time ago I realize) I remember reading in an official publication/memo/report (can't remember) that 75% of tampa campus traditional/non transfer college aged students lived within 1.5 miles of campus. We now have more beds than FSU. UM and USC (southern cal) can't boast those numbers.

Unless things have changed in the last 7 years - Tampa Palms apts are FILLED with USF students, so are apt complexes that surround campus AND don't forget the dorms. While visiting campus recently I met a lot of students that were from MD, NJ and other places in the N. East. Commuter School is not a bad thing. Some of the BEST universities in big cities share that title. However, I am not sure USF qualifies as such BECAUSE of the high number of FTIC students living on campus and the very high number of students living within 1.5 miles.

Call it what you want. The numbers seem to suggest otherwise.

• Content Count:  478

Sorry! I just realized that Jim just said the exact same thing in another thread! never mind....  ;D

Archived