• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Are You Serious??-Greenie Calls us a Commuter School

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

Greenberg 'very happy' for USF football

A Virginia newspaper asked former USF basketball coach Seth Greenberg about his old school's football success, and the Hokies coach said he's "very happy" to see Jim Leavitt's team off to a 6-0 start.

"He was extremely focused and committed to his plan," Greenberg told the Roanoke Times. "I liked Jim. I'm very happy for him and his staff."

The paper brings up the possibility of a "Seth Greenberg Bowl" if USF and Virginia Tech meet in the Orange Bowl as champs of the Big East and ACC. There's one quote Bulls fans might take exception to, though I think it's intended as a positive look-at-them-now kind of statement.

"I have some friends that are really excited about it," Greenberg said. "It is more of a commuter school; we didn't have a great following. But obviously success breeds passion

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  698

I don't think he ment it as in insult. He is speaking the truth.

• Content Count:  1,638
  • Days Won:  3

Yeah, and obviously he didn't bring us success....

• Content Count:  385

Another excuse....just because you sucked and nobody went to the games doesn't make you a commuter school.

• Content Count:  1,991

I don't think he ment it as in insult. He is speaking the truth.

I disagree I do not think for the academic year 2007-2008 we fall under the commuter school category

• Content Count:  2,363

USF IS a commuter school. USF IS a directional school. Those things aren't insults unless you take them as such. We can be both and still kick a$$.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

is a 60 second commute considered a commute?  we have so many people living on or withing a stone's throw of campus... there is no way we can be considered commuter.  Any huge school will have its commuters, but we have a huge portion living close enough to be considered on campus.

• Content Count:  2,363

is a 60 second commute considered a commute?  we have so many people living on or withing a stone's throw of campus... there is no way we can be considered commuter.  Any huge school will have its commuters, but we have a huge portion living close enough to be considered on campus.

If I remember the numbers correctly (and I may not be, and it's likely they've changed) USF has 5Kish beds on campus, with another 10K USF students living <5 minutes drive from the University. Even if all of them are considered resident students (and they are for most intents and purposes) that's 15K of the what, 36K or so who attend classes on the Tampa campus? That makes us, by definition, a commuter school. Though yo uare absolutely right in that any huge school will have its commuters. I've got no research to back this up, but I'd wager that the majority of the schools in the FBS are commuter schools--it's smaller, usually private, institutions that tend to be residential in nature (more than 50% living on campus)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

Another excuse....just because you sucked and nobody went to the games doesn't make you a commuter school.

and there is the problem. Will you stop going to the football games as well if they were to lose a few games.

USF Basketball has been bad the past few years, but the students still need to support them.

If we dont support Heath and his Bulls they will never improve. What recruit wants to play in an empty SunDome?

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

jesus does there have to be a new thread every time someone doesn't put on the kneepads and completely s**k us off?

please, can we get over all this oversensitivity and worry about FOOTBALL-- as in what actually happens on the field??

that's all that matters.

crying cuz someone called us a commuter school or a directional school is some really feminine sh**.  lay off the estrogen hormone therapy and grow some testicles, please.  to paraphrase Tom Hanks: "there's no crying in football!"

not meant for anyone in particular, but the whining about stuff said in the media is getting ridiculous.  stop it.

Archived