• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Are You Serious??-Greenie Calls us a Commuter School

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  122
  • Days Won:  0

I am a little perplexed as to why people consider USF a commuter school. USF has more on campus housing than Florida State. Its on campus housing is nearly always full. There are thousands of bed’s occupied by students within five miles of the campus, with most of these being apartment complexes built just for university students.

My problem with the commuter tag is that we have just as many people living on or around campus as any school in the nation. USF can not be labeled a commuter school just because Tampa is a large city and the university is not the only thing there. Now more than ever, the majority of USF students are traditional college students (i.e., just graduated from high school, live either on campus or in a student apartment complex, etc.)

USF is no longer a commuter school. That tag is old and outdated.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  339

While I agree that we need to just lay off the media because there are always going to be naysayers with every program that is in the Big Spot light......The myth of USF still being a commuter school is inaccurate.  You can't expect any school in the nation to put 35,000 students on campus.  If you haven't lived in the USF area you may not realize what has happened to the area surrounding campus.  There have been at least 15-20 new (large) apartment complexes built in very close proximity to school in the last 7-8 years.  These residents are not being built for all the families that are choosing to move-in next door to USF.  They are obviously for students.  We've built a huge number of additional dormrooms on campus.  We have more students on campus than FSU.

A commuter school is a school where kids live at home and drive to campus every day.  For years this may have been an accurate description of USF.  For the last few years though, I'd say that is less of the norm.  Again, you're not going to put everybody at school in a dorm (nobody does it, especially not on the 35,000 level).  Kids moving up from out of the area (sarasota, naples, lakeland, etc.) and renting in an apartment next to campus does NOT equate to being a commuter (no matter what school you're talking about.

The comment, was Seth trying to save face as to why he was never able to create the buzz that Leavitt has at USF.

• Content Count:  341

jesus does there have to be a new thread every time someone doesn't put on the kneepads and completely s**k us off?

please, can we get over all this oversensitivity and worry about FOOTBALL-- as in what actually happens on the field??

that's all that matters.

crying cuz someone called us a commuter school or a directional school is some really feminine sh**.  lay off the estrogen hormone therapy and grow some testicles, please.  to paraphrase Tom Hanks: "there's no crying in football!"

not meant for anyone in particular, but the whining about stuff said in the media is getting ridiculous.  stop it.

you just offended women on this board....you don't see me whining so why do you have to associate it with being female...why are you always so crude?

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

He's whining about whining.... how ironic ;D

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Let's keep this on-topic:

Greenberg reeks of sour grapes.

• Content Count:  24

USF IS a commuter school. USF IS a directional school. Those things aren't insults unless you take them as such. We can be both and still kick a$$.

Agreed. I don't see either of those as negatives. We are a great school with a great football program. Go Bulls!

He's whining about whining.... how ironic ;D

if you're referring to me...i'm not a he

Actually, i wasn't referring to you.

• Content Count:  341

ok..good

btw..you're really quick on your responses because i reread it and decided you weren't talking about me...then i deleted my post and you had already responded by then...stop refreshing the page every five seconds Velcro...haha..j/k

LOL... sorry (that better?  took 20 minutes to respond to that one  ;D ;D ;D)

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

you just offended women on this board....you don't see me whining so why do you have to associate it with being female...why are you always so crude?

lol. this is America... someone is always going to be offended by something.

Archived