• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brett/TBO: On-Campus Stadium Has Benefits, But Ray-Jay Suits USF Just Fine

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

if we just win like 6-7 national championships, we could fund it more easily. duh!  ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  41

Instead of renovating the SunDome they could knock it down, play basketball at the ice palace/tropicana field and build a Georgia Dome type stadium where the SunDome stands.  During football season it could be George Steinbrenner(sp) field at Budweiser Stadium and during basketball season it could be some other rich person court at Budweiser Stadium.  Combined that put us $40 mill closer to the goal.  It'll never happen but it's an idea.

• Content Count:  743

Instead of renovating the SunDome they could knock it down, play basketball at the ice palace/tropicana field and build a Georgia Dome type stadium where the SunDome stands.  During football season it could be George Steinbrenner(sp) field at Budweiser Stadium and during basketball season it could be some other rich person court at Budweiser Stadium.  Combined that put us $40 mill closer to the goal.  It'll never happen but it's an idea.

thank god it will never happen because I for one really don't want to go to games in a dome.

• Content Count:  2,511

RJS is a great place to play, especially with the current trend of sold out games and the new bump of student tickets to 12,501 students.

In the long run, an on campus stadium would be a huge benefit to the university, but we need to build something like the Gopher's new stadium.

In the meantime, the USF Student Government must commit to providing adequate buses to shuttle students between USF and RJS.  The obvious reasons are:

• Some students do not have a car, so they need transportation to the game
  • Some students, most likely foreign students, do not even have a driver's license, so they cannot drive at all
  • Some younger students, such as freshmen, might be intimidated taking that trek on I-275 to RJS, so they should have the option of taking a bus to the game

While most of the SG stepped up to the plate for extra buses for the WVU game and beyond, a few clowns bellyached about spending A&S fees for the buses.  Why?  This is an expense for an activity that a large number of students can participate in.  What are they saving the funds for?  The surf club? (Show me where you can surf on the Tampa Bay area  ::) )

The football games are great spirit builders for USF, and as long as the students keep coming at the current level, then SG must provide transportation for the students who do not have the option of driving to the game.  They obviously cannot shuttle every student, and some students may prefer to tailgate with their friends or respective on-campus groups.

If you are talking about the few Senators who were discussing other ideas... I don't blame you.  But do remember, it was only a few Senators from the Student Senate (and all voted yes for the extra $10,000 for the rest of the year anyway).  The Student Government Administration has been doing everything in our power to provide as many busses and ease as possible.  Not all 14 busses were filled going to the WVU game (we guessed the early concert/etc was the reason)... so if anyone wants it... they can have it!  We will have 15 busses out in lot 17B like always.  We have always provided the busses, it's just that we were cought off guard with our crazy season! 

GO BULLS!

I applaud the SG for getting the job done in such a short time.  Please keep up the good work.  :clap :cheers

I only get my information from the Oracle, so I do not know all the ins and outs of the daily SG discussions.  The alternative idea that I knew would never fly was free parking for student car poolers.  The TSA and the Bucs would never renegotiate that deal since parking is one their main incomes from USF next to concessions.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

If anyone didn't go through the links and read up on the Minnesota stadium, it's a mix of chairbacks and benches. Probably chairbacks for the big-time donors, benches for everyone else.

• Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

The arguement that pitt, usc, um and a few other playing off campus is weak, first off they receive revenues from parking and concessions, we DONT.  Pitt has their own lockeroom, we are jamming 100 players into a 65 player lockeroom.  Pitt has their name permanetly written all over the stadium, the glazers had a very hard time even allowing us to place a plaque in the club lounge.  We are paying to play in a stadium that was paid for by the taxpayers, and we can not claim any of the revenues besides ticket sales and a few premium parking spots.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

I think the bar for what constitutes an 'acceptable stadium' has been raised significantly.

There's only x-amount of renovation you can do to that stadium you built back in spring of '47,

and the cost for a quality stadium, being what it is, you've got to have some pretty deep pockets

to git 'er done.

Is it true that the stadium at YOU-KNOW-WHERE was put together due to time constratints associated

with the Citrus Bowl construction/renovation? Was that the 'master plan', or was it what could be done

in the time frame given? Or was it a combination more of funds available and the fact that playing almost

anywhere else would be a step up from the old venue?

The reason I bring that up is, would a similar facility at USF be acceptable? I'm thinking the correct answer

is: "No". 

• Content Count:  176

Big mistake to build in the 50-55,000 range, if possible would think 75-85,000 would serve our needs for future.

• Content Count:  296

Big mistake to build in the 50-55,000 range, if possible would think 75-85,000 would serve our needs for future.

If you read the article on their stadium, the structure is there to expand to 72,000 and 80,000 seats.

• Content Count:  1,492

Why is everyone making a big stink about chair backs!?!? The most storied college football stadiums have benches! Chill out with the we need chair-backs bull

Archived