• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brett/TBO: On-Campus Stadium Has Benefits, But Ray-Jay Suits USF Just Fine

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  104
  • Days Won:  0

No offense to Brett, but that article kind of leaves me saying:  "Duh!"

A stadium like Bright House, or what FAU is building, just isn't going to cut it for USF.  UCF was playing at the Citrus Bowl and FAU plays at Lockhart.  An on-campus stadium - ANY on campus stadium - is likely going to be an upgrade from those facilities.  So, it makes sense for both of those schools to do whatever they need to do to build an OCS "on the cheap".

But who is going to want to move from the club seats and all the amenities at RayJay to bench seats in an aluminum stadium?  There is NO ONE who thinks that makes sense.  I'm not even sure that the $288 million Gopher stadium would make people happy.  We'd essentially need to re-create Raymond James on campus and, at this point, that clearly makes no sense.  10 or 15 more seasons like this one, and maybe some serious discussions could start.  But right now, we're renters.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JulmisteForPrez

I'm not even sure that the $288 million Gopher stadium would make people happy.  We'd essentially need to re-create Raymond James on campus...

:nope :nope :nope :nope

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!!

Re-create Raymond James?!?!?!

How does A.D. 2478 sound for a groundbreaking, then?  At least our great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandchildren can fly their cars to USF's very own stadium.

I'm all for building a nice stadium with reasonable creature comforts, but to expect a RayJay replica is..............well, there is no word in the English language strong enough to describe how insane that is.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I'm sure the movers and shakers at USF will be intently waiting on the completion of Minnesota's stadium to see what the final product looks like. Ultimately, our fan base will have get used a stadium with lesser amenities than Ray Jay because college ball is all about atmosphere and a sense of ownership. A quality on-campus stadium doesn't have to be like Ray Jay to get USF fans excited.

• Content Count:  1,991

What is the deal with the softball facility and other plans, when do they plan on moving some dirt on these projects?

• Content Count:  936

Of the 66 BCS schools, USF is one of nine that doesn't have an on-campus stadium. And that likely won't change any time soon without some major financial gifts.

****. Wish I had some major finances to make a major financial gift :(

• Content Count:  1,532

RJS is a great place to play, especially with the current trend of sold out games and the new bump of student tickets to 12,501 students.

In the long run, an on campus stadium would be a huge benefit to the university, but we need to build something like the Gopher's new stadium.

In the meantime, the USF Student Government must commit to providing adequate buses to shuttle students between USF and RJS.  The obvious reasons are:

• Some students do not have a car, so they need transportation to the game
  • Some students, most likely foreign students, do not even have a driver's license, so they cannot drive at all
  • Some younger students, such as freshmen, might be intimidated taking that trek on I-275 to RJS, so they should have the option of taking a bus to the game

While most of the SG stepped up to the plate for extra buses for the WVU game and beyond, a few clowns bellyached about spending A&S fees for the buses.  Why?  This is an expense for an activity that a large number of students can participate in.  What are they saving the funds for?  The surf club? (Show me where you can surf on the Tampa Bay area  ::) )

The football games are great spirit builders for USF, and as long as the students keep coming at the current level, then SG must provide transportation for the students who do not have the option of driving to the game.  They obviously cannot shuttle every student, and some students may prefer to tailgate with their friends or respective on-campus groups.

If you are talking about the few Senators who were discussing other ideas... I don't blame you.  But do remember, it was only a few Senators from the Student Senate (and all voted yes for the extra $10,000 for the rest of the year anyway).  The Student Government Administration has been doing everything in our power to provide as many busses and ease as possible.  Not all 14 busses were filled going to the WVU game (we guessed the early concert/etc was the reason)... so if anyone wants it... they can have it!  We will have 15 busses out in lot 17B like always.  We have always provided the busses, it's just that we were cought off guard with our crazy season! 

GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  113

when USF decides they want to build something like the Gopher stadium i'd gladly pony up some money, might not be much but i'd def like to help. i agree with most that Ray Jay is a good place to be for now but i will continue to dream of the day when i drive onto the USF campus and see a beautiful football stadium.

The surf club? (Show me where you can surf on the Tampa Bay area  ::) )

These are from a little more than a month ago at Treasure Island in St. Pete. Pinellas county gets decent waves most of the year from Clearwater south. 

IMG_9009.jpg

[img width=400 height=314]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/ptimario/IMG_8990.jpg

pics from www.gulfster.com

• Content Count:  127

the Ray J right now is awesome but when do build something of our own everyone wants something close to it.  Including seat backs

to me thats fine but when we say seat backs are you saying induviual seats with backs or maybe something cost effective (like LSU i think couldnt find a picture) metal benches with a metal seat back connected?

did anyone else see that or did i just imagine it?

• Content Count:  1,480

the Ray J right now is awesome but when do build something of our own everyone wants something close to it.  Including seat backs

to me thats fine but when we say seat backs are you saying induviual seats with backs or maybe something cost effective (like LSU i think couldnt find a picture) metal benches with a metal seat back connected?

did anyone else see that or did i just imagine it?

The old sombrero added those backs to the bench seating and it was aweful. Was much more comfortable beforehand since they were too close to the seat and only half your a$$ would fit on the bench.

• Content Count:  771

Would ya'll be happy with a Ray J on campus? Serious question. A stadium that would seat 75,000 plus. Have a decent amount of parking around the campus. Have water fountains. So on and so forth. Since USF is moving forward at a faster pace than other schools, or so it seems, who would you see as a major sponsor of the stadium... who would you contact out in the local Tampa Bay Community? It can be done. Leavitt is not going to say no to the idea. Neither would a majority of the students. Just who is gonna want to fund the beast.

Archived