• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Went to the US/Ecuador game last Sunday. Drew over 31,000 people. Any possibly plans to bring an MLS team back to Tampa?

usasoccer.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

National Pride>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>A third rate league when it comes to attendance.  The MLS wont appeal to enough people until it starts pulling marquee players from around the world that are in their prime, a washed up Beckham who is only effective on set pieces doesnt count.  You have to remember as far as fan support the MLS is competing with the EPL, Italian Serie A, Spanish ,French and other leagues around the world that pull in fans, not to mention elite players.  I dont think it would work here because a large number of the soccer fans in the area support foreign teams, especially fans who are from other countries.      

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

No way. The Mutiny were lucky if they had 1000 fans at some games, I really doubt the MLS will ever be back for a long long time.

Plus, they are currently exploring Orlando for expansion hard to see 2 teams that close to each other.

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

It would be nice to see them come in and offer DW $$$ to put a 6,000 seat expandable soccer stadium on campus for joint use.  Seasons barely overlap and with limited ticket availability, MLS could do well here.  Rowdies did.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  928

Went to the US/Ecuador game last Sunday. Drew over 31,000 people. Any possibly plans to bring an MLS team back to Tampa?

usasoccer.jpg

I was at the game too. Landon Donovan had an amazing game.

As far as fan support for MLS, I just can't see it. People always say that TB is a huge sports community but only AFTER a team wins a national championship.

No one cares about the Devil Rays, no one cared about the Bolts at the beginning of the season. No one would care if there was an NBA team, so why would anyone care about soccer? Tampa is a football and hockey (if they're winning) town, not the "sports town" everyone makes it to be. My hometown, Seattle, is a sports town. When Real Madrid came to town to play DC United, they sold out seahawks stadium (65,000) even with ticket prices through the roof - and I doubt half the fans were legit Madrid fans, like those Ecuadorean losers.

With that being said, if tampa were to ever get an MLS team, I would have season tickets.

Home%20Page%20-%20US%20Soccer%20Logo.gif

SUPPORT US SOCCER!

I hear conflicting things all the time about soccer in Tampa. I hear on the one hand that the Rowdies brought in a lot of people but then I hear that the Mutiny didn't. I don't know what kind of town Tampa is... Football is pretty much popular in any city it is in and hockey is fairly popular here too... baseball? Might be better if TBD were not in the same division as the Sox and the Yanks or if they spent more than $7.50 on it's players.

IMO I think soccer could work here in Tampa, but, like everything else in the world, you have to find an owner who is really dedicated to seeing the team succeed (financially, not win championships). I believe the Mutiny were owned by MLS itself, I'm not too sure, and league owned teams are just pending train wrekcs.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I hear conflicting things all the time about soccer in Tampa. I hear on the one hand that the Rowdies brought in a lot of people but then I hear that the Mutiny didn't. I don't know what kind of town Tampa is... Football is pretty much popular in any city it is in and hockey is fairly popular here too... baseball? Might be better if TBD were not in the same division as the Sox and the Yanks or if they spent more than $7.50 on it's players.

IMO I think soccer could work here in Tampa, but, like everything else in the world, you have to find an owner who is really dedicated to seeing the team succeed (financially, not win championships). I believe the Mutiny were owned by MLS itself, I'm not too sure, and league owned teams are just pending train wrekcs.

yes but when the marquee player in your league is a washed up player who is only effective in set pieces how will this draw real fans of the sport.  The MLS is joke to fans who are really interested in futbol which are the same people who are willing to invest into season tickets to the game and make the franchise profitable which is what really matters in the end.  

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  928

The MLS is joke to fans who are really interested in futbol which are the same people who are willing to invest into season tickets to the game and make the franchise profitable which is what really matters in the end.  

I refer to the MLS as the minor leagues for Europe.

I'm just curious how Columbus, SC has a bigger soccer following than Tampa? How could that be?

usasoccer.jpg

I was at the game too. Landon Donovan had an amazing game.

As far as fan support for MLS, I just can't see it. People always say that TB is a huge sports community but only AFTER a team wins a national championship.

No one cares about the Devil Rays, no one cared about the Bolts at the beginning of the season. No one would care if there was an NBA team, so why would anyone care about soccer? Tampa is a football and hockey (if they're winning) town, not the "sports town" everyone makes it to be. My hometown, Seattle, is a sports town. When Real Madrid came to town to play DC United, they sold out seahawks stadium (65,000) even with ticket prices through the roof - and I doubt half the fans were legit Madrid fans, like those Ecuadorean losers.

With that being said, if tampa were to ever get an MLS team, I would have season tickets.

Home%20Page%20-%20US%20Soccer%20Logo.gif

SUPPORT US SOCCER!

If Real Madrid or Man U came to Tampa to play against.... well, anyone.... I'm pretty sure they would sell out too. I don't think it's a matter of location that the game sold out I think it's who is on the field. That being said, I have no idea if an MLS team in Seattle would have higher attendance than in Tampa.

Also, according to this Sports Economics Blog I read (yep, the both of both worlds for me!) they say that soccer matches attain higher ratings on TV than the NHL. Of course, they don't mention MLS specifically.

http://thesportseconomist.com/2007/03/step-aside-nhl.htm

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

The MLS is joke to fans who are really interested in futbol which are the same people who are willing to invest into season tickets to the game and make the franchise profitable which is what really matters in the end.  

I refer to the MLS as the minor leagues for Europe.

I'm just curious how Columbus, SC has a bigger soccer following than Tampa? How could that be?

It's Columbus, Ohio....  :)