• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The end of the Big East Basketball Conference

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The Cuse and Drexel got screwed.  Arkansas got in by their run in the SEC tourney.

It helped, but I think Arkansas got in because of their number of Wins (over 20), RPI (35)  SOS (10), and key OOC wins (Southern Illinois, WVU)...

Most of all it was the committee rewarding a tough schedule. They also played Missouri, Texas Tech, and Texas.

I don't think the Arkansas selection was as appalling as Stanford (19-12; RPI 67, SOS 35) or Texas Tech  (21-12; RPI 53; SOS 39)

Most of all Syracuse played a terrible OOC schedule, their best OOC games were against OK State and Drexel; and there were no true road games. It doesn't shock me because the committee did the exact same thing to FSU last year (9-7 in ACC).

All that being said a 10-6 team in the BE who won their opening game in the tourny and was knocked out in a close game to a good UL team should NOT be left out. It's too hard of a conference.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

As Bob Huggins said, how can you put Arkansas in??? Just because they made the conference tourny?? Well then Huggins said that it was just by the luck of the conference tourny brackets. If Ark would have been put in UF's side of the bracket then they would have lost sooner while Ole Miss would have the chance to make the conference tourny. Huggins stated that maybe Ole Miss should have got in if that was the case. He then stated that he beat those teams this season, so he has no idea on why they awarded Ark so much.  Anyway, Syracuse and Drexel should be in over either Xavier, Arkansas, or Stanford. To me, I believe the committee wanted to make the power conferences have about the same amount of bids this season with between 5 to 7 bids each. It was too hard to take a bid away from the ACC this season, so they basically took Syracuse's bid away and awarded it to the SEC or PAC 10.

Guest JulmisteForPrez
Mark my words, a Big East team will win the National Championship this year, I predict Pitt and Georgetown will both make the Final Four.

By the way, the Big East had the 2nd most teams in the dance, just behind the ACC and Big Ten with 7 a piece there

Pitt seems overrated to me.

Georgetown made them look like an NIT team.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Pitt beat GT at home and lost to them on the road.  Gray had a bad game for Pitt and that really hurt them so I wouldn't judge them on one game.

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

SU finished ahead of Marquette & Villanova in the BE, who are seeded 7 & 9 in the tourney while Cuse watches? I agree with Boeheim, this conference is too big.

You cannot tell me that SU is not in the top 34. They are the only ones to beat G'Town (should be a #1 seed) in over a month, beat Marquette and Providence on the road, split with Villanova, beat UConn 2 out of 3 in one season; lose nail-biters to Pitt, Louisville, Witchita St., Ok St, and ND.

Drexel went 0-4 vs. VCU and Old Dominion while finishing 4th in the CAA. Let me say that again - 4th in the CAA!!! Screw em, that's not going to get you a bid.

My list of don't deserve to be there ahead of Cuse:

1) Arkansas

2) Purdue

3) Old Dominion

4) Mich St.

5) Stanford

6) Texas Tech

7) Indiana

8) Illinois

Cuse got screwed.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

SU finished ahead of Marquette & Villanova in the BE, who are seeded 7 & 9 in the tourney while Cuse watches? I agree with Boeheim, this conference is too big.

You cannot tell me that SU is not in the top 34. They are the only ones to beat G'Town (should be a #1 seed) in over a month, beat Marquette and Providence on the road, split with Villanova, beat UConn 2 out of 3 in one season; lose nail-biters to Pitt, Louisville, Witchita St., Ok St, and ND.

Drexel went 0-4 vs. VCU and Old Dominion while finishing 4th in the CAA. Let me say that again - 4th in the CAA!!! Screw em, that's not going to get you a bid.

My list of don't deserve to be there ahead of Cuse:

1) Arkansas

2) Purdue

3) Old Dominion

4) Mich St.

5) Stanford

6) Texas Tech

7) Indiana

8) Illinois

Cuse got screwed.

So true  So true.  And so did the BE.

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Here is why Syracuse didn't get in, there was no representation by the Big East in the Selection Committee.  How does a super conference not have a rep at the Selection Site?  I'm not saying Tranghese has to be there, but not having one there only is a negative to the league as a whole.  I'm sure the SEC had one as Arkansas got in.  I'm sure the Big 10 had one for Illinois.  There has to be someone there to fight for Syracuse, because members with other conference affiliations will not fight for any of the Big East schools.

And thats why the Orange are playing in the NIT...........

Guest Rueben_Horowitz
Here is why Syracuse didn't get in, there was no representation by the Big East in the Selection Committee.  

And thats why the Orange are playing in the NIT...........

Yeah, I head that.

It just shows you that the committee is arriving at a decision based solely on a set of mathematical formulas; unless someone is there to argue your case. Makes me wonder if any of them even watched basketball this season.

According to the committee's logic, SU isn't dancing b/c UConn had a poor season. SU played UConn 3 times this season. When's the last time a team's conference schedule included UConn 3 times and was considered 'unbalanced' in a bad way???

SU & the BE really got screwed.

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

This isn't really that big of a deal, is it?