• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach McCullum to stay at USF!!!!!

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

If it wasn't about winning; we wouldn't keep score.

Is it sad that CRM will likely lose his job? Yes.

Maybe he'll be a HOF coach some day, but it's not going to happen at USF. Good people lose their job all the time...It's a fact of life.

We deserve a winning bb program at USF. Some people have been brainwashed into believing we don't; that mediocrity is all we can hope for. I say b.s., it's time for the university to wake up.

The community support is freakin horrendous b/c it's very obvious that USF never cared about winning.

I thank Leavitt for changing the course. He has given Bulls fans what they deserve...Now let's get the bb program out of the gutter.

Rueb ~ Pro USF BB, not anti-Mac

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Mac will be back.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I believe he'll be back.  It is about winning, and what is going to bring the most wins down the road.  If Doug Woolard thinks Mac is leading the program in the right direction, and thinks he WILL break through and get over the hump, he will bring him back rather than start another rebuilding process.  We shall see.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

Using only the win-loss record would be akin to taking the measure of a man based only on his height.

Take it up with Napoleon.  ;)

The win loss record makes the papers, the win loss record determines where you're seeded in tournaments, the win loss record determines TV time, the win loss record is what gets touted in recruiting visits and while it may not be the SOLE measure of a program, it is certainly the most highly visible. And as captain of that ship, the coach is responsible for providing favorable results in all of the above.  

Seldom do successful (and yes, I mean win and loss records) coaches get the boot. When they come up short, they get shown the door...

Mac might be back, but if we were playing with real money, I'd bet he's not what we'd phrase 'a long term solution'.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Let's put things in perspective here.  I'm not even asking for a winning team.  All I am simply asking for is a competitive team.  One that simply has a chance to win.  When we played those couple of games close a couple of weeks ago I  was OK with that.  What I am not ok with is getting blown out by an average of 16 points in the conference play.  

When people are saying they have seen improvement to warrant him coming back, what are you looking at?  Our average margin of defeat last year was 7 points.  

Our attendance is going backward, our margin of defeat is getting worse.  We seem to have benefitted from UC and Rutgers becoming aboslutely horrible teams (that says nothing about us improving).

I am still at a loss as to what improvement we are seeing.  Honestly, i can't believe i am saying that I am willing to settle for  improvement while still losin in the form of a more competitive team, but I'm not even seeing a more competitive team playing out there for a full 40 minutes.  20 minutes or maybe even 30 minutes, but not in a full game night after night.  Doesn't that bother you guys that are saying bring him back just because he is the current coach?  I don't get that at all.

My favorite quote of the year was during the UCONN game.  It was so absurd I remember it verbatim.  The announcer said "The Bulls are on an 8-0 run.  That closes the gap to 22" .  How do you guys call that acceptable and competitive?  That's ridiculous.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

Finally, I will say - why do so many people place such an importance on wins and losses?  Can anyone really provide an honest answer to that question?  If you consider the mission of interscholastic, amateur, college sports - why are wins the most important thing?

Div I Athletics is a business...and when your business (Athletic Team) doesn't perform, that usually means a loss of ticket sales, donations, etc...and most schools (AD's and President) make changes to their "business" (i.e. Coaches) to try and improve their incoming revenue.

Collegiate Athletics is a big-time business...that's why you have school after school trying to build the biggest/best facilities on earth...and spending $$$$$ like they were pennies.

If revenue (or expected revenue) is down...and a program has short-falls...then yes...W/L record probably comes into play.

Collegiate Athletics is almost like those that want to donate to Charities...as when the head of the Red Cross was "wasting" tons of $$$$$$ on himself and his friends...folks just STOPPED donating to the Red Cross...which hurt the Red Cross...so the Red Cross fired their top guy...earned their respect back...and now their donations are back up.

Just follow the $$$$...and that's where most AD's will make their decisions.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I'll say this:

I think the whole RMC situation has just become one big pissing match between two sides. At this point many want him to stay regardless of his record because they are (rightfully) sick of the same people after each loss coming on here asking for his head.

Then there are those who constantly bicker and complain about RMC and the job he's done without letting him through the year. Obviously at this point a great success is not going to happen, but why call for his head after the Pittsburgh game...or Uconn...etc; at least give him the season then evaluate the season as a WHOLE.

The question is (an please don't answer how impossible it is) if RMC wins 3 in a row can you still call for his firing? Thats 6-10 in conference, a considerable improvement that could not be ignored. Winning 6 in the Big East is very tough, especially when you consider the basketball powers that make up this program. People need to understand that USF is many many years from consistently competing because we do not have the money or the facilities to recruit unbelievably well in our own state, much less against BE teams.  

The other side has a question, if RMC loses out, is 3 wins enough of an improvement to risk keeping him around for another year?  As of yesterday we're 2-13 against the RPI top 150; with a relatively weak out of conference schedule (ranked 314 in the RPI) that we went 9-5 on.

There are several other questions in between if we win 1 more; wif we win 2, etc. I just went for what each side seems to want the most.

I just wish we could have a more civil discussion (on March 4th) in which we could discuss the options without a pissing match.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Joe, the retort will be that 6-10 means little because it is a "down year" for the Big East.  flsportsfan83 likes to use that one.  

I honestly don't think anyone (maybe one) has a personal interest in seeing RMc stay...There are several that have an interest in him leaving since they have smeared the guy for 1-2 years.  They have "skin in the game" - not the ones that have simply said "let the season play out."

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  538

Here me out on this. I really beleive that USF need to keep Coach McCULLUM for another year. He is building somthing at USF. It is going to take time, but it is going to be done the right way. Give the man a chance. GO BULLS!!!!

Facts?

Scoreboard?

Tourneys?

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  538

Finally, I will say - why do so many people place such an importance on wins and losses?  Can anyone really provide an honest answer to that question?  If you consider the mission of interscholastic, amateur, college sports - why are wins the most important thing?

Div I Athletics is a business...and when your business (Athletic Team) doesn't perform, that usually means a loss of ticket sales, donations, etc...and most schools (AD's and President) make changes to their "business" (i.e. Coaches) to try and improve their incoming revenue.

Collegiate Athletics is a big-time business...that's why you have school after school trying to build the biggest/best facilities on earth...and spending $$$$$ like they were pennies.

If revenue (or expected revenue) is down...and a program has short-falls...then yes...W/L record probably comes into play.

Collegiate Athletics is almost like those that want to donate to Charities...as when the head of the Red Cross was "wasting" tons of $$$$$$ on himself and his friends...folks just STOPPED donating to the Red Cross...which hurt the Red Cross...so the Red Cross fired their top guy...earned their respect back...and now their donations are back up.

Just follow the $$$$...and that's where most AD's will make their decisions.

Go home, man.  Talk about the Red Cross in the sandpit behind your trailer or erector set.  We're talking about USF sports here, we dont' need nor want your opinion. Bye.