• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Let's Go Orange Chant

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

Hate to break it to you JD -- but I grew up a Terps fan my entire life and you couldn't give tickets away to a MD basketball game in the mid-80's.

The went 4-24 on year.

USF basketball is in shambles.  If you continue to put a losing product on the floor -- nobody will show up

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Nobody but a few care about basketball at this university. I know, it's pretty sad, but it's true!

we're a football school now. just like FSU and Miami. get used to it.

hopefully one day we can afford to fund a bball program properly. until then don't expect much.

Not really, there are still a lot of USF basketball fans. Many have just been turned off over the last 5-6 years.

Get the right coach and system at USF and this could be a nice program which can grow and be ready to flourish with a little money added to mix.

This is not a complete reclamation project. There is some talent on the team next year and USF has solid facilities, and best of play in the nation's best basketball conference.

I doubt USf will ever be UNC or Duke anytime soon, but it can be a solid basketball school that can regularly make  the NCAAs & give its fans hope.

solid facalities? did you know the city of  Louisville is building a $400M arena for basketball?

occasionally make the tourny maybe. just like Miami and FSU.

we would need a lot of money added to the mix.

imagine if you and 15 neighbors all decided to build new houses. You all took bids and you settled on the lowest bid. would you expect your house to be better than any of you neighbors? especially a guy who is paying 5 times as much??

guess what. we have the lowest basketball budget in the BE. we get what we pay for regardless of who the coach is.

look at what our former coach is doing. was he a terrible coach  because he didn't get us into the NCAA's or past the first round of CUSA? not neccessarily. he just didn't have much to work with here.

Yes we have solid facilities that are going to get much better when USF finishes their planned renovations. USF has their own practice court right now but that too will get better based on the SunDome renovation project. Let's put it this way the Gators have the exact same arena and I don't see them looking to build a new building.

USF can hire a good young coach for under $800K. If he has success USF then needs to decide what to do, but in the interim a new coach can stablize the program. It surely can't get any worse.

Regarding Greenberg, Greenie has been quoted on his OWN website that the USF job helped him grow as a coach. Remember USF was his first "bigtime" job. Prior to USF Greenberg had only coached in small mid-major conferences so moving to the BigEast was a big step up. IMO, Greenberg is a better coach. Sure he has access to more resources at VPI, but a lot of the failures he experienced at USF were direct result of him not getting the most of his players on and off the court. That has NOTHING to do with money.

I laugh everytime they say that he had nothing to work with in CUSA b/c he had players such BB, 'Tron, Reggie, Cedric, Scott Johnson, etc...who are all sprinkled all over the CUSA record books. Other than Ced and Reggie none of those players significantly improved after their sophomore year.  

IMO, if you give CRM those players we would have likely been in the tournament a couple times, instead of the fat goose egg Greenie posted with all that talent. That is why I keep harping on recruiting in regards to CRM. If he could just get players into his system and keep them engaged I think USF would be at least competitive. Unforutnately, that has been his downfall.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Nobody but a few care about basketball at this university. I know, it's pretty sad, but it's true!

hopefully one day we can afford to fund a bball program properly. until then don't expect much.

Not really, there are still a lot of USF basketball fans. Many have just been turned off over the last 5-6 years.

Get the right coach and system at USF and this could be a nice program which can grow and be ready to flourish with a little money added to mix.

This is not a complete reclamation project. There is some talent on the team next year and USF has solid facilities, and best of play in the nation's best basketball conference.

I doubt USf will ever be UNC or Duke anytime soon, but it can be a solid basketball school that can regularly make  the NCAAs & give its fans hope.

solid facalities? did you know the city of  Louisville is building a $400M arena for basketball?

imagine if you and 15 neighbors all decided to build new houses. You all took bids and you settled on the lowest bid. would you expect your house to be better than any of you neighbors? especially a guy who is paying 5 times as much??

guess what. we have the lowest basketball budget in the BE. we get what we pay for regardless of who the coach is.

look at what our former coach is doing. was he a terrible coach  because he didn't get us into the NCAA's or past the first round of CUSA? not neccessarily. he just didn't have much to work with here.

Yes we have solid facilities that are going to get much better when USF finishes their planned renovations. USF has their own practice court right now but that too will get better based on the SunDome renovation project. Let's put it this way the Gators have the exact same arena and I don't see them looking to build a new building.

USF can hire a good young coach for under $800K. If he has success USF then needs to decide what to do, but in the interim a new coach can stablize the program. It surely can't get any worse.

Regarding Greenberg, Greenie has been quoted on his OWN website that the USF job helped him grow as a coach. Remember USF was his first "bigtime" job. Prior to USF Greenberg had only coached in small mid-major conferences so moving to the BigEast was a big step up. IMO, Greenberg is a better coach. Sure he has access to more resources at VPI, but a lot of the failures he experienced at USF were direct result of him not getting the most of his players on and off the court. That has NOTHING to do with money.

I laugh everytime they say that he had nothing to work with in CUSA b/c he had players such BB, 'Tron, Reggie, Cedric, Scott Johnson, etc...who are all sprinkled all over the CUSA record books. Other than Ced and Reggie none of those players significantly improved after their sophomore year.  

IMO, if you give CRM those players we would have likely been in the tournament a couple times, instead of the fat goose egg Greenie posted with all that talent. That is why I keep harping on recruiting in regards to CRM. If he could just get players into his system and keep them engaged I think USF would be at least competitive. Unforutnately, that has been his downfall.

no offense cyber but the Gators have no where near the same facilities we do. The O-dome may be similar but their practice facilities, dining halls, study rooms, lounge areas etc blow ours away.

I don't think our bball team even has their own workout facilities??

we can't afford to spend another $550k a year on a bbal coach right now. we are having a hard time paying assistant coaches, facility upgrades etc for the fball team. that is where we need to invest right now. besides bring ina guy for that kind of money and he will demand a higher recruiting budget, better facalities, more money for assistants etc.

I believe the guys Mac has brought in the time he has been here are  superior to the ones Greenie brought in the 7 years he was here. Mac has a guy in the NBA. we have been able to beat top 25 teams several times and we now play in a dominant conference where we can't pad the win totals against the bottom half of the conference like greenie did.

those guys Greenie brought in that you say were so great were middle of the road CUSA players. none made the NBA and none would hold records in the BE. I love the fact they played for USF and respect what they did while they were here but they couldn't compete in the BE either.

The fact of the matter is that money has everything to do with long term success. VTech made a committment to their hoops program. they have a well established football program so they can do that now. Mac had to ask for laptops so players could study on the road last year. do you think they have to do that at these major programs?? They recruit on private jets, have the best facilities and treat their players like royalty.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Actually Bull94, the BB team has their own work out facilities.  After the new facility was built for football the BB team got all the facilities at the Sun Dome.  I know its nothing great but any port in a storm.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

no offense cyber but the Gators have no where near the same facilities we do. The O-dome may be similar but their practice facilities, dining halls, study rooms, lounge areas etc blow ours away.

I don't think our bball team even has their own workout facilities??

we can't afford to spend another $550k a year on a bbal coach right now. we are having a hard time paying assistant coaches, facility upgrades etc for the fball team. that is where we need to invest right now. besides bring ina guy for that kind of money and he will demand a higher recruiting budget, better facalities, more money for assistants etc.

I believe the guys Mac has brought in the time he has been here are  superior to the ones Greenie brought in the 7 years he was here. Mac has a guy in the NBA. we have been able to beat top 25 teams several times and we now play in a dominant conference where we can't pad the win totals against the bottom half of the conference like greenie did.

those guys Greenie brought in that you say were so great were middle of the road CUSA players. none made the NBA and none would hold records in the BE. I love the fact they played for USF and respect what they did while they were here but they couldn't compete in the BE either.

The fact of the matter is that money has everything to do with long term success. VTech made a committment to their hoops program. they have a well established football program so they can do that now. Mac had to ask for laptops so players could study on the road last year. do you think they have to do that at these major programs?? They recruit on private jets, have the best facilities and treat their players like royalty.

How can BB and 'Tron be middle of the road CUSA players yet be all over the record books? They were very great basketball players that through their own indifference and lack of coaching didn't fully take advantage of their talents. Greenie is better recruiter, so there is no doubt that he would have taken advantage of the BigEast calling card if he would have remained at USF

Facilities: the renovations planned at USF will make the SunDome on par if not better than Florida's. Based on the information released by USF the renovated SunDome is going to be a place to be proud of for USF fans.

Regarding VPI treating their players like royalty......come on....we are not talking UNC or UCLA. It's Virginia Tech. I have no doubt that they have more resources, but USF doesn't exactly play in the TAAC. We receive a considerably more revenues than we did in CDOA. USF has chosen not to spend money.

Its all about choices. That is why I laugh at the Tinmen who said USF cant afford facilities.....USF can afford to go into debt just as much as UCF or VPI for that matter. I just think we have a very fiscally conservative administration that has obviously placed higher priority in becoming a Top50 Public REsearch Institution than being a Top Athletic PRogram. Hard to argue with that...

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

cyber,

Tron disappeared in big games, BB was a head case from the start. They may be in some record books but I think you'll find many more are held by guys from UofL, Cincy, Marquette, etc.

The much needed ongoing renovations will be great when they are finished but it's tough to tell a recruit to pick us over teams that have far superior facilities now. Not just arenas but practice facilities, work out facilities, dorms, dining halls, etc. UF spends $3M more on basketball per year then we do. We give Mac a car and a gas card while Donovan flies around ona private jet to recruit.

Our resources are greater now in the BE but so are our expenses. Remember this is only our 2nd year. Did you see what our payouts were after the bowl games? not very impressive. We would have been better off financially playing a 1-AA home game then we were getting a $300,000 payout for the PJBowl after all was said and done.

Yes I'm sure we could go into debt like some of the others but where will that get us in the long run. Fortunately those in charge know that football is the way to invest our money for the greatest return in the future. Once we feel that we have grown that program enough to start syphoning from it to fund other areas of our athletics, then I think you will see some great things. We definitely have the potential. Everybody just expects everything now. New softball stadium, new baseball field, new dining halls, new practice fields, etc.

VTech is at that point where football is self sustaining and they are now able to invest in other programs. I put football first and foremost. That is where USF will make ourselves known. If we start sucking money from the football program in order to invest in basketball right now then I think you should expect our football team to top out right where we are. We have a long way to go in football in order to compete with the big boys.

remember a new basketball coach that earns $500k more per year will expect more money for recruiting, assistant coaches, etc. etc.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

UF spends $3M more on basketball per year then we do. We give Mac a car and a gas card while Donovan flies around ona private jet to recruit.

remember a new basketball coach that earns $500k more per year will expect more money for recruiting, assistant coaches, etc. etc.

Well, #15 Southern Illinois is playing #12 Butler on ESPN right now.  I dont know what their head coaches are getting paid or what their traveling expenses are but Im sure its not more or much more than what Mac gets.  No one is really asking to pay some guy a million a year, i think a lot of us just think Mccullum is flat out just not qualified to field a competitive team in the big east, and so far he has proven that.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

Oh well.  How many times have the Orange beaten USF in football? :D