• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Running Game Key to USF Success in '07

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

I saw a stat that, going into the bowl game, USF was 7-1 in games where we rushed for 100+ yards. Add the bowl game and we were 8-1 when running for over 100 yards. Obviously that made us 1-3 when running for less than 100 yards. If the o-line continues to gel, and Mike Ford gets off to a fast start, watch out for these Bulls next year.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,592
  • Days Won:  29

I feel real good about our running game, especially with Ford and Gregory at OC.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

3 yards and a cloud of dust

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Running game is very important.  The most important thing, I believe, though is to make sure that the other team's offense spends less time on the field.

We need a good balance between the O and D.  Again, turnovers and penalties have to be avoided at all costs.

I am very happy with what I see developing for the Footbulls.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Days Won:  1

I agree and now with the RB's and Matt maybe the old wishbone will be used.  Really give Matt the flexability and keep the other team's "D" guessing.  Love that option & reverse!

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Running game is important, but I'm not a big fan of stats like that.  It's a chicken or egg thing.  When you have a lead, you run the ball more to eat up some clock.  When you are behind, you often abandon the run in an attempt to get big yardage quickly.  

I'm more concerned about our rushing per attempt and yards per game overall, and whether the opposing defense respects our ability to run the ball.  That what helps you win.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Well we got what has the potential to be a stud RB now we just need the offensive line to step up and give us the holes.  

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  563
  • Days Won:  0

I think its more about RUNNINGBACK production for nx yr.Yea last yr we may have rushed for 100 yards but that was mostly Grothe.

RUNNINGBACK production will be the key to having a GREAT season nx yr!!!

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I saw a stat that, going into the bowl game, USF was 7-1 in games where we rushed for 100+ yards. Add the bowl game and we were 8-1 when running for over 100 yards. Obviously that made us 1-3 when running for less than 100 yards. If the o-line continues to gel, and Mike Ford gets off to a fast start, watch out for these Bulls next year.

That 100 yard barometer is used for most teams.  You always see NFL guys use that 100 yard mark as the minimum goal.  If you do a study on a team that rushes for 100 versus a team that doesn't, you would probably find that the rushing team would win 5 out of every 6 games.  I'd like to think our D will be the key to '07.  We'll need to find suitable replacements for the two LB spots in order to be successful, especially in the big games (Auburn, Rutgers, WVU, and Louisville).