• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FIU stadium

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  1,812
  • Days Won:  0

Joe

I would agree about campus interaction based on being affiliated with school, but the small schools you mentioned are in smaller towns and not commuter schools per Se. The thing with USF is most Alumni live close by and can go to campus anytime like me. If I went to ECU and made a trip up there for football I would want to see campus.

Most things on campus are closed because there are no classes. They can not have class and football at same time no room to park.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Understood with your 1st point.

As for the opening of the building, I know there woudn't be classes, but you can open buildings for people to visit, etc. I visited most of the buildings on campus at ND that way. And from being dragged around by my parents when I was a kid, I know UF does a similar thing.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  1,812

Understood with your 1st point.

As for the opening of the building, I know there woudn't be classes, but you can open buildings for people to visit, etc. I visited most of the buildings on campus at ND that way. And from being dragged around by my parents when I was a kid, I know UF does a similar thing.

I do know what you mean I love going to Army and Navy games for that reason. I am doing some work on the Pitt campus now, the campus is part of the city or Oakland section of Pittsburgh, anyways I have gone into every building on campus some more than once. They are for the most part historical buildings.

I do see where an OCS would help to attract new students or football fans who have never gone to the college or any college ( a larger number of fans than most realize) for the sake of just seeing the campus and enjoying the atmosphere.

For the record-  I have no desire to ever go back to the Business building or bunker. If you ever had classes there you know what I mean

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,733
  • Days Won:  425

People keep trying to compare us to older, established, traditional schools with football (hell, even UCFers have been able to go to football games for almost 30 years) and that is just an error in judgment. The majority of USF alumni have shown no inclination to go back to campus OR go to football games, at this time, so why would you think putting a football game on campus would make this any different? Bottom line is, we are really in a unique situation and trying to compare it  to other situations is useless. Wooly did a great job of breaking that down.

And Shoop. the only reason our board simp, K_L, is pushing this so hard is that he desperately wants us to think that we are missing out on this marvelous experience that they will supposedly have over us now. The examples he keeps throwing out are ones that are vastly different than the situation at USF. An OCS will be great when the time comes but to think that it would have the effect spelled out on this thread NOW is just plain wrong. Heck, all the restaurants they have popping up over there are more attractive than the OCS.

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

UNC's campus was awesome.  I'd love to have a walk like that to our stadium on game day.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

...No we wont be as good as USF, but we will be competitive in our conference.

Any post from a UCFer should have this as their tagline...regardless of the subject!  8-)

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080

I do not go back on campus very often, I also have not been to my High School campus since I left. I do have to disagree with this argument for the following reasons:

There is a major difference between high school and college. But this is my point there are several thousands of alumni that have not stepped onto campus since they left. You give them a reason to step back on and they are bound to visit areas they lived, had classes, etc.

The games will be at 7pm Saturday Night or maybe 12 on Saturday, either way most everything on campus is closed at those times. People would be "on Campus" just for the sake of going to game. The concrete parking lot that USF would have would feel and be no different than the dirt at Ray Jay. I am pretty sure you have been to games at UF or FSU, the fans just come go to the game and leave. They do not go to library or Alumni Hall. Every time I have been to Gator game the people I went with tried to stay parked off campus so they can get out easier and drink in the Bars off campus.

The reaason why USF is closed on Saturday/Sunday is the fact that there is nothing to be open for. I have been to several Gator games in my days (my parents are both alumni and we went frequently until I was 16 and had to work). I have also been to several other on campus stadiums from great venues (ND Stadium, the Big House) to smaller schools (ECU, Miami (OH))

Those campuses open themselves up on gamedays and while you might have not expirenced it several people do take in the campus while there. They know this is the time where alumni can revisit old areas, check out new buildings or improvements, or even comingle (many of the buildings on campuses are used to house all sorts of reunions, which tend to take place during football season)

I can assure you that to this day most big time schools fans don't just park and run unless it's a late night game. Usually then those that are taking off because they have to drive 2 hours back home.

I am also not saying there won't be people that drive in and leave right away, cause you'll always have those folks. However, when it comes to reconnecting alumni with USF it would help alot. Please don't think that I believe that an OCS should be built right now, I understand the reasoning. I also know that building it will not immediately reconnect the alumni, however, I do believe that it will be a catalyst.

The campus is not that pretty, I find it kind of ugly but that's my opinion. I tried to take a lot of classes at St Pete campus as it is fantastic. I have been to games at Rutgers, people drive on to campus head to parking lot after game they wait in line and leave. No interaction with campus. Army is different anyone who has been to game there will know what I am talking about plus you have to park 10 miles away so you must go thru campus. USF does not come close to West Point.

I don't think it's terrible but it needs work, hopely those connected to campus will instill pride to help make USF one of the nicest universities astetichally.

You just have love the look of the HMS building as you drive by it on Maple.  I guess the  various ROTC Banners hanging on the balconies could be considered esthetically pleasing if you are going for the tacky commercial Fowler Avenue look.

UNC's campus was awesome.  I'd love to have a walk like that to our stadium on game day.

Well, UNC's campus has been around a tad longer than USF's.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,733
  • Days Won:  425

Well, UNC's campus has been around a tad longer than USF's.

Plus the vast difference in the topography of our campuses...

USF's campus isn't too bad considering the fact that it rose from what was little more than government wasteland.

1950's and 60's government architecture wouldn't win many awards for style and beauty.