• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The "WE" question

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I've been having a debate with someone about the use of the word "we" when refering to a team.

'We' are all USF Bulls. Some play football, bb etc. Others are students, alumni, and/or support the university. Without eachother, 'we' wouldn't exist. It's not even a debate.

Rueben

You hit the nail on the head Reuben.  WTG

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  339
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

I've been having a debate with someone about the use of the word "we" when refering to a team.

He argues that fans cannot say, "WE won our first bowl game", because WE the fans did not play. All we did was pay and watch. He also says that fans say "we" so that they can feel included and important.

I argue that when a team wins, it is for the University, and that we are all part of the University, therefore WE won the game. We are the 12th man. Yes the team won it on the field, but the University won.

I wanted to see what other people thought about it.

Let me guess.  The person you are having this debate with has no affiliation to a program?

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

I always laugh because its "we" when we win and "they" when they lose. It is never "we" no matter how hard we cheer.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

I always laugh because its "we" when [highlight]we[/highlight] win and "they" when they lose. It is never "we" no matter how hard we cheer.

see, you even used "we" when saying it's not "we"

it is "we" as a university.  players represent a school.  i'd say the same for any university competition.

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

He argues that fans cannot say, "WE won our first bowl game", because WE the fans did not play. All we did was pay and watch. He also says that fans say "we" so that they can feel included and important.

I argue that when a team wins, it is for the University, and that we are all part of the University, therefore WE won the game. We are the 12th man. Yes the team won it on the field, but the University won.

I wanted to see what other people thought about it.

Let me guess.  The person you are having this debate with has no affiliation to a program?

Actually he goes to FSU (God help his soul). I think it's because of two reason for this guy. 1) FSU was less than great this season. 2) Jealous that UF won a national title.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Try another approach with your friend.  If a player is on the team but doesn't play in the game can he say "we" won ?  That can be another long and stupid argument.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

I always laugh because its "we" when we win and "they" when they lose. It is never "we" no matter how hard we cheer.

IMO, "we" should only be used by team members and the coaching staff.  As a former athlete, "we" as fans do not win nor lose.  That is a previlige all to the players.  They win and they lose.  I never say "we" when referring to the team.  "We" are all Bulls but as fans "we" are not part of the team nor do "we" invest any training into winning the game.  It takes no talent to buy a ticket, sit on our fat arses and criticize every move of the players and decision of the coaches.  No matter how correct we may be.  "We" did not win the PPJ.com Bowl.  The USF Football team did.  Nor did "we" lose to the UL MBB team.  The USF MBB did.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118

"we" equal anyone that supports the team. that's just my opinion.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

god damnit, i'll say WE if i want to!!

(my buddy always asks me, "whats your number?")

WE is correct. WE are a part of USF, in as much as the team is a part of USF.

What's my number?

(In my best Alec Baldwin from Glengarry Glenn Ross).

My number is the brick with my name on it in fron to the Alumni Center.

My nubers is (rattle of season ticket account number).

My number is my lifemember Alumni Assoc membership.

My number is 234 X 10-13 (season ticket seats in RayJ).

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

I don't mind the "we" stuff. I do it myself alot but my pet peeve is when, on message boards, other fans come over to congratulate "us" on a victory like we actually played ..... and even worse is when we we thank them for the compliment.   ::)