• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt could learn from Urban Meyer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

Maybe some aspects in coaching, but more in aspects of politics and dealing with the sports media.  For instance:

When the national sports media and pollsters disrespected UF, Meyer came out fighting and defended his team and players.  His politicking is one of the reasons they played in the BCS NC game.

When the local sports media started printing articles about USF players getting into trouble, Leavitt shut the media out from his assistant coaches and players.  Leavitt defended his squad, but his media blackout weakened the already lukewarm support of the local media.

When the media questioned the abilities of the UF quarterbacks - namely Leak - Meyer staunchly defended and promoted the good aspects of his players.

When the local media anointed Grothe as a future Heisman candidate and the savior of USF football, Leavitt rarely praised his quarterback in public because he "wanted to keep him humble".

Leavitt needs to learn some of Meyer's political prowess.  The "awe shucks hometown boy does good" shtick is getting old, and there will come a day when USF will need its coach to defend and/or promote them in the media.  How many times can the coach drag out tired routine that USF is lucky to beat the local 10 to 13 year old pee wee football team and how the quarterback is not worthy to clean the manure off the hooves off the cows of the local dairy farm?

Overconfidence is one thing, but sometimes the arrogance and confidence of a cocky self assured coach can influence the team and give them confidence as well.  Self deprecation worked great for Rodney Dangerfield, but it does not always work in sports.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Maybe some aspects in coaching, but more in aspects of politics and dealing with the sports media.  For instance:

When the national sports media and pollsters disrespected UF, Meyer came out fighting and defended his team and players.  His politicking is one of the reasons they played in the BCS NC game.

When the local sports media started printing articles about USF players getting into trouble, Leavitt shut the media out from his assistant coaches and players.  Leavitt defended his squad, but his media blackout weakened the already lukewarm support of the local media.

When the media questioned the abilities of the UF quarterbacks - namely Leak - Meyer staunchly defended and promoted the good aspects of his players.

When the local media anointed Grothe as a future Heisman candidate and the savior of USF football, Leavitt rarely praised his quarterback in public because he "wanted to keep him humble".

Leavitt needs to learn some of Meyer's political prowess.  The "awe shucks hometown boy does good" shtick is getting old, and there will come a day when USF will need its coach to defend and/or promote them in the media.  How many times can the coach drag out tired routine that USF is lucky to beat the local 10 to 13 year old pee wee football team and how the quarterback is not worthy to clean the manure off the hooves off the cows of the local dairy farm?

Overconfidence is one thing, but sometimes the arrogance and confidence of a cocky self assured coach can influence the team and give them confidence as well.  Self deprecation worked great for Rodney Dangerfield, but it does not always work in sports.

Funny.  I think Urban Meyer is arrogant and whiny.  

The "aw shucks" routine seems to have worked pretty well for Steve Spurrier.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Funny.  I think Urban Meyer is arrogant and whiny.  

The "aw shucks" routine seems to have worked pretty well for Steve Spurrier.

Last time i checked many considered him a whiny baby after the FSU loss where there were some questionable late hits. Spurrier also wasnt all shucks about him running up the score on the cupcakes or anyone they could when he was there.  IF anything he was a polarizing figure there who was cocky arrogant and out spoken.  Please try again.  

Guest r_to_the_izzo

What can he learn from Urban? How to cherry pick his way from one team to another? Using the prior coaches recruiting efforts at each new school and then moving on when his classes arent quite up to par? Sounds like a locust to me.

What can he learn from Urban? How to cherry pick his way from one team to another? Using the prior coaches recruiting efforts at each new school and then moving on when his classes arent quite up to par? Sounds like a locust to me.

I agree CJL has Meyer when it comes to loyalty and actually staying with a program.  CJL's Loyalry is something that is often lost at most football coaches now a days and is something special that we have.  I love the fact that our coach loves this school and wants to make it great as much as the players and us students, alumi, and fans do!  But if theres one thing i wish CJL would do is have a little more personality and be a little more out spoken about the special thing we have going on here.  We need all the pub we can get it will only help to gain recruits and fans.  

EDIT: what he can learn from meyer is how to be an excellent game planner you cant look at me seriously and tell me that he didnt exectue a perfect game plan monday in drubbing OSU.  

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

Leavitt is smart, he did everything right this year...

when the media(including the oracle) was attacking him and his players before the season, he let USF FOOTBALL shut them the hell up on the field.

Leavitt doesn't care about the media, or what they think of him, the thing that is amazing about leavitt is all he cares about is the next opponent, and he spends hours every week studying that opponent and making his players understand the challenge of beating that opponent.  Leavitt is the reason we beat louisville last year and WVU this year, he makes our players unite as one TEAM and makes them believe in theirselves.

if you ask me, meyer could learn from leavitt...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

so far CJL is 1-0 against Meyer.

I fail to see the need to do anything about that other than take care of business when we play the Gators and if UM is still there for that matter.

I'll say this much-- Urban Meyer may have jumped to great situation after great situation-- but he also recruits well to boot, can coach like a mofo, and delivers results. His last recruiting class was top ranked--- how is that not doing the job?

anyway-- CJL can learn some stuff perhaps and maybe Coach Meyer and he have a relationship like that -- who knows.

Leavitt is smart, he did everything right this year...

when the media(including the oracle) was attacking him and his players before the season, he let USF FOOTBALL shut them the hell up on the field.

Leavitt doesn't care about the media, or what they think of him, the thing that is amazing about leavitt is all he cares about is the next opponent, and he spends hours every week studying that opponent and making his players understand the challenge of beating that opponent.  Leavitt is the reason we beat louisville last year and WVU this year, he makes our players unite as one TEAM and makes them believe in theirselves.

if you ask me, meyer could learn from leavitt...

um actually Meyer's game plan was perfect for OSU on both sides of the ball and his team wasnt given a chance in hell from almost any media outlets and all the experts.  You want to see a team that united under the odds of not being given credit by anyone please see Myers team who most major outlets/experts said was FAR less talented than the UM team that got exposed against USC.  You can hate the gators and their fans all you want but if you watched that game monday night both you and I know that Meyer had a perfect game plan for both sides of the ball.  Also if you watched that Utah Pitt game from a couple years back it was the same thing he had a pefect game plan that created mismatches and led his underdog team to a blow out win.  As long as he doesnt get a big head and try to go the the NFL i think he could be a great college coach.  

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Utah was not an underdog against that hapless Pitt team. I believe they were favored and Pitt was deemed the most worthy of unworthy Big East teams. Urban Meyer can suck my balls. Leavitt isn't the best coach in the world... he has plenty of flaws that are easy to point out... but he loves USF like some of us on here... and that's all that matters. When you love something that much... you make positive things happen.