• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Short bench once again.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

McCullum had two unused scholarships entering the year. At the time late in the process when Collin Dennis decided he was leaving, McCullum said he didn't feel it was a wise use of a scholarship to add someone at that point -- remember that it's a four- or five-year commitment to a player who has been largely unclaimed by lots of programs at lower levels than USF. So he puts Capko on scholarship, and he has a scholarship available to give to Holmes, who is more highly touted than anyone McCullum would have gotten in late summer as the last member of this year's class. I suppose a lot of people would say McCullum shouldn't be thinking long-term in his decisions, and depth continues to be a major issue, but this is how McCullum would explain his decisions regarding the roster.

Thanks Greg, for all those haters of CRM, if he indeed is in his last year people will thank him down the road because of his long-term decisions.  It sucks now, but if it's CRM next year or another coach the positive is last year he didn't saddle us with a bunch of chumps that were not BE worthy and his selectiveness left us room to sign Aaron Holmes.  Next year having a nucleus of Holmes, Verdejo, Bozeman, Curry, Howard, Jones, Saaka, Gransberry, and Williams will at least give either CRM or a new coach something to work with including extra scholarships to try and add the quality, and depth needed.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Excellent point Bien.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

McCullum had two unused scholarships entering the year. At the time late in the process when Collin Dennis decided he was leaving, McCullum said he didn't feel it was a wise use of a scholarship to add someone at that point -- remember that it's a four- or five-year commitment to a player who has been largely unclaimed by lots of programs at lower levels than USF. So he puts Capko on scholarship, and he has a scholarship available to give to Holmes, who is more highly touted than anyone McCullum would have gotten in late summer as the last member of this year's class. I suppose a lot of people would say McCullum shouldn't be thinking long-term in his decisions, and depth continues to be a major issue, but this is how McCullum would explain his decisions regarding the roster.

Thanks Greg, for all those haters of CRM, if he indeed is in his last year people will thank him down the road because of his long-term decisions.  It sucks now, but if it's CRM next year or another coach the positive is last year he didn't saddle us with a bunch of chumps that were not BE worthy and his selectiveness left us room to sign Aaron Holmes.  Next year having a nucleus of Holmes, Verdejo, Bozeman, Curry, Howard, Jones, Saaka, Gransberry, and Williams will at least give either CRM or a new coach something to work with including extra scholarships to try and add the quality, and depth needed.

Oh come on....

Stop being so over-dramatic.

Nobody hates CRM. In fact it would have been a nice story if he succeeded at USF, but for whatever the reason he has four years of misery. You can see it on his face today. I feel bad for the guy b/c he has nothing but bad luck. He has also made some bad decisions. That is what I am holding him accountable on....not whether or not I hate the guy. Other than him sitting in front of me and USFFan at the Alabama game I never met the guy to have any real feelings of hate.

Listen.....I doubt CRM entered the season, hoping to "save" to scholarships for the future. What happened was that he struck out on the recruiting trail last year and was forced to eat the scholarships. Sure he probably did the smart thing in not wasting the scholarships, but based on our depth problems during his first THREE years he needed to make sure that he wouldn't be caught shorthanded yet again.

Bottom Line: you can't build a program around transfers, at some point you have to build the program so its a program kids want to attend and you have to win some recruiting battles.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

have to definitely agree with you. the new coach will definitely have a lot

to work with next year

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  538

You missed that Capko scholarship this year in your analysis, great long-term move there, too.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

You missed that Capko scholarship this year in your analysis, great long-term move there, too.

He's a senior.  Hence it will be free for future classes.  Did you not get that or am I missing your point, or is it a shot at Capko?  I think Greg described it quite well.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  538

He's a senior.  Hence it will be free for future classes.  Did you not get that or am I missing your point, or is it a shot at Capko?  I think Greg described it quite well.

I got it, thanks, but I was saying that another JUCO guy for 2 years was a better option than giving Capko a one year schollie.  I'd guess Capko would have stayed/played without the schollie, thus our depth would have been better this year and next, when it's so critical with Cann and Howard's known injury problems.  ( i do agree with keeping one bullet in the gun free, though, so when a Holmes kind of kid bites on our Statue of Liberty recruting technique, we can land him.)  No shot on Capko, I admire his guts, but he is what he is.  As for any sense of altruism, see Benjamin Williams, who's still not on schollie, as best I know.  

It's a cold world out there in reality, I"m the first to admit it.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Capko deserved the schollie.  Criticizing CRM for giving Chris a schollie is wrong.  Chris could of quit after breaking his nose last season and where would that of left USF.  Prolly winless in BE play.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,492
  • Days Won:  13

Capko deserved the schollie.  Criticizing CRM for giving Chris a schollie is wrong.  Chris could of quit after breaking his nose last season and where would that of left USF.  Prolly winless in BE play.

i doubt capko was the reason we beat georgetown.