• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tickets Sold, 4,400

Guest JulmisteForPrez

If I'm not mistaken, the Chick-Fil-A bowl is really just the ol' Peach Bowl renamed, correct?

I would prefer they stuck with the old non-sellout names, but you know how that goes..... ::)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080
  • Days Won:  0

If I'm not mistaken, the Chick-Fil-A bowl is really just the ol' Peach Bowl renamed, correct?

I would prefer they stuck with the old non-sellout names, but you know how that goes..... ::)

Those days are gone forever :(

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Well the Chic-Fila Bowl has been around for almost 40 years now as the peach bowl.

The situation might have been similar to the Citrus Bowl, where the contract was through the state's peach growers and did not allow for the name to carry over for so many years after they ended their sponsorship/.

That is why the "Florida Citrus Bowl" couldn't become the "Citrus Bowl" and took the name Captial One Bowl.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080

The game was originally created as a fund-raiser by the Lions Clubs of Georgia but in 1986, after years of lackluster attendance and revenue, the game was taken over by the Chamber of Commerce. Fast-food restaurant chain Chick-fil-A became the title sponsor of the event with the 1998 game. Beginning with the December 2006 game, Chick-fil-A assumed complete naming rights to the game in a five year, $22 million, sponsorship deal, ending almost forty years of the Peach Bowl name. A new logo was unveiled April 6, 2006.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

IF WE MUST PURCHASE 10,000 TICKETS, why did the students only get 500? I'm not advocating total sponsorship by the school. I'm just curious as to where the remainder of the tickets go.

I know, at a point, they are donated to the local charity, but why not make more of them available?

After all, we're talking butts in seats! .

Well, in this case, ON COLD ASS BLEACHERS.

GO BULLS!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

to me the bottom line is simply this-- people have got to WANT TO GO. Not be coaxed-- want it, need it, have to have it. We need to whip up a fever for this program and that is not a month of advertising before the bowl game-- it's a 24x7 job and a commitment from all the die hards already on board to push USF all the time.

Yes, you are correct, people have to want to go. However, this is a business and people don't neccessarily need to be coaxed they need to be shown that they need to go. That's marketing. I don't need a whopper, but if burger king tells me enough times that I do then my subconscious tells me that I need a whopper. That's marketing. Marketing for this game is not a class act. A couple of websites, some radio spots and then nothing. No TV, no mailing, nothing. Yes, I agree with you that there needs to be more fans that just want to be involved but there also needs to be a better marketing strategy which helps fans understand why they want to be involved.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Well said cophbulls!  Well said.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Does anyone know if they are making one final marketing push to get these tickets sold.  Is someone marketing to season ticket holders to strongly encourage each holder to purchase one, 1, uno, ticket for the good of the university.  Is someone burning up the phone lines, fax machines, email, snail mail, etc to each season ticket holder, various alumni, faculty, staff,  students, interested bystanders, business partners, whoever to please purchase ONE ticket to this game whether it is given to charity or used.  Please, someone tell me this is happening.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

Got a call from my wife's nephew...he works for a company in Birmingham. They were giving away all of their corporate sponsored tickets to employees.  He asked if we wanted any..called back within 30 minutes and said they were all gone.  Hopefully, there will be a decent crowd.

A USF employee I know said today that he spoke with his very young nephew in that area.  The nephew said that he thought the game would have empty seats.  Apparently, he has never seen that before since he is an Alabama fan and his local high school, Hoover, also sells out....my friend he has never been to a game that wasn't sold out.  I replied, "I guess he's not familiar with UAB."  Outside of UAB....Alabama is serious about football.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  46

Would not have been difficult to have an "automated dialer" call all season ticket holders with a "special message" from CJL.  There is obviously no thought given to basic marketing tactics.  There are no "Do Not Call" rules for folks who do business with you so it could have been done.  They need an experienced marketeer to help promote this team.