• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rich Rodriguez agrees to contract with Bama

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334
  • Days Won:  0

I would not take the 'bama job. It's a bad move.

Are you kidding?  Mike Freakin' Shula won 11 games with an SEC schedule while having limited scholarships.  Imagine what a real coach could do.  

Oh yeah, and Alabama probably doubles his salary.   ;)

Not to humiliate you too badly or anything, but you just proved his point.  Mike Freakin' Schula won 11 games with an (overrated) SEC schedule while having limited scholarships.  Mike Schula got FIRED for that.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,416
  • Days Won:  43

Bama is notorious at jumping the gun. I remember there were reports that Leavitt was going to accept their coaching job years ago. I wont believe anything until I see it is all that I am saying because it is coming from the Bama camp.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

I wouldnt expect to snag any recruits...chances are those kids will jump at a chance to go to 'bama and play in the SEC.

I still think Rodriguez stays at WVU and simply uses this as a big bargining chip.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I dunno, WVU finally committed to facility upgrades, they are offering millions of dollars, yet Rodriguez is still talking to Bama.

WVU is a very good job. However consistency has never been a term to describe the program. Further, it wasn't the BCS Bowl win, 2 potential Heisman candidates, attendance records, or the revenue records that got WVU to offer to pay Rodriguez what he's worth, it took Alabama, and at that an offer (not just talks) to get WVU off their ass to pay for facilities he needs, and the raise he deserves (the guy got a raise to just ONE MILLION this summer)

I would imagine Rodriguez would feel a lil slighted.

The potential to be great is at WVU, but not as much as it is at Bama. You're talking a program that until the mid 90s was considered one of the greatest programs ever (they won multiple national titles before Bear Bryant).

ND sucked for a few years, now they are back.

USC sucked for a few years, now they are back.

Texas sucked for a few years, now they are back.

Oklahoma sucked for a few years, now they are back.

I think Bama, naturally falls into that line (although it would take a lot more because the saturation of recruiting area). Rodriguez no matter where he goes (bama or WVU) is a stud coach who given all the right tools will have either team in a national title game in the foreseeable future.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I would not take the 'bama job. It's a bad move.

Are you kidding?  Mike Freakin' Shula won 11 games with an SEC schedule while having limited scholarships.  Imagine what a real coach could do.  

Oh yeah, and Alabama probably doubles his salary.   ;)

Not to humiliate you too badly or anything, but you just proved his point.  Mike Freakin' Schula won 11 games with an (overrated) SEC schedule while having limited scholarships.  Mike Schula got FIRED for that.

So, let's see.  

The worst thing that could happen is Rich Rodriguez gets $4mil a year after a $5-7mil signing bonus (conservatively).  He gets fired after four years and $20+mil.  He then gets a job at WVU or a similiar school for $1-2mil per year.

The best thing that could happen is that RR wins one or more national titles and becomes a coaching legend.  And makes boatloads of money the rest of is career.  Alabama obviously has the money and history to make that happen.

If he stays at WV, he maybe makes making $8mil during the next few years.  If things break right, he might win a NC.  Maybe, just maybe, he's making $5mil a year 5 years from now, but probably not.  West Virginia isn't anywhere near the football hotbed that Alabama is.

Can you explain why anyone would take at least $10million dollars less to stay at a school where there is less opportunity to win championships and reach the pinnacle of their profession?  This may be RR's only shot at a school with this kind of opportunity.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

Can you explain why anyone would take at least $10million dollars less to stay at a school where there is less opportunity to win championships and reach the pinnacle of their profession?  This may be RR's only shot at a school with this kind of opportunity.

I think he had a better chance to win championships at WVU.  He was in contention this year with the offensive studs returning next year.  However, it looks like it's official so good news from my prospective.  I think the big east has earned enough respect and I hope that USF fills in the void of respect by finishing this season close to ranked and with a 9-4 record, springing them into next year.

I'm glad the other big east teams are losing their coaches and hopefully getting worse.  That'll make it easier for us.  I didnt mind that Schiano stayed at Rutgers so much because I want other Florida schools to suffer too, and Miami is hopefully taking a nice hit this year.  Next up is Petrino and Schiano to some other school next year or so, heh.

Anyway, good news to me.  I'm curious how the spread will work at Alabama with different talent, and I'm hopeful that WVU struggles next year as they seem to be returning most of their offense and would have been better than this year perhaps.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  86

I'm a Clearwater Central Catholic fan, but gosh darn it.. I hope USF goes back and tries to recruit Jock Sanders from St. Pete Catholic if Coach Rod goes to Bama.  Andrew Harris is a very good reciever. But if I see #9 from SPC in USF gold and green next year, I would be estatic.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I think he had a better chance to win championships at WVU.  He was in contention this year with the offensive studs returning next year.  However, it looks like it's official so good news from my prospective.  I think the big east has earned enough respect and I hope that USF fills in the void of respect by finishing this season close to ranked and with a 9-4 record, springing them into next year.

I'm glad the other big east teams are losing their coaches and hopefully getting worse.  That'll make it easier for us.  I didnt mind that Schiano stayed at Rutgers so much because I want other Florida schools to suffer too, and Miami is hopefully taking a nice hit this year.  Next up is Petrino and Schiano to some other school next year or so, heh.

Anyway, good news to me.  I'm curious how the spread will work at Alabama with different talent, and I'm hopeful that WVU struggles next year as they seem to be returning most of their offense and would have been better than this year perhaps.

I think Bamma would be about what they are this year or worse as they wont have the right talent in place to run the spread.   I like this alot for us as we have a coach that is committed to our program for the long haul, very good facilities, and enought young talent to be successful in the future to make us a very attractive option for recruits considering other BE teams and of course our instate competitors.