• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

6 More Years

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I know we are all proud of how fast we have come along.  However, I on Sunday's BCS show it was stated that Boise State reached a BCS bowl after only 11 years in 1-A.  They did that with no BCS conference, high recruiting rankings or any other benefit we get from being in the Big East.  Can we beat that?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,664
  • Days Won:  29

Yes we WILL !

And here's hoping they beat Oklahoma  8-)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  167

I would bet they would trade this one BCS bowl game for inclusion in a BCS conference

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,212
  • Days Won:  0

Well for starters, they've been playing football for 36 years, they are in the mighty WAC, and the only ranked team they beat was Oregon State (ranked 22 in BCS).   That they are unbeaten is the reason they are in the BCS game.  We should be able to beat that even with the higher level of competition we face.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

I would bet they would trade this one BCS bowl game for inclusion in a BCS conference

First, remember we're well on the way since we've only been 1-A for about 5 full seasons, so we're six years behind them and I believe if things continue to improve at this frantic pace then we'll surpass.

Take nothing away from their accomplishments but I am not a proponent of giving teams a mulligan for easy scheduling to the extreme.  It is not Boise's fault, but as much as someone from the SEC could argue that LSU deserved the 2nd BCS slot over WVU, or Texas the same argument could be served up about how Boise State hardly deserves the slot over WVU, or ARK, or Texas because they played a fraction of the quality opponents those schools played.

We can crack on our schedule, but  they're in the WAC.  They went undefeated and that's impressive, but they're playing San Jose St., Nevada, Utah State, LTU, Fresno State.

To put simply UCF would have gone 8-4 in that conference.  It's the truth, and I have far more respect for the MWC with BYU, Utah, and TCU- those three are as qualified BCS type schools as there is any out there.

Boise State made it in after 11 years but they also didn't have the rigors of being in the Big East.  Think of it this way replace Rutgers with Nevada, replace WVU with San Jose State, replace UL with Hawaii, replace Pitt with Fresno State, Cinci with Idaho, Uconn with NMSU, and Cuse with Ltech....

then for the OOC.,...

replace McNeese with Sacramento State

replace UCF with Wyoming

replace UNC with Utah

replace Oregon State with Kansas.

Looking at it from that perspective you've got to guess if USF was BSU with our team and that schedule I see us at a minimum of 11-1.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I do not disagree about the schedule, but the world sees only that they made it there.  If they lose badly then the scheduling stuff comes up.  

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

It's hard for any team to go 12-0, no matter what conference they're in. While this isn't the Utah 2004 team (who could have beaten a lot of good teams) this team will still give a solid shot at Oklahoma.

Boise State smacked around a bowl eligble Pac 10 team that beat USC, they beat a decent Hawaii team, and have a great RB in Ian Johnson.

If this is a national title game discussion, NO! No way, no how, etc. But, we're talking about a regualr BCS game, they've earned their shot.

Just to note, this is a Boise State team that played a GREAT game against UL in the 2005 Liberty Bowl. So I am not so sure they couldn't be a player in the Big East. Would they go undefeated, probably not.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  167

First, remember we're well on the way since we've only been 1-A for about 5 full seasons, so we're six years behind them and I believe if things continue to improve at this frantic pace then we'll surpass.

Take nothing away from their accomplishments but I am not a proponent of giving teams a mulligan for easy scheduling to the extreme.  It is not Boise's fault, but as much as someone from the SEC could argue that LSU deserved the 2nd BCS slot over WVU, or Texas the same argument could be served up about how Boise State hardly deserves the slot over WVU, or ARK, or Texas because they played a fraction of the quality opponents those schools played.

We can crack on our schedule, but  they're in the WAC.  They went undefeated and that's impressive, but they're playing San Jose St., Nevada, Utah State, LTU, Fresno State.

To put simply UCF would have gone 8-4 in that conference.  It's the truth, and I have far more respect for the MWC with BYU, Utah, and TCU- those three are as qualified BCS type schools as there is any out there.

Boise State made it in after 11 years but they also didn't have the rigors of being in the Big East.  Think of it this way replace Rutgers with Nevada, replace WVU with San Jose State, replace UL with Hawaii, replace Pitt with Fresno State, Cinci with Idaho, Uconn with NMSU, and Cuse with Ltech....

then for the OOC.,...

replace UCF with Wyoming

replace UNC with Utah

Looking at it from that perspective you've got to guess if USF was BSU with our team and that schedule I see us at a minimum of 11-1.

I'm not sure why you wrote all of that since it has nothing to do with my comment that Boise would gladly trade membership in a BCS conference for the one BCS Bowl they are in this season.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  64

then for the OOC.,...

replace UCF with Wyoming

replace UNC with Utah

Hmmm, so now you are belittling what Boise St. did???  You sure do have the BCS mantra down pat already.  They beat Oregon St.  Do you remember that Oregon St. beat USC this year????  And the WAC had some good teams in it.  Just as many as the BE.  And your statement that UCF would have been 8-4 there proves you know nothing about the rest of college football.  I love how you try and compare UNC to Utah and Oregon St. to Kansas.  They aren't even close in comparison.

You guys are thinking WAY too highly of yourselves if you think you would have gone 11-1  minimum with that schedule.