• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Recruiting the Secondary

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

This is how Leavitt is on talent eval, he and staff see a good one and they don't have a clue about rankings they just zero in.  Washington now is getting tons of interest, and conversely there are a lot of 'better known' corner recruits that USF could jump in on that are interested in USF but the staff grades Washington with the best of them.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I assume Tyson Butler will also get lots of interest.  I like to see our coaches on kids early that no one else heard of who then turn into "3-star" or better players, like McCluster and McCaskill last year.  I think Washington and Butler may be that this year, but hopefully we can hold on to these.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,664
  • Days Won:  29

Yahoo/Rivals:

Tyson Butler (5' 11") from Cypress Lake High School was in Pittsburgh this past weekend for an official visit.

Butler currently has visits scheduled to Central Florida and South Florida in January. Butler told the Pantherlair that a decision will probably not be coming until sometime in January.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I like to see our coaches on kids early that no one else heard of who then turn into "3-star" or better players, like McCluster and McCaskill last year.  I think Washington and Butler may be that this year, but hopefully we can hold on to these.

Unfortunately, we lost out on McCluster to Ole' Miss. He would have been a great addition that would have contributed some more depth at RB or we could have moved him into the slot to play WR. All that is water under the bridge though.

Let's see who else we can get to bolster USF's secondary for 2007. I hope we can pull off a top-30 recruiting class.

• 3 weeks later...

USF calls on BC commit Peterson

By Robert Mohr, EagleAction.com Recruiting Analyst – Rivals.com

Last time EagleAction.com checked in with Tampa (Fla.) Jesuit cornerback Michael Peterson, his commitment to Boston College was as unsettled as the Eagle coaching situation. Now that former Packers offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski is taking over as the Eagle's new head coach, is the three-star defensive back's future secured at The Heights?

"I'm trying to make my mind up," said Peterson. "I'm definitely going to Boston the first week of January. Then I'll see if I still like Boston College."

During the period that the Boston College's head coach was up-in-the-air, Peterson received calls from South Florida, Vanderbilt, and Georgia Tech. He has yet to schedule any visits with those schools. Consequently, Jagodzinski will get first crack to make a good impression on the No. 53 cornerback in the country next month.

"The city's the same, the school's the same, it's all about the coaching," he said. "I really don't know much about him except that he was a coach of the Packers and a former coach at Boston College, so he can't be too bad.

"It's very important to me that some of the (current BC) coaches stay. I like Jason Swepson, Kevin Lempa, and Frank Spaziani. I'd have to think about staying if all of those coaches are gone."

Peterson is participating in the Florida North-South All-Star Game in Lakewood with fellow Boston College commitment Lars Anderson. He expects to receive some other offers during that exhibition.

"I'm trying to decide who I'm going to visit," he said. "Hopefully, I'll know that after the all-star game."

Brian Peters

Height:6-3

Weight:194

40:4.61

Rivals/Yahoo:

It didn't come with a bow and it wasn't left under the tree, but Pickerington (OH) Central prospect Brian Peters received one of his Christmas gifts a little early this year when Northwestern offered him a scholarship on December 19th.

Northwestern is one of 10 schools to have offered Peters a scholarship, and this weekend, he will be one of nine recruits – five commitments and four prospects – in Evanston on his official visit.

Peters has offers from two BCS-conference schools - Northwestern and Cincinnati - and he's still being recruited by West Virginia and Michigan State. In addition, he also has offers from Air Force, Akron, Ball State, Bowling Green, Miami (OH), Ohio, South Florida and Toledo.

He visited Cincinnati and Michigan State in December, and is scheduled to visit Northwestern and Ohio in January.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

Carlton Hill was quoted as saying he is going to ask Leavitt for a chance to play safety

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Carlton Hill was quoted as saying he is going to ask Leavitt for a chance to play safety

That could be pretty sweet.