• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF No Longer Confident In Kicking Game

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

LOL ... 56 Yarder !!!

8-)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

LOL ... 56 Yarder !!!

8-)

Clutch

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

brad has asked me to give specific instances on problems with special teams over the past years

i simply dont have that type of memory or recall

but generally the problems  have been

since gramatica's have left kicking a field goal has been an adventure

the penalties on  special team  has been a problem for so long

tackling and blocking has been less than average

no body has been afraid of usf's special teams until randolf this year

the last time we have a feared return man  was deruben

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

brad has asked me to give specific instances on problems with special teams over the past years

I've only been watching USF for 4 years now, so maybe that's why I have a better memory than you.

ok, might want to look up some stats so we know what kind of an adventure it is.  field goal kicking seems to be the most unsure thing in college footballl anyway.  and look, we have a guy that can hit a 56-yard kick.

huh?  you mean the first 2 games this year when randolph had a few called back?  I can't remember penalties recently on special teams.  No roughing kickers, no blocks in the back.  But hey, you said your memory was bad...

oh, so we must be giving up returns for TDs and have a terrible return average.  oh wait, randolph, taurus, jenkins, and others have a good return average.

Brian Fisher.  and that's just my short memory.  Jackie Chambers, perhaps?

got me there, i can't remember him.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

"i simply dont have that type of memory or recall"

Then how can you say such a thing with no such memory of it?  

Good try...but for one to make such claims one should really have more than a little fluff to throw on.

Hey did you know we were second in BE in punt returns last season?  And Deandrew Rubin left a long time ago.  Jackie Chambers, whom you have conveniently overlooked, led the Big East last year.

Chad Simpson led the BE in kickoff returns averaging 25.25 per return.

We were third overall in Net Punting

BTW, kicking was an adventure when the Gramaticas were here.  Bronson did alright last year in the interim and we are developing two young kickers.

There is no doubt our kicking/punting this year has been laden with issues, mostly resulting from youth.  

To say Jim Leavitt is incompetent only serves your agenda and make you look worse than incompetent.

Further unsubstantiated comments will be removed along with their owner.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Actually, we kicked more fg's last year than the previous year with santiago.

Right, that Reed kid sucked at kick-off returns .....

Truth is, smazza, this is just another example of your selective memory blurring the truth.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

Clearly the kicking game led to our loss to Pitt this year... oh wait.

Teachey helped us win this game using both feet more so than with punting. That is special teams yet no one wants to bring that up because those fakes were successful. Had they failed like the one the game before against Cinci-- oh man-- you guys would be riding that horse until it collapsed.

I know we need help kicking-- but sometimes you guys act like the media and only yap about the bad stuff that you can unearth. And by the way-- that missed extra point was mostly due to the snap being high from what I saw. Anyway-- not making excuses-- kicking has been subpar all year long and I really have no answers.

The call in the UC game was not about the call but rather the situation in the game and the field position we had when he tried the fake.  The fakes against Pitt and the one against UC are only the same in that they were both fakes but the timing and field positions were polar opposites.  Theres a huge difference between calling a fake punt late in a game inside your own territory that if you are not successful it could give the other team a great field position to put you away and a calling a fake punt in the first quarter of a game thats scoreless where you still have virtually the whole game to make up for it.  If you cant see the difference in the two play calls and their situation maybe you should stick to taking pictures.    

perhaps you didn't hear what CJL said about the situation. He knew it was risky but he also knew that they had been covering the Teachey punts very well and surmised that a punt in that situation may only get them another 20 yards of field position. So he was willing to take a chance. Truth be told-- Teachey stumbled a bit and also had trouble holding the ball on the play-- had he been able to just get the ball and run, he would have beat the defender who was pursuing to the corner (just like he did twice against Pitt).

It's funny-- I actually have a similar opinion to yours in that I felt the play was too risky at that juncture. Once coach explained his thinking, I could see why he did it-- even if I don't agree. You can't get everyone to agree on these things BUT it takes a serious set of balls to make that call and own up to it if it fails-- which is exactly what CJL did. It is not like this is the first time CJL made a difficult/risky/tough decision at a critical juncture. This call was one of those ones where you really put it all on the line-- if you're right = GENIUS, if you are wrong or the play doesn't develop = DOGHOUSE

As for your know-it-all comments and this opinion that I should simply "stick to taking pictures"-- how about you bite me? Since when is my opinion any less valid than anyone else's on this board?