• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF No Longer Confident In Kicking Game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

That is basically what it boils down to....we have not had a good kicker since Bill Gramatica but this is the 1st year that our punting game is also awful. Baker and Umholtz were money. I'm scared everytime we punt. Also, I used to think hey, just get to the 30 yd line and at least we are in FG range. Now, we gotta score the TD, don't even bother lining up for the FG unless it's a fake or you are going to pooch punt it. PATs are even scary.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

Clearly the kicking game led to our loss to Pitt this year... oh wait.

Teachey helped us win this game using both feet more so than with punting. That is special teams yet no one wants to bring that up because those fakes were successful. Had they failed like the one the game before against Cinci-- oh man-- you guys would be riding that horse until it collapsed.

I know we need help kicking-- but sometimes you guys act like the media and only yap about the bad stuff that you can unearth. And by the way-- that missed extra point was mostly due to the snap being high from what I saw. Anyway-- not making excuses-- kicking has been subpar all year long and I really have no answers.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

don't forget his one missed field goal was blocked, which is the lines fault for not keeping the d-line in check, not his fault on that one.

The problem is bigger, CJL shouldn't be the special teams coach.  He doesn't have time to focus and train. For example, there have been opportunities for the freshman punter to punt from the middle of the field, say in the NC game or UConn game, but Leavitt chose not to give them that experiece.  Every player needs a position coach to act as a buffer between he and the head coach, especially neurotics like kickers.

Just a bad plan design, in my opinion, that will never work.

I would also like to see Petrov and Alvarado get some punts in when the game isn't on the line and we aren't backed up into the end zone.  Good experience for next year.

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

Just remember that one of the bigger mistakes occurred in the UCF game and that was around midfield.

That was Alvarado kicking that time. That may have been the last straw for CJL on the punting situation. Better safe than sorry/fool me once attitude. They do need more experience though-- not sure where they get it, perhaps the Cuse game if we can get a nice lead and not have to worry about the mistakes hurting us (not counting on that by the way).

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  27
  • Days Won:  0

Kicking in all aspects, kickoffs, field goals, and punting takes a mental ability to block out everything and adjust. Teachey has seemed to adjust easier than Benzer or Alvarado. He wasn't a recruited punter but did it for the team. He seems to have nerves of steel. Maybe it is time to change and give him a chance to kick field goals.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

don't forget his one missed field goal was blocked, which is the lines fault for not keeping the d-line in check, not his fault on that one.

The problem is bigger, CJL shouldn't be the special teams coach.  He doesn't have time to focus and train. For example, there have been opportunities for the freshman punter to punt from the middle of the field, say in the NC game or UConn game, but Leavitt chose not to give them that experiece.  Every player needs a position coach to act as a buffer between he and the head coach, especially neurotics like kickers.

great point

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

great point

If I'm not mistaken Bobby Petrino is L'ville's O-Coordinator and Greg Schiano is Rutger's D-Coordinator.  They both seem to do OK.  

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Clearly the kicking game led to our loss to Pitt this year... oh wait.

Teachey helped us win this game using both feet more so than with punting. That is special teams yet no one wants to bring that up because those fakes were successful. Had they failed like the one the game before against Cinci-- oh man-- you guys would be riding that horse until it collapsed.

I know we need help kicking-- but sometimes you guys act like the media and only yap about the bad stuff that you can unearth. And by the way-- that missed extra point was mostly due to the snap being high from what I saw. Anyway-- not making excuses-- kicking has been subpar all year long and I really have no answers.

The call in the UC game was not about the call but rather the situation in the game and the field position we had when he tried the fake.  The fakes against Pitt and the one against UC are only the same in that they were both fakes but the timing and field positions were polar opposites.  Theres a huge difference between calling a fake punt late in a game inside your own territory that if you are not successful it could give the other team a great field position to put you away and a calling a fake punt in the first quarter of a game thats scoreless where you still have virtually the whole game to make up for it.  If you cant see the difference in the two play calls and their situation maybe you should stick to taking pictures.    

• Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

The call in the UC game was not about the call but rather the situation in the game and the field position we had when he tried the fake.  The fakes against Pitt and the one against UC are only the same in that they were both fakes but the timing and field positions were polar opposites.  Theres a huge difference between calling a fake punt late in a game inside your own territory that if you are not successful it could give the other team a great field position to put you away and a calling a fake punt in the first quarter of a game thats scoreless where you still have virtually the whole game to make up for it.  If you cant see the difference in the two play calls and their situation maybe you should stick to taking pictures.

It's all in how you want to look at it. We had the ball twice in the 3rd quarter of the UC game and turned it over both times. We were looking like **** and something, anything was needed to possibly light a fire under the team. The call was a good one. The execution failed. CJL basically rolled the dice on that one play and lost.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  0

teachey great leg,but no idea where it is going