• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

how does it benefit usf

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I'm with Smazza all the way on this one.  No way could I be rooting for UC to beat Miami of Ohio or Akron.  The fact that they won those OOC games could put our bowl hopes in jeopardy if we end up with an overall record equal to theirs ( Yes I understand that if we would have beaten them it wouldn't have mattered, but that's a different conversation).  Did we really want UCONN to beat Wake Forest and Navy?  Wins there would have left them in the same situation as us (that being 1 win against 'cuse to be bowl eligible).  Then our bowl chances would have really been more precarious than they already are.

On one level it makes some sense to root for the conference teams to do well to create a positive image for the conference during these past couple of transition years, but it is kind of stupid from a competitive perspective.  

The only time I'm rooting for a conference member is if it either beneficial to us or during a bowl game.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  81
  • Days Won:  0

I hope at some point we will need as many BE OOC wins as possible to help us in the BCS standings.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

I've never met anyone who was a fan of any team in any conference that didn't root for their own conference mates to win games. Pretty much a given to root for (in order of preference) 1)your team then 2) your conference. And smazza every win your conference can pull out against non conference foes has the direct benefit of giving your team more respect when you play the teams within your conference. Just look at the respect the sec teams have and this is reflected in the polls.

Now, certainly it would make no sense whatsoever to actually root for your own team to lose but that is a completely different issue that hoping that the rest of the conference does well in all other games.

btw, if usc fans root against pac10 teams then they certainly shouldn't ***** if the pollsters rate them poorly due to perceived conference weakness. I've heard for years ******** about an "east coast bias" when it came to the polls, ever wonder why that was?

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

what a philosophy! it wont hurt much!

please get the whole quote in there "if" we lose and WV wins a NC.

you must not be a usf fan

you know better than that

to throw usf under the bus so another big east team can advance is not being a fan

And this spoken from the bus driver   ::)

my teams and myself always took pride in being a spoiler if my was out of it

had some bad teams did you ?  bad recruiting or bad coaching ?  ;D

get some pride man

Tons of Bulls pride.  I just see the big picture and I will be very proud if the National Champion comes from the BE.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,212

USF all the way.  After that, the Big East teams.  What's good for the BE is good for us as long as it doesn't put us in a lesser bowl.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

I've never met anyone who was a fan of any team in any conference that didn't root for their own conference mates to win games. Pretty much a given to root for (in order of preference) 1)your team then 2) your conference. And smazza every win your conference can pull out against non conference foes has the direct benefit of giving your team more respect when you play the teams within your conference. Just look at the respect the sec teams have and this is reflected in the polls.

Now, certainly it would make no sense whatsoever to actually root for your own team to lose but that is a completely different issue that hoping that the rest of the conference does well in all other games.

btw, if usc fans root against pac10 teams then they certainly shouldn't ***** if the pollsters rate them poorly due to perceived conference weakness. I've heard for years ******** about an "east coast bias" when it came to the polls, ever wonder why that was?

I've often wondered about the personifying myth that the SEC produces the best football.  Says who?  I was told that the SEC earns more dollars then any other conference in football, and they have a strong PR contract they maintain to keep the myths alive and well about their programs.

Look at the myths out there, hey Louisville's beating of Miami is rather impressive a 31-7 beat down at home.  Their other losses were nailbiters to Gtech, and FSU.  UL beat UK 59-21, UK is now 4-4 and only LSU beat them as handily.  UL beat KSU and now KSU is 5-4 and looking more and more like a bowl team.  If UF struggles mightily against UK, and UL blows them away then who's the person personifying the myth that UL couldn't be on the same field as UF?

Honestly, as it stands, and I watch a lot of college football (sat in the sports book at Atlantis this weekend on Saturday from 11AM until 7:30PM- wife wasn't happy) and there isn't a team out there I think UL and WVU couldn't run with and beat.    The two best other undefeated teams are OSU, and Michigan, and I watched Michigan struggle like crazy against NW!  I watched Indiana absolutely dismantle Michigan State, and Iowa in consecutive games they were beaten by Uconn.

WVU absolutely destroyed Maryland.  i mean a supreme arse kicking, Maryland is sitting 6-2 right now and looking more formidable each week.  I know this week Notre Dame wants Rutger's secrets about containing the Navy option....

You can go on, and on, and on but as I see it today WVU, and UL deserve to be in the top 5.   For now, we'll see where it ends up, but as of today they deserve to be there.

I always get a kick out of people talking about how one loss teams deserve to be ahead of WVU, and they say why is because of WVU's weak schedule.  Yet the next sentence you'll see that Auburn got knocked out of the top 10 by an unranked team, USC got knocked out of the top 10 by an unranked team.  

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

I've often wondered about the personifying myth that the SEC produces the best football.  Says who?  I was told that the SEC earns more dollars then any other conference in football, and they have a strong PR contract they maintain to keep the myths alive and well about their programs.

Look at the myths out there, hey Louisville's beating of Miami is rather impressive a 31-7 beat down at home.  Their other losses were nailbiters to Gtech, and FSU.  UL beat UK 59-21, UK is now 4-4 and only LSU beat them as handily.  UL beat KSU and now KSU is 5-4 and looking more and more like a bowl team.  If UF struggles mightily against UK, and UL blows them away then who's the person personifying the myth that UL couldn't be on the same field as UF?

Honestly, as it stands, and I watch a lot of college football (sat in the sports book at Atlantis this weekend on Saturday from 11AM until 7:30PM- wife wasn't happy) and there isn't a team out there I think UL and WVU couldn't run with and beat.    The two best other undefeated teams are OSU, and Michigan, and I watched Michigan struggle like crazy against NW!  I watched Indiana absolutely dismantle Michigan State, and Iowa in consecutive games they were beaten by Uconn.

WVU absolutely destroyed Maryland.  i mean a supreme arse kicking, Maryland is sitting 6-2 right now and looking more formidable each week.  I know this week Notre Dame wants Rutger's secrets about containing the Navy option....

You can go on, and on, and on but as I see it today WVU, and UL deserve to be in the top 5.   For now, we'll see where it ends up, but as of today they deserve to be there.

I always get a kick out of people talking about how one loss teams deserve to be ahead of WVU, and they say why is because of WVU's weak schedule.  Yet the next sentence you'll see that Auburn got knocked out of the top 10 by an unranked team, USC got knocked out of the top 10 by an unranked team.  

I agree completely, however back on topic, it still benefits all schools in a conference for that conference to do well against teams outside of the conference.

About the SEC, I also agree that the perception is way out of whack compared to reality. It's my opinion that people just get caught up in the names and their past strenghts. Over the past 20 years it seems a large number of SEC teams have had periods of greatness, but the teams have seasawed from one to the other and never all great at the same time. So in essence the SEC is really benefiting from that inconsistency and over time just about all the names in the conference have an association with being great. The other conferences just happen to be more consistent with the same handfull of teams always at the top so the illusion is that there are fewer teams that are good...even though at one point in time there are about the same number of good vs bad teams in each conference.

Cracks me up though, in the big 10 Iowa loses to indiana and all we hear about is how over rated Iowa and the Big 10 is. However, Georgia loses to Vandy and the talk is all about how even the lesser teams in the SEC are strong  ::)

The BE on the other hand doesn't really have anyone aside from maybe Pitt that has been great at any period in their histories so it will be imperative for the BE to win a few NCs before we can start being viewed as anything close to the SEC to the majority of people in this country.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

I have a hard time believing that any UGA fan ever roots for the Gators or a Sooner fan ever roots for Texas.

The SEC and the Big 12 were not in perceived danger of losing their BCS bids after the conference shake-ups.  

gator and texas fans do not root for other teams under any cirmcumstance

other sec and big 12 teams dont either

Head_bang_desk.gif

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

mentioning wv is a laugher.you need to look up something called strength of schedule.

one loss teams from pac 10,sec,big ten and texas deserve to be in NC over undefeated big east team

WHY?  because those teams played a much harder schedule.texas played osu!

wv played eastern washinton

again all one needs to do is to look at strength of schedule.

wv hasnt played a ranked team yet!

wv/ul fans will be disappointed at end of season again.

you want national respect you need to play a top 15 schedule

usc already arkansas on road and destroyed them and beat a ranked nebraska team.when WV schedules like that they to will get  national respect

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

WHY?  because those teams played a much harder schedule.texas played osu!

And they lost. End of discussion.  Who else did they play in non conference.  Was it any better than WVUs schedule.

This discussion is very simple.  Let me break it down for everyone.

1) You root for USF to win out, first and foremost.

2) If USF can't win out, root for either WVU or UL to be in NC game.  Why?

a) Because it will benefit the Big East for years to come.

B) So therefore, it will benefit USF for years to come.

c) And will solidify our position as one of the BCS power conferences.

Very simple.  Any questions...