• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brett McMurphy is owed an

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

brett always was polite and easy going with me

and like hightech answered all my questions

i found brett to be very knowlegdeable

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

It's disappointing seeing all the cheapshots taken at Brett. I would definitely say its not easy covering USF athletics...

I have my own theory though.

I notice that Greg Aumun's blog reports a lot on walk-ons (my personal favorite for obvious reasons). Unfortuantely though... in 95% of the cases, most of the walk-ons end up like I did... riding the pine, experiencing minimal game playing time despite their 110% effort they consciously left on the practice field day in and day out.

Greg Aumun's writing reminds me of a walk-on's efforts. He consciously goes out of his way to write the feel good story (which we all appreciate). The problem is... the Leavitt's of the world see when a player's potential is maxed out... when the upside is no longer there. For every walk-on that leaves everything on the practice field (I left my heart out there), there is the DeAndrew Rubin that can turn "it" on when he needs to. Its a God given talent difference.

Here comes Brett McMurphy. For the hundreds of feel good stories written by Greg Aumun this year, all's it takes is McMurphy doing a story like "USF at 100", and we realize the difference between the two writers. Brett knows when he needs to step it up... the problem is... people don't want to hear both sides of the story that Brett does report.

To this day, the articles written about Seth after his departure got under my skin (Seth was my homeboy). But, like **** Vitale said to me... (I can't remember the word for word quote from Vitale), "You have to win the big one when the lights are shining."

Brett reports pretty objectively IMO even though the Seth stories got under my skin. Seth didn't win the big ones though in the end. But those opportune moments Seth had gave Brett a huge audience.

For all the Huggins talk, RMC has won some games against teams that we weren't suppose to beat... but has RMC ever had to coach a meaningful game like when we played UF and we're 7-0, or when we're playing the 'Cuse at 7-1? Who cares if we beat a ranked Georgetown when we're 6-21. A story like that might get minimal headline space on C-9 of the sports section.

My personal feelings are the more USF wins, the more Brett and Greg have a chance to shine. Winning will bring more local viewers of their stories and more of a national audience when a game against the Georgetown's of the world actually mean something.

I can live with Brett being ancy on the trigger finger when he questions a bad call that costs us the game, or a coach that hasn't even gotten USF to the point where our last coach left us (.500). Reading the feel good story every day about a new walk-on that plays men's hoops gets old knowing how sad our situation really is. The writers need to hold the coaches just as responsible as we do. If USF shines, so do the writers... when USF sucks in hoops as we do know... we become another obscure blip in Florida until change happens... as the writer's career becomes stagnant as well.

We should all look up the word 'objective'. And after that, look up the word 'mediocre'. If you're happy with the present state of USF athletics, don't even think of looking up the word 'great'.

Some of you alum here we're supporting USF when I was still in grade school trying to figure out where Florida was. Maybe things are ten times better now than back in the day (we have football now and we're in the Big East in hoops)... but there is much needed room for improvement. Being objective is the one way to realize how far we still have to go.

Oh yeah... UF still sucks!

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

It's disappointing seeing all the cheapshots taken at Brett. I would definitely say its not easy covering USF athletics...

I notice that Greg Aumun's blog reports a lot on walk-ons (my personal favorite for obvious reasons). Unfortuantely though... in 95% of the cases, most of the walk-ons end up like I did... riding the pine, experiencing minimal game playing time despite their 110% effort they consciously left on the practice field day in and day out.

Greg Aumun's writing reminds me of a walk-on's efforts. He consciously goes out of his way to write the feel good story (which we all appreciate). The problem is... the Leavitt's of the world see when a player's potential is maxed out... when the upside is no longer there. For every walk-on that leaves everything on the practice field (I left my heart out there), there is the DeAndrew Rubin that can turn "it" on when he needs to. Its a God given talent difference.

Here comes Brett McMurphy. For the hundreds of feel good stories written by Greg Aumun this year, all's it takes is McMurphy doing a story like "USF at 100", and we realize the difference between the two writers. Brett knows when he needs to step it up... the problem is... people don't want to hear both sides of the story that Brett does report.

To this day, the articles written about Seth after his departure got under my skin (Seth was my homeboy). But, like **** Vitale said to me... (I can't remember the word for word quote from Vitale), "You have to win the big one when the lights are shining."

Brett reports pretty objectively IMO even though the Seth stories got under my skin. Seth didn't win the big ones though in the end. But those opportune moments Seth had gave Brett a huge audience.

For all the Huggins talk, RMC has won some games against teams that we weren't suppose to beat... but has RMC ever had to coach a meaningful game like when we played UF and we're 7-0, or when we're playing the 'Cuse at 7-1? Who cares if we beat a ranked Georgetown when we're 6-21. A story like that might get minimal headline space on C-9 of the sports section.

My personal feelings are the more USF wins, the more Brett and Greg have a chance to shine. Winning will bring more local viewers of their stories and more of a national audience when a game against the Georgetown's of the world actually mean something.

I can live with Brett being ancy on the trigger finger when he questions a bad call that costs us the game, or a coach that hasn't even gotten USF to the point where our last coach left us (.500). Reading the feel good story every day about a new walk-on that plays men's hoops gets old knowing how sad our situation really is. The writers need to hold the coaches just as responsible as we do. If USF shines, so do the writers... when USF sucks in hoops as we do know... we become another obscure blip in Florida until change happens... as the writer's career becomes stagnant as well.

We should all look up the word 'objective'. And after that, look up the word 'mediocre'. If you're happy with the present state of USF athletics, don't even think of looking up the word 'great'.

Some of you alum here we're supporting USF when I was still in grade school trying to figure out where Florida was. Maybe things are ten times better now than back in the day (we have football now and we're in the Big East in hoops)... but there is much needed room for improvement. Being objective is the one way to realize how far we still have to go.

Great reply Sheriff.

I think the difference is that since St Pete Times PAYS USF to be the Official Newspaper of USF Athletics...I think the Times tends to overly focus on just positive stories...whereas the Tribune, just tries to cover the facts, which can be both good and not-so good.

Both Greg and Brett are very good writers...but I think its their Corporate stance from each (one a sponsor, the other not) that ends up dictating what stories are actually written.

Its the rule of life...just follow the $$$$$...and there, in 98.6% of the cases...you can find the answer what you are looking for.

KL

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Thought I'd check in here, just because it seems to come up a lot. I can't really say enough to make it clear that my employer's relationship as the official newspaper of USF athletics really has nothing to do with the decisions made by editors as to the content, direction or extent of my coverage of USF athletics.

I can understand why there's a perception that one thing might be a factor in another, but it's really not the case. As a reporter, I'm lucky in that the business interests in the paper are well insulated from the news decisions on the editorial side of the paper. You see ads for USF events in my newspaper, you see frontage for the Times at USF events, yes, but that really doesn't spill over into what I do. So while you're welcome to think my coverage of USF is too positive -- I could argue on that matter separately -- I don't want anyone to think that has something to do with the sponsorship agreement.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Dude you have no idea.  Many of you think this is some internet grudge.  Ask USF, people that are really effected by this stuff and then you might see clearer.  Brett and the Tribune have to report, and say some tough things.  That everyone understands and I am fine with, it's the creation of things, and presentation....that's what really get the gall of many.

Ask Eddie Cardieri when USF wanted to send him off on a positive note, and Brett's article was a "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out" article.   Poor timing, poor information, poor sources (one was a player that was disgruntled because he got caught cheating)....write it before the season when it might have been warranted and informative not at the end when USF was preparing to politely end Eddie's tenure.

seems like sbien has a grudge against brett

why dont you cite the 100+ articles brett has written

Thought I'd check in here, just because it seems to come up a lot. I can't really say enough to make it clear that my employer's relationship as the official newspaper of USF athletics really has nothing to do with the decisions made by editors as to the content, direction or extent of my coverage of USF athletics.

I can understand why there's a perception that one thing might be a factor in another, but it's really not the case. As a reporter, I'm lucky in that the business interests in the paper are well insulated from the news decisions on the editorial side of the paper. You see ads for USF events in my newspaper, you see frontage for the Times at USF events, yes, but that really doesn't spill over into what I do. So while you're welcome to think my coverage of USF is too positive -- I could argue on that matter separately -- I don't want anyone to think that has something to do with the sponsorship agreement.

I believe that to be the case Greg, and I think KL is acting ignorant and tacty.  There's quite often information and articles from the Times that I do not like.  Sheldon and Romano have been pretty tough at times but the Times has been very relative in their coverage and criticism and kept things in context.  Sure we're screwed an opportunity against Cinci, and you guys let us know it, the Leavitt'isms' blog after UNC.  You don't let us off the hook.  Not sending someone to NYC for the BE hoops---shame!

My reference to the tribune and as it relates to the Times buying the rights to be USF's official paper was it's ironic that the Tribune was so upset about USF selling it to the Times and being outbid, and yet the editors over there are so adament about how insignificant USF is to the area at times- from a sports perspective.  So insignificant yet you were upset to not be the official paper.

You're so far removed from USF athletics that you don't even have a clue.  My disappointment in the Tribune is not personal, and I am not nearly alone.

You can run around without a clue and spew off things you don't know about and are 100% wrong about, but if you were even remotely close to the University, and athletics and didn't have this stupid grudge you would understand what I am talking about.

You're so far removed from USF athletics that you don't even have a clue.  My disappointment in the Tribune is not personal, and I am not nearly alone.

You can run around without a clue and spew off things you don't know about and are 100% wrong about, but if you were even remotely close to the University, and athletics and didn't have this stupid grudge you would understand what I am talking about.

if you dont stand for something

you fall for anything

brett has been there for usf thick and thin

i stand  by brett

if you dont stand for something

you fall for anything

brett has been there for usf thick and thin

i stand  by brett

You know it's rather fitting that you would defend him, in a very pathetic sort of way.  

Be glad, you to were made for one another, but 'being there for usf thick and thin' is ignorant since his actual job is to work USF.   He has no other choice then to 'be there'.

But you two do make the perfect couple!