• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gameday making some valid points-Your Thoughts??

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

They were speaking about a one loss team jumping an undefeated Big East team to play the winner of Ohio St/Michigan for the championship.

Kirk does not believe there will be an undefeated BE team saying they are good enough to beat each other, he further said only a one loss Florida or Auburn team would jump an undefeated Big East Team. (The SEC conference is the only conference worthy of that)

The best point made was by Desmond Howard who said WVU cannot schedule "cup cake" teams such as ECU, Marshall, & Maryland and then expect to play for the national title in the end and cry if they get jumped.

Your thoughts??

I think the Big Ten and PAC 10 could also claim a 1 loss team in the mix as well. Say Michigan were to beat Ohio State and USC lost a game. You could almost make a case for Ohio State and Michigan playing again in Glendale.

Desmond Howard is an idiot. Those schedules are made up years in advance and I am sure there are some Top 25 teams who wold want no part of WVU right now.

Kirk also said the ONLY, ONLY, ONLY 1 loss team that could jump the BE team would be a 1 loss SEC team.  NOT a 1 loss Pac10, Big 10, or Big 12 team.  And as WVU's schedule improves they will likely jump over a 1 loss Auburn, meaning they will have at least a 50/50 shot at playing in NC game, provided someone beats USC.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

My thoughts ...

Some times you never know where a team will be ranked in the future. Look at Missouri & Iowa ranked ... when UNC signed Rutgers, sure people joked about playing the basement of The Big East.

AND ... it's not easy to schedule a bigger team because they do not want to play you for two reasons:

A. They have a fear of losing to a team that is not historically a winner.

2. They lose money playing at OOC. SEC & Big 10(plus 1) make more money playing smaller OOC at Home.

Personally for USF ... I am "fine" with the future schedule - to a degree ... yes it is weak, but we still need to build a fan base. We could win ALL the games and not get in because of the schedule, but also ... we don't have many fans to travel either. We may lose lower tier bowls because of our travel numbers.

At this point, I am "okay' with winning and argueing that we got shafted.

For the record, I would prefer 2 bigger names in our OOC, but I do not wanna travel for pay games.

We play Kansas and NC State in 2008 ... who knows if they will be ranked or the way they are this year . . .

My goal is to win the Big East each Year ! What ever happens, we have no control over it.

HOPING FOR A PLAYOFF !

I agree with ET 100%.  I like our scheduling.  GRADUALLY increase the difficulty of our schedule as we improve.  I would rather be a 10-2/11-1 team that was wondering if we got the shaft than a team scrapping to be bowl eligible every year because we played too many tough OOC games every year.  That said, I do believe we need at least one, possibly 2 challenges every year (UM, Auburn, FL) to provide a spotlight on our program if/when we win.  DW is doing a fantastic job scheduling, in light of the fact we are still a new BCS program.  Some of you are forgetting that fact.  Do you think every BCS program is knocking down our door to do a 1 and 1 deal with us.  No, because we haven't built up the recognition yet, but we are getting there slowly but surely.  We don't do 2-1 deals with BCS teams period.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  165

isn't it crazy how much can change in one year?

Last season, all we ever heard from ESPN was how terrible the Big East was and how they don't even deserve a BCS slot. Now they change their tune almost 180 degrees and talk about the NC possibilities.

I don't consider OOC scheduling all that important personally. If you have a conference with more than 3 ranked teams in it and you play all those teams-- you are playing a tough schedule and an undefeated season is an accomplishment. Whether it is good enough to play for the NC is up to the BCS computer and the polls that influence it.

As for USF-- I am far more concerned that we compete and win a Big East title than worry about our chances for a NC. If we had run the table this season -- NO ONE would have given us a shot at the NC. We have to win something else first like the conference. That is why WVU is getting so much respect and why Louisville also deserves it-- they have showed over a period of time they are quality teams.

We will get there. I'm sure in 1995 none of us even had the foggiest idea we would be having a discussion even close to this. Take that to heart and appreciate how far USF has come in such a short period. Don't make the mistake that a little success immediately means we are one of the big boys-- it's not realistic and not how things work in the world of college football.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

They were speaking about a one loss team jumping an undefeated Big East team to play the winner of Ohio St/Michigan for the championship.

Kirk does not believe there will be an undefeated BE team saying they are good enough to beat each other, he further said only a one loss Florida or Auburn team would jump an undefeated Big East Team. (The SEC conference is the only conference worthy of that)

The best point made was by Desmond Howard who said WVU cannot schedule "cup cake" teams such as ECU, Marshall, & Maryland and then expect to play for the national title in the end and cry if they get jumped.

Your thoughts??

I think the Big Ten and PAC 10 could also claim a 1 loss team in the mix as well. Say Michigan were to beat Ohio State and USC lost a game. You could almost make a case for Ohio State and Michigan playing again in Glendale.

Desmond Howard is an idiot. Those schedules are made up years in advance and I am sure there are some Top 25 teams who wold want no part of WVU right now.

Kirk also said the ONLY, ONLY, ONLY 1 loss team that could jump the BE team would be a 1 loss SEC team.  NOT a 1 loss Pac10, Big 10, or Big 12 team.  And as WVU's schedule improves they will likely jump over a 1 loss Auburn, meaning they will have at least a 50/50 shot at playing in NC game, provided someone beats USC.

dont you know pac 10 is best conference in computer pols...

1 loss pac 10 tem is better than undefeted big east team..

USC is teh best team on planet....

;)

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Your thoughts??

I agree with Kirk, but the only point of contention with Desmond is that Maryland right now is 5-2, and will at worst finish 7-5 and go bowling, a team that finished in the top 15 twice over the past four years it's hard to be critical about scheduling them.

As for ECU, and Marshall, well the ECU thing is painful, and hurtful because that's a weak scheduling move.  I feel for WVU though because they were forced to sign with Marshall, and this move should explain to some, and make you realize that we are in the BCS, why USF should stay away from UCF.  The point is Desmond's saying having Marshall, weak-ass, in-state wannabe rival, that's in C-DOA (hmmm sound like someone you know) does nothing but hurt their SOS, and perception to voters.  Taking that into consideration, and some of those ignorant ass fans that don't think "BCS" should matter about scheduling, what happens next year (remember USF is returning as many as 33 players that have started) if USF is 8-0 at this juncture, and Desmond says the same thing about us?  

Sure some have said we schedule weak, which I don't necessarily agree with, but forcing yourself into an annual series against a non-BCS opponents limits you as a BCS program.  If we ever were in that position those fools saying the UCF game is good should never complain.  WVU was forced into that series, they could have continued with the Vtech series (which I am sure they would have destroyed) and the perception would have been better, as well as their ranking.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Your thoughts??

first paragragh is accurate

second isnt

wv needs to go on road and play a top ten team,this can be done rather easily.they need to do this next year if they want to be in NC hunt. all they nned to do id pick up phone,but reality is wv is quite happy with their current status

when 12th game was added wv ran to book eastern washington

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Your thoughts??

I agree with Kirk, but the only point of contention with Desmond is that Maryland right now is 5-2, and will at worst finish 7-5 and go bowling, a team that finished in the top 15 twice over the past four years it's hard to be critical about scheduling them.

As for ECU, and Marshall, well the ECU thing is painful, and hurtful because that's a weak scheduling move.  I feel for WVU though because they were forced to sign with Marshall, and this move should explain to some, and make you realize that we are in the BCS, why USF should stay away from UCF.  The point is Desmond's saying having Marshall, weak-ass, in-state wannabe rival, that's in C-DOA (hmmm sound like someone you know) does nothing but hurt their SOS, and perception to voters.  Taking that into consideration, and some of those ignorant ass fans that don't think "BCS" should matter about scheduling, what happens next year (remember USF is returning as many as 33 players that have started) if USF is 8-0 at this juncture, and Desmond says the same thing about us?  

Sure some have said we schedule weak, which I don't necessarily agree with, but forcing yourself into an annual series against a non-BCS opponents limits you as a BCS program.  If we ever were in that position those fools saying the UCF game is good should never complain.  WVU was forced into that series, they could have continued with the Vtech series (which I am sure they would have destroyed) and the perception would have been better, as well as their ranking.

there are several 1aa with tougher schedules than usf

a sos OF 130 IS a weak schedule

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  41

"when 12th game was added wv ran to book eastern washington"  

This plain and simply isnt true. A MAC team(Buff) dropped us for a bigger paycheck...granted EWU is probably better than Buff.  Marshall was forced upon us. Maryland is a long time border rival. And we lost BC, VT and Miami because of the raid and they were  replaced with teams like the mighty USF Bulls and Cincy. WVU did not want this sched what so ever.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Cameron, that's just Smazza... he rarely knows what he's talking about.  He just likes to *****.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

"when 12th game was added wv ran to book eastern washington"  

This plain and simply isnt true. A MAC team(Buff) dropped us for a bigger paycheck...granted EWU is probably better than Buff.  Marshall was forced upon us. Maryland is a long time border rival. And we lost BC, VT and Miami because of the raid and they were  replaced with teams like the mighty USF Bulls and Cincy. WVU did not want this sched what so ever.

you left out L'ville

and UM & va tech are not ranked this yr either