• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

One thing Big East means: No more TCU

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

From the Louisville Courier Journal

One thing Big East means: No more TCU :-/

Rick Bozich  

FORT WORTH, Texas  To the dazzling list of benefits the University of Louisville will gain by jumping to the Big East from Conference USA in 2005, do not forget to add another: No more football games against Texas Christian.

No more nights of watching the Horned Frogs' offense run right, run left, run deep, run wild, run nearly anywhere it desires.

No more watching TCU defenders strut, pounce and pop the Cardinals in the kisser without flinching.

And, most of all, no more tasting the kind of heartburn the Cards tasted last night when Nate Smith's 44-yard field-goal attempt on the final play of the game knuckled into a stiff Northern wind, kissed the crossbar and fell backwards to the ground.

TCU 31, Louisville 28.

"We were all kind of speechless," UofL linebacker Rod Day said. "We have total confidence in Nate. Ten out of 10 times, he makes that kick. This time it was a little short. That happens sometimes."

INCHES from being a hero, Smith dropped to the ground, nearly trampled by TCU players streaking to celebrate the Horned Frogs' ninth straight victory in a perfect season that attracted scouts from five bowl games  including the Fiesta of the Bowl Championship Series  to wet and chilly Amon Carter Stadium. TCU kicker Nick Browne walked to the center of the field, lifted Smith from the ground, consoled him and then rushed to join his teammates in celebration.

Now TCU has achieved something only one other Conference USA team  Southern Mississippi  has achieved: beat the Cards three straight.

BUT THIS one was different from the 37-22 and 45-31 spankings of the past two years. This time the Cards watched the Horned Frogs dance up and down the field for a half. Of TCU's first 27 plays, a dozen went for 10 yards or more. The Horned Frogs moved the ball as if they were playing Arena football. No wonder TCU sprinted to a 14-3 and 21-10 leads.

"This time we decided to take the fight to them," Day said. "They said a lot of things about us in the papers, that we weren't a tough team. They won the game. They're a very good team. But we played right with them."

IF THE Horned Frogs are ranked No.9 in the latest BCS standings, the Cards can argue they're 9A. Coach Bobby Petrino's team showed it could deliver a hit as well as take one. On a night when Louisville outgained TCU by 119 yards, the Cards lost because of three missed field-goal attempts, a season-high 120 yards in penalties and confusion about how to stop TCU from running a simple option attack.

TCU ran the option like it was 1973. Rambling to the corner, quarterback Brandon Hassell read the defense for the pitch or the run. He usually made the right call, keeping the ball 11 times for 61 yards and pitching to halfbacks Robert Merrill and Lonta Hobbs, who ran for a combined 133 yards.

AS GOOD AS Hassell was, UofL quarterback Stefan LeFors was better. Forced to survive without the comforting presence of running back Eric Shelton, who left the game in the first quarter with a neck injury, LeFors decided that the Cards weren't going to be blown out the way they had been blown out the last two seasons.

LeFors was nearly as dangerous as Hassell running the ball, and he was unstoppable throwing it, completing 31of46 passes 459 yards with a touchdown and no interceptions.

But this season has been magical for TCU  magic that now includes a third straight victory over UofL.

Rick Bozich's column normally runs Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. You can reach him at (502) 582-4650.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,577
  • Days Won:  29

I would like to get a HOME - Away game with them .... REVENGE !!!

• 7 years later...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

That's great!

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

EL OH EL!

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

i still remember how to hate these **************!

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

i still remember how to hate these **************!

Hoping, as the most misfit entries in the BE, that we can begin having a rivalry of sorts. Heck, not only are we the biggest misfits geographically, but we're the states the rest of the country most wants to make inroads into. FL vs. TX football, mmmm...

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Glad to have them back