• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

I'm also not convinced that an OCS should be a priority for the school at this time.  Nothing wrong with the atmosphere at RJS (and I haven't even been to the "big" games since 2002).  For comparison, I happened to be passing through West Virginia last Thanksgiving and stopped at the Pitt-WVU "Backyard Brawl" and the atmosphere there wasn't much different than what you'd see at our home games (I believe they have an OCS in Morgantown).

I've never been to a football game at Gainesville, Tuscaloosa, etc, but I have to believe that the atmosphere at those games differs from ours due more to the relative importance their fans place on college football -- it seems they have nothing else to live for in those towns and a significant portion of their fans are not students, nor alumni, nor employees.  I really don't see that happening in Tampa and building an OCS won't bring in those non-USF-affiliated fans. Winning would do more.

However, as for that pirate ship in the endzone, no one hates the Bucs more than I do.  So, instead of storming the field after the next big win, how about storming the ship and carrying out its masts onto Dale Mabry instead of the goalposts?  Don't think security would anticipate that. . .

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,212
  • Days Won:  0

RJS is a top notch stadium, and I'm sure players enjoy playing in a "pro" stadium.  Another plus is that it is centrally located for most Pinellas and Hillsborough fans.  As our fan base increases, the stadium will become fuller (especially for the "minor" games) and we will get more of a big college atmosphere.

I agree that the pirate ship is a distraction.  From where I sit, it blocks most of the jumbotron.  As far as sinking it  ;D, the guards won't let anyone near it.   Also, the endzone mezzanines encourage fans to mingle there and it makes the stadium look less full.

When the student and season ticket holder base get large enough to fill a stadium, then it is time to consider an OCS, but not some 40k erector set.

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

Ray Jay.........might be the worst place to play college game.

It is way too big....

Too big?

Are you kidding me?!

This is what makes it obvious that you just say things to get a rise out of people, and that you're an idiot.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

I think any player you ask would choose playing at RJS a pro-football stadium than some glorified HS field which is what we would get unless we spend big bucks. So until we are getting 50,000+ a game  and can afford an on campus stadium that would be comparable to RJS I say we stay.

I am more concerned about us as fans showing up for any team we play at any time or date. Right now thats a biger problem than an on campus stadium

An on campus stadium makes for good water cooler talk but since we can't control that other than showing up for games, 'd rather talk about earning that first BCS bid.

Yes, because we here on The Bulls Pen have so much more control over THAT.

OCS debates that are informed and well-reasoned are perfectly good off-season topics. No matter how much the dead horse has been beaten.

Unfortunately, too often these threads disgress because people don't see the forest for the trees.  An OCS has to be part of the big picture of USF Athletics, but USF Athletics is not and should never be only about football.

So, Bulls fans and other posters, when you are replying on an OCS thread, you really need to ask yourself if you are adding anything to the discussion or merely typing to see your name on the thread.

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

Actually the whole "players love the setup of Ray Jay" I think is a little overblown as well.

Most of the players complain that locker room is too small and wasn't made for a 80 person plus college roster.

And yes the atmosphere would be great if we put 67K in the stands, but we don't.

I just long for the day when I drive to the University to watch the University play a big time football game.

Call me a traditionalist.  But I want an OCS.

I know its not coming for atleast another 10 years.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I've never been to a football game at Gainesville, Tuscaloosa, etc, but I have to believe that the atmosphere at those games differs from ours due more to the relative importance their fans place on college football -- it seems they have nothing else to live for in those towns and a significant portion of their fans are not students, nor alumni, nor employees.  I really don't see that happening in Tampa and building an OCS won't bring in those non-USF-affiliated fans. Winning would do more.

I couldn't agree more.  I have been to games at the Swamp, and the crowd is definitely into it.  I have been to games at Death Valley, and the crowds are definitely into it.  However, the reason they are into it isn't because the stadium resides on their campus, it is because the fans have full buy in on the program.  An on campus stadium would marginally increase the atmosphere for our program at this time.  Full buy in for the program through consistently winning would bring electricity regardless of where we play.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

Too big?

Are you kidding me?!

This is what makes it obvious that you just say things to get a rise out of people, and that you're an idiot.

Way to contribute to the thread big shoop.  Too big meaning, we do not fill the stadium so it makes the game dull and quiet sometimes.  

A stadium on campus would be great, but not a priority.  Win first and more kids will come down to Ray Jay to actually go into the game instead of just tailgating.  Bring in big names, create rivalries and fill up the top section noone will care where we are playing.  

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  63

I have attended and played at the Swamp, Neyland stadium, the LA Coliseum and up at Pitt when they won a national championship (I am showing my age) and all the ACC stadium. I attended my first USF game  vs UWV,  and it matched up pretty well with all but the best SEC stadiums. A few more folks and RJ would be superior to all the ACC stadiums except FSU and Miami (but only for the big games). And trust me, the coaching staff does use RJ as a selling tool to recruits. I vote No OCS until it can be big time and be at least 65,000 plus.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

While I want it as much as anyone the fans, players, and coaches need to earn it.

The fan base needs to continue t expand and the players and coaches need to continue to win....if this occurs with the largest factor being winning. The fans will follow especially  in a front running city like Tampa.

At that time which we all hope is 7-10 years away the school and community will be ready for CJL field.