• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  393
  • Days Won:  0

I looked at the Athlon Magazine college football preview edition today at my local Barnes and Noble. Near the back of the magazine are photos of several cheerleaders. They have a nice profile of a South Florida cheerleader. However, our alma mater is called "South Florida University." UNBELIEVABLE!!! A national publication should know our university's correct name.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

Winning will cure that I remember when Miami used to be called Miami University and kept being confused with Miami in Ohio. They actually used to say Miami(Fl) in reports.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

I love being an SFU Bull. Nice job Athlon, rediculous.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

Winning will cure that I remember when Miami used to be called Miami University and kept being confused with Miami in Ohio. They actually used to say Miami(Fl) in reports.

You actually still see Miami (FL) and Miami (OH) very frequently these days.  The fact that the one in FL is the better team these days and the one in OH was better historically doesn't mean anything...they're both programs with multiple good years and NFL players under their belts.  Might as well put the state tag to avoid confusion.

Thats also the reason I have a personal preference that we appear as "South Florida" and not USF.  There are 3 USFs that I can name off hand and probably more, but only one South Florida.  S. Fla is acceptable as well on those shortened scoreboard tickers.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

I was at Hooters in Gainesville this week.  Paid my bill with my USF visa.  My waitress looked at it and said "did you go to Southern Florida?"

SHE WAS READING RIGHT OFF THE VISA CARD?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,653
  • Days Won:  424

I was at Hooters in Gainesville this week.  Paid my bill with my USF visa.  My waitress looked at it and said "did you go to Southern Florida?"

Could there be any dumber combination than a Hooters waitress/UF co-ed?

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

Calm down, WWW... neither literacy nor common sense is a requirement in Gainesville.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

would u expect anything less from a uf co-ed, they are only good for one thing

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  580

From one directional school to another - you're taking it too personally.  No one is trying to piss you off.  It's like having a long last name - people will get it wrong until they are used to it.

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

With the new logo in 2003, the school decided to officially add "South Florida" to the list of unacceptable names used by media or on merchandise (like "St. Louis" is for Saint Louis or "Depaul" is for DePaul; S.Fla, So.Fla, and South FL were already on the banned list).  Although mostly ignored, it was a bad idea in my opinion.  I've found that depressingly few people outside of Hillsborough County can correctly identify all three words represented by U.S.F. which ultimately leads to your typical mistakes.  I've even encountered someone who was familiar with "South Florida" sports but thought "USF" was a different school!  I guess the university has since backed off its stance (that "South Florida" is not to be used in print except as "University of South Florida" and then only the first time, and thereafter could only use USF . . . ), and my last trip to the campus bookstore found more official merchandise with "South Florida" written (although "The University of" is always in small print, never far away).

UCFKnights04, point taken and agreed.  Although, there are a few waitresses here in St. Louis who intentionally call us "Southern Florida" when I ask for a game on TV simply because they know it gets under my skin. . . oh well, at least it saves me money on the tip.