• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

With the new logo in 2003, the school decided to officially add "South Florida" to the list of unacceptable names used by media or on merchandise (like "St. Louis" is for Saint Louis or "Depaul" is for DePaul; S.Fla, So.Fla, and South FL were already on the banned list).  Although mostly ignored, it was a bad idea in my opinion.  I've found that depressingly few people outside of Hillsborough County can correctly identify all three words represented by U.S.F. which ultimately leads to your typical mistakes.  I've even encountered someone who was familiar with "South Florida" sports but thought "USF" was a different school!  I guess the university has since backed off its stance (that "South Florida" is not to be used in print except as "University of South Florida" and then only the first time, and thereafter could only use USF . . . ), and my last trip to the campus bookstore found more official merchandise with "South Florida" written (although "The University of" is always in small print, never far away).

UCFKnights04, point taken and agreed.  Although, there are a few waitresses here in St. Louis who intentionally call us "Southern Florida" when I ask for a game on TV simply because they know it gets under my skin. . . oh well, at least it saves me money on the tip.

Well said Doc.

Just to add it happens to a lot of schools. Miami (OH) is not Miami of Ohio, its Miami University. The original settlers of the Miami Valley in Ohio moved to Southern Florida on (missionary work maybe?) and named the city Miami. The common phrase is Miami was a University before Florida was a state. In fact at freshman orientation there they say that as the welcoming line.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  614
  • Days Won:  0

Could there be any dumber combination than a Hooters waitress/UF co-ed?

Calm down, WWW... neither literacy nor common sense is a requirement in Gainesville.

Rather dumb comments considering the fact that  admissions acceptance at UF is known to be more selective than at USF.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

Could there be any dumber combination than a Hooters waitress/UF co-ed?

Trip gets the POTW!!!

Good one!

KL

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,653
  • Days Won:  424

Rather dumb comments considering the fact that  admissions acceptance at UF is known to be more selective than at USF.

OK, so there is one combination dumber than a Hooters' waitress/UF co-ed ........

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Ease up Turkey Soup and use some common sense yourself.