• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

This would create a proble and cause a chain reaction with the scholarship limitations in place. kid transfers to a team then school fills that slot with another transfer and so on and so on. It would be like free agency with kids jumping around.

slaves do not have a choice these kids do not have to play sports if they do not want to. I am sure you never played any sports so you would not understand how great it is to play football and most people would do anything to play college ball.

YOU LIKE TO KEEP PEOPLE DOWN AND IN TOW

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

WHY SHOULD  A COACH BE ABLE TO PICK UP AND LEAVE

EDUCATION DOESNT BEGIN TO COVER IT

COST OF EDUCATION IS CHUMP CHANGE COMPARED TO WHAT UNIVERSITIES AND WHITE DOMINATED ncaa RECEIVE

FREE AGENCY IS GOOD NOT BAD

NO REASON IN WORLD WHY KIDS SHOULD BE ABLE TO SWITCH SCHOOLS ACCEPT TO PROTECT SCHOOLS AND NCAA

WITH SUCH A RESTRCITIVE RULE SCHOOLS HAVE UNFAIR BARGAINING POSITION

NUKEBULL- YOU ARE NOT FOR FREE MARKET WHEN IT COMES TO KEEPING PEOPLE DOWN

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

It's not smazza, look up the history of the rule. Kids were changing schools like their underwear and doing so in many cases by illegal contact and booster calls. That is why the NCAA REQUIRES the year for D-IA but not D-IAA or lower. Those at the smaller schools weren't the ones doing it. It is merely to protect the interests of the student athletes, although it be in a a very restricitive way they STILL have the option of going to D-IAA or lower getting their school paid for and playing football.

Kids STILL have the chance to not take a year off to go to I-AA if they do so with at least 2 years remaining. The only difference is someone with 3 years of eligibility would have to take a year off to go down.

As a former student athlete and one who works with student athletes it is fair.

As for your white dominated NCAA, there are several leaders in the NCAA offices that are black. I'm sure Sidney McPhee, Clinton Bristow, and Ivory Nelson would agree with me...

Yes they are all black and on the small NCAA Executive Committee that helped pass this regualtion.

Get your facts straight before spewing BS like that.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I believe Smazza said white dominated... not all black exclusive.

These athletes are treated like slaves of the system. Look at USC for instance... star QB shares a room with a star receiver. they are best friends. Dad of star QB helps star receiver with rent payments. Now star receiver is breaking all types of wacko rules. I have the same roommates from college and I still can't remember how many times I helped them out with money or vice versa. The money issue with the NCAA is so wack! Hold the kid down while the institution gets rich. People like Andre Hall and Marquel Blackwell worked wonders for USF revenues for football while in college. If neither one makes a dime in football after college, USF isn't sharing what they did for the university. And don't say the education is the reward. I remember argueing once with Phllysis Labaw and Cindy when I was playing because they would cater classes to my teammates to ensure they were eligible, not to what could possibly help them in life. The whole system is flawed. The NCAA is a sports factory (which I do like, don't get me wrong), but these athletes are left out in the cold when their eligibility is done. To this day I'm still encourgaging DRube to finish his degree. What about the other fan favorites at USF? Did they graduate? Anyone... Marquel, Hugh Smith, Andre Hall, Ant Henry, BB Waldon, Altron Jackson... I'm spewing names... maybe they did... maybe they didn't. USF shouldn't be off the hook until they do graduate though IMO. They got four years of play and marketing from the guys... make sure the guys get four years of education (not four years worth of Mickey Mouse classes to stay eligible).  

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  1,812
  • Days Won:  0

The players can skip college get a job and wait till they are eligible for NFL draft if it so Awful for them. I did 6 years of Military service to pay for my schooling and would have jumped at chance to play a sport for scholarship and housing. As far as making money very few schools make money on their sports programs especially when you consider the number of schools in all divisions.

If a football player does not go back and get their degree or get their degree than that is their fault, many players with red shirts graduate early and many players of all sports at all schools do graduate. If a single mom raising 2 kids can go back to school while working and get degree than a football player or other athlete can.

Please keep in mind there are over 4,000 colleges in the US with athletics so making your arguments based on 50 to 100 football schools is foolish.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I did six years of military service... yet I still have a pretty hefty loan situation. Why is that arguement foolish... these are the schools the arguement pertains to. That's why these rules are made in the first place. The arguement is quite relative. They take super athlete kids from broken homes that managed to get through the high school system... say we'll give you a free education and housing... now play ball and make the school millions on TV, ESPN, through bowl games, etc. Nah... that's not exploitation. Come on Nukebull... you're smarter than that. Does Dexter Manley ring a bell... hell... after reading the blog of one our own freshman... I wondered how the hell the kid even had an SAT high enough to get into USF. And it isn't like our standards are Harvard like in comparison.

I do think that they should have a degree in athletics for athletes that are looking at turning pro. They have degrees in Band and acting so this makes sense to me. The athlete would get credit for playing and practicing and would get classes in the basic curriculum and money management and what not, maybe even physical therapy or health. This degree would prepare them for the world out there a little better. None scholarship students like myself can chose any major we want and it is up to us to make use of it. I did accounting because I had to work after college right away as I had a family and people are always hiring accountants. Some of my friend took art or other majors just to do their time and ended up unemployed.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  57

I do think that they should have a degree in athletics for athletes that are looking at turning pro. They have degrees in Band and acting so this makes sense to me. The athlete would get credit for playing and practicing and would get classes in the basic curriculum and money management and what not, maybe even physical therapy or health. This degree would prepare them for the world out there a little better. None scholarship students like myself can chose any major we want and it is up to us to make use of it. I did accounting because I had to work after college right away as I had a family and people are always hiring accountants. Some of my friend took art or other majors just to do their time and ended up unemployed.

the trouble would be a ton of football and basketball players would choose this major while an incredibly small percentage actually have the talent to put this "degree" to use.  you'd have a million "college graduates" with a degree less impressive than an 8th grade diploma.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I did six years of military service... yet I still have a pretty hefty loan situation. Why is that arguement foolish... these are the schools the arguement pertains to. That's why these rules are made in the first place. The arguement is quite relative. They take super athlete kids from broken homes that managed to get through the high school system... say we'll give you a free education and housing... now play ball and make the school millions on TV, ESPN, through bowl games, etc. Nah... that's not exploitation. Come on Nukebull... you're smarter than that. Does Dexter Manley ring a bell... hell... after reading the blog of one our own freshman... I wondered how the hell the kid even had an SAT high enough to get into USF. And it isn't like our standards are Harvard like in comparison.

Sherrif there are alternatives, like the arena league 2, you can be 18 and play for pay there until qualified for the NFL draft.

Ther reality is 99% of all football players in division I (that is IA and IAA) will never see the NFL. They are getting a free education, free board, free books, and free connections for their life after football. If they chose not to take this they can stay home and be farmers, etc.

Name anyone outside a student athlete who is guarenteed something similar getting an education...The byproduct is you have to play for an organization that pays the school millions...

the trouble would be a ton of football and basketball players would choose this major while an incredibly small percentage actually have the talent to put this "degree" to use.  you'd have a million "college graduates" with a degree less impressive than an 8th grade diploma.

What is the difference between this and a Liberal Arts degree? there are millions of students with this degree now?  I could list the non carer degrees offered but will save the space.