• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rate the QB's

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334
  • Days Won:  0

First of all, there was major improvement at this position from last spring.  In fact, it looked like we really had QB's, unpolished though they are.  Rate it just on the spring game!

Here's mine:

1.  PJ: We all know this guy.  He's wildly inconsistant, having good and bad days.  Today was a good day.  He had some bad throws, but no picks and 2 td's to his credit.  The long run was beautiful...well to the white team.

2. MG: Well, he threw 2 picks.  I hate to see that.  We all hate to see that.  He plays well and is pretty accurate, and isn't afraid to make his reads.  He just needs to get better.

3. CH: He made some good plays and some panic type mistakes.  He didn't, however, throw an INT OR fumble the football.  This makes it hard for me to put him behind grothe, but he also made very little happen.

4.  AS: Impressive, considering nobody ever talks about him, or even acknowledges his existence in this race.  If he had a bit better of an arm he'd be #2, since he wouldn't have underthrown that pass for a pick in that case.

Note:  Hill and Grothe were at an extreme disadvantage in this game, with below average blocking and downright awful snaps.  Right now, I don't understand how Hill is a clear cut #1.  PJ and Grothe are right there.

Biggest concerns coming out of spring for me?  Longsnapping and the kicking game.  Line drive punts like that might not even let our defense see the field.  They're a returner's dream...USF has to avoid giving returners 10-15 yards of room as they catch it.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,386
  • Days Won:  10

I just posted this in another thread:

My impressions of the QB situation from the game tonight:

1.  No surprise with Justmissed -- He was kicking up dirt again with his passes, although he was awesome as a blocker on one running play

2.  Hill looked better than I though he would.  Don't want to like him over Matt, but he has a rocket arm.

3.  Yeah, so Grothe threw the int's -- he was looking real good otherwise.  And I agree with what others have said about his arm strength.  Hill has a much harder throw, although Grothe did hook up with a couple of medium-long passes.  I still like him best, if he can shake that interception thing.

4.  Who is this Serverino?  He looked better than his ranking among these quarterbacks.  He also got a good amount of play time.

From what I saw tonight, there is no reason to go with justmissed as our starting qb.  He also looks a lot heavier than I remember and more than the 220 he was listed at.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,386
  • Days Won:  10

Biggest concerns coming out of spring for me?  Longsnapping and the kicking game.  Line drive punts like that might not even let our defense see the field.  They're a returner's dream...USF has to avoid giving returners 10-15 yards of room as they catch it.

I agree.  What was horrible about tonight was the amount of snaps that were dirt or ankle high.  Our QB's will not be able to get a rhythm from the shotgun if they have to pick the ball up from the ground before looking up and passing.  And the kicking game was as bad as you say.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

1. Julmiste had a good day... proved that he has the talent and with a decent QB coach could become a good QB.  Defenitely looked the best tonight.

2. Hill looked okay, but definitely showed he has missed half of the spring.  I sure hope he gets everything together, he has the talent.

3. Grothe, I sure hope he looked better during previous practices than tonight, I think Sevrino looked better.

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

I also just posted this in another thread:

IMO from what I saw tonight..

The battle for the qb will be between Matt and Pat. Of course C4 will be great, but if the season were to start today, it would be between Matt and Pat.

Matt: Yes, Matt had the int's, but he played great. There were a few times that Matt had to throw to his third option (when was the last time we saw this from a USF qb? Blackwell?). The kid is smart on the field. Also, the guy has moves! There were a couple of times that he avoided sacks and was able to complete the pass.

Pat: Yes, his first pass was to the ground about 5 yards short of the wr. But he was above average with the rest of the game IMO. He had that long td and had that nice touch pass to Amarri down the sideline. Plus, the guy has a rocket; he just needs to tune the rocket down for those short passes.

C4: Maybe because he didn't participate all of spring, but he did not show us that he deserves to be the starter. Maybe things will be different during the summer.

Anthony S: Well if Pat, Matt, and C4 get hurt.. I think we can still become bowl eligible (maybe) with him under center.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

First: The centers are banged up. Only one of the two was a projected center, and he has a bum ankle. So although they played poorly, it should not be an indiciation of what's to come.

On the QBs: Julmiste had a solid day, not too bad, not wowing. I'd probably say he was the best out there tonight, and Leavitt seemed to agree. Hill only had 3 practices due to class woes but still looked pretty good tonight, but again, he didnt do anything that stands out in my mind. I personally liked what Grothe showed me the most. Considering this kid didnt sniff the ones at all last year, running the scout team. Jenkins acknowledged that he knew that first ball was coming. The INT in the endzone was a silly mistake (esp considering his favorite reciever Amp Hill was wide open). But aside from those two INTs, I think Grothe really showed he could be our answer. Also, a reciever who I will leave unnamed said he thinks Grothe throws the most catchable ball of all of them and knows when to take some off of it if he needs to.

Overall Leavitt sounded pretty excited about our prospects. I think this team can be a legitimate contender for the Big East title in the next couple of years.

I think this team can be a legitimate contender for the Big East title in the next couple of years.

2007 will be a great year (maybe the year we go to a BCS bowl game). We have a shot next year, but those last two away games will be real tough.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Tonight it was clearly 1. PJ, 2. tied- Grothe and Hill then Severino.

Grothe actually threw three picks, both he and Hill were plagued by bad center play.

Grothe actually threw three picks, both he and Hill were plagued by bad center play.

Really? I counted two..so did the Trib

One to Jenkins for a TD and the other was in the end zone. What was the other?

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037

I had told myself I would not post about this topic at all but I do have to say it was 2 picks but keep in mind this is the first time he has been on the field at ray jay and was nervouse as hell but as the game went on he got into the grove. I was very happy with what I saw. He will be fine.