• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is USF's image affected by its name?

Guest bullistic930

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

You guys are hilarious.

Yes the directional name is kind of connotating, but if you win that goes away! While it will be years before we're at that level, Southern Cal or USC is a school that doesn't have a directional problem because they have been a football power for years.

Schools like Central Michigan, North Texas, and Southern Miss have problems because they aren't the cream of the crop in football (the latter two are decent programs, but not USC)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532
  • Days Won:  0

You guys are hilarious.

Yes the directional name is kind of connotating, but if you win that goes away! While it will be years before we're at that level, Southern Cal or USC is a school that doesn't have a directional problem because they have been a football power for years.

Schools like Central Michigan, North Texas, and Southern Miss have problems because they aren't the cream of the crop in football (the latter two are decent programs, but not USC)

I must agree.  Once our research and athletic programs improve and start winning/annoucing developments we will see big time national coverage.  You don't get national coverage unless you are on a national stage.  We are getting better (UofL games, etc).  We arnt the no name school anymore!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

eatme- i guess you are having trouble following the subject

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Best name was already taken.  University of Tampa.  UT has a great sound -hmm sounds familiar.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

WE ARE USF!!!  University of South Florida! If ya don't like it, jump the ship and be a freakin Gayturd fan!!! Geeze people. Stand by your school. Quit sounding like a bunch of yuppie jackasses over martini's!    The Reaper!

Guest Sprtsfn627

As Ralphie May put it, "Why the h*** would you trust a school that doesn't even know where it is?".

I personally think the name is fine, and it wouldn't bother me if we kept it.  But I also see the point that the name doesn't make sense.  Something along the lines of Tampa Bay University would make more sense geography wise.

Then again, can you imagine not chanting "S-O-U-T-H! F-L-O-R-I-D-A! SOUTH! FLORIDA! SOUTH! FLORIDA! GOOOOOOOO BULLS!"

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

I think we should buy the University of Tampa and claim their name in the merger.

;D

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

I think that you should be damned proud to call USF home!

I think you should support USF in any way you can.

I think that if you want recognition/respect, which is what this conversation is... YOU HAVE TO EARN IT!

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  557

Then again, can you imagine not chanting "S-O-U-T-H! F-L-O-R-I-D-A! SOUTH! FLORIDA! SOUTH! FLORIDA! GOOOOOOOO BULLS!"

Good point.  The few traditions we do have we can't change just because our name is a little missleading.  Let the critics think what they want, I am **** proud to be a SOUTH FLORIDA Bull in TAMPA FLORIDA

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

Ok...conversation tonight went something like this:

Coworker: "When people think of the state of Florida, they think of only three schools...FSU, UF, and Miami"

Me: "But USF just joined a BCS conference, has over 40,000 students.." etc etc

Coworker: "USF just sounds too much like a "directional" school...maybe if they had a different name..."

I was a little upset by this interaction.  I'm quite fond of the "University of South Florida" name...it sounds sexy to me.  But I can't help but wonder:  Do alot of other people feel the way my coworker feels?  He was not attacking USF or trying to be demeaning...

He suggested a name like "Tampa Bay University" (hence, the Tampa Bay Bulls) [glb]would "sound more like a major university, because if you're dont have a (State name) State University, or a University of (State), then you should be named after the metro area, a la Miami, Louisville, etc.[/glb]

I know the name issue has been brought up before.  But just want to hear your thoughts - do you think USF would be viewed as more "legit" somehow by the nation at large if we were TBU instead?  I know, I know...win and people will know who we are.  Any other thoughts?

University of Tampa is already taken Einstein.

PF2080.jpg

USF is just fine. Besides that is what is printed on my DIPLOMA!