• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  509
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know if anyone knows about this, but USF has a little section on the riverwalk in downtown right off of Platt/Chanelside called "University of South Florida Park".  Nothing much other than some benches and some stones that have all the different college names on them.  Nice presence downtown.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

now all we need is for the city of tampa to step up and actually make downtown a place anyone actually wants to go.  short of channelside there is NOTHING for anyone to do around there.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,212

Did you know that USF has its Center for Economic Development Research at channelside?  The company I used to work for had planning sessions in some of the classrooms there.  Great for the corporate community.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  127

now all we need is for the city of tampa to step up and actually make downtown a place anyone actually wants to go.  short of channelside there is NOTHING for anyone to do around there.

After visiting Portland (OR), Boston, DC, and other cities, you really see just how "dead" our city core is compared to the vibe in those cities.

The old philosophy here was to buy land and expand outwards (see New Tampa), which does nothing to promote downtown as a destination.   But places like Pinellas are making a killing on the tax dollars from condo towers, and Tampa's following suit.  I would think the long term goal is to funnel this into projects like the river walk (the one in San Antonio is a HUGE draw), more green space and other public areas.

Next time anybody drives on the Crosstown, count the number of tower cranes out there.  It's almost surreal to see the volume of condo development in the Channelside area.  Once buyers stop flipping and actually start moving in and living there, maybe the retail space and the vibe will follow.   And perhaps a light rail system...a standard in the "successful" cities.

USF Downtown (at the Port Authority) can only get bigger!!!   BTW...I know that the College of Architecture has been involved in some interesting revitalization projects with the city.  Hopefully they'll play a huge role in helping out...

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

usfdba...

It seems to be the model of all cities in Florida recently. However, my hometown Orlando has made a commitment to building condos and bring downtown life back. They are in the beginning stages, but after visiting a friend there over Christmas it is definitly improved. They have two 40 story condo buildings going up now there.

I think Tampa will eventually follow suit and focus on more than channel side. It's just a start

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  178

One thing there is to do is vist the Tampa Theatre. A real Jewel!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

GOOD TO KNOW

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,608
  • Days Won:  424

usfdba...

It seems to be the model of all cities in Florida recently. However, my hometown Orlando has made a commitment to building condos and bring downtown life back. They are in the beginning stages, but after visiting a friend there over Christmas it is definitly improved. They have two 40 story condo buildings going up now there.

I think Tampa will eventually follow suit and focus on more than channel side. It's just a start

You mean Orlando is following suit from Tampa about putting condos in the downtown area ........

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

usfdba...

You don't want to start this argument on this board.  especially with me.  They are building 300-400ft buildings in DT orlando, but multiple reports have indicated that the bubble is starting to burst  ie they are not all getting built.  There are height restrictions that will not allow tall buildings.  DT orlando is a joke.  The mayor and some of the city council folks are criminals over what they did without public discourse.  Just wait and see.  

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

ZBC while I am not going to get involved in the polotics of Orlando on this board because several of my family members are involved. only 2 of the buildings have been cancelled out of 10 planned. Will more get cancelled...yes, it's inevitable it happens everywhere.

Height restrictions have pissed off a lot of builders, but they are FAA restrictions because of the amount of airport traffic that goes over DT Orlando.

Triple...check your facts, the same companies are building in both cities. Most of the Orlando buildings were approved while Tampa's was still deciding whether to allow them or not.

No arguement here that Dyer is a criminal though. The guy is crooked and should not be in office. However he has not run Orlando into the ground like Glenda Hood did.